• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Used both tonight

ReviTULize

I had an Uber credit I have been waiting to use, so I used it tonight.

Uber...arrived on time, nice guy, not-so-clean car. Went 19 miles on a $20 credit and the ride was free...tipped $5

Lyft home...arrived on time, nice guy, very clean car. Exact same trip on Lyft...$27...$10 tip(may have been the alcohol).

Morale...keep your Lyft app on. I didn't mind paying more if it as worth it. As quick, as convenient...some people just prefer the app design and tipping convenience of Lyft. However, I don't care if you drive a 10 year old car...it should be the cleanest and best smelling car on the platform(may be the alcohol)

Huberis

A $20 credit covered a 19 mile ride. Was Uber & Lyft both surging upon time to go home? In my taxi, that 19 mile ride would be about $40 and I'd expect a decent tip....... Saturday, I ran an 18.3 mile trip early on, that came out to about 40 bucks, I got $55. To finish the evening, I had a 13 mile ride for $28, he was a bar manager on a rare night off, $40. Those are solid, slightly salty fares, but within a system that must actually account for actual operating costs, I wouldn't do it for less. 1/2 is mind blowing. Those numbers do illustrate the typical Uber drivers obsession with unpaid miles returning from what should have been a cherry fare.

As far as whether or not your perceptions were affected by alcohol, more than likely the case.

ReviTULize

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Good reply. The alcohol was only a factor on the ride home. But still, I wasn't very intoxicated. I always tip

Eat.Sleep.Drive

In my taxi, that 19 mile ride would be about $40 and I'd expect a decent tip.
That would ve been about $55 here in LA before any tip. Unless it's the airport, it's becoming harder to get that long a trip in a cab. Your cab fare seems a bit fair to compete with highly subsidized TnC fares.
Morale...keep your Lyft app on
I spoke with a former cab driver turned uberx/lyft driver the other day. On a Saturday evening, from 11pm to 4am, he said he made about $120 on uberx, and $38 on lyft. He had commercial insurance before, but since he cut back his hours to about 20 hrs/wk, he went back to regular insurance. Tried to refer me to Lyft to get $250 each, but still not sold. Even he agreed that for a full timer, cab is still the way to go.

Huberis

That would ve been about $55 here in LA before any tip. Unless it's the airport, it's becoming harder to get that long a trip in a cab. Your cab fare seems a bit fair to compete with highly subsidized TnC fares.

I spoke with a former cab driver turned uberx/lyft driver the other day. On a Saturday evening, from 11pm to 4am, he said he made about $120 on uberx, and $38 on lyft. He had commercial insurance before, but since he cut back his hours to about 20 hrs/wk, he went back to regular insurance. Tried to refer me to Lyft to get $250 each, but still not sold. Even he agreed that for a full timer, cab is still the way to go.
The taxi company I lease from is middle of the pack in terms of taxi rates here. We run at $2.10 a mile, the least expensive taxi company runs at $1.75/mile or at least they were. We were at $1.85 for quite a good long while, to change rates, taxi companies need to petition the PUC for approval.

Uber, when they came to town, they started at $1.75/mile, I can't remember the time charge at the moment. They started to surge this summer during our big summer bash. I assume they feel comfortable with their core number of drivers. My assumption is they will soon cut rates here. I heard rumor they did just that a week ago, but haven't verified it as so.

My assumption is they use the rock bottom rates to play off the grossly distorted rates created by surge. Any rate, I'd be shocked if they didn't cut rates now. It is all about manipulation, forcing cars on the road.

At that point, it will be interesting to see what becomes of the tenor of the Uber drivers around here once their honeymoon period is over. Rates may be cut just enough at first, to allow the surge to compensate. Regardless, it kills continuity. With surge pricing ruling the day, a driver needs to be hyper- vigilant. That can't be pleasant. My assumption is that if and when the time comes I am no longer able to make money here driving taxi, it will arrive at the same moment Uber driver's themselves will no longer be making any money either.

I do hope we keep the long call business, particularly because Uber drivers seem very distrustful of them. If a long run is at 1x in most markets........ to hear drivers proclaim they wouldn't go out of town at$0.90 - I simply wouldn't have anything to do with such an enterprise.

If a person is looking for more full time driving, the taxi is the more reasonable option. Enjoy, get a long ride.

Eat.Sleep.Drive

My assumption is that if and when the time comes I am no longer able to make money here driving taxi, it will arrive at the same moment Uber driver's themselves will no longer be making any money either.
Very true. I think there is still a long way to go before us cab drivers feel the real squeeze. The thing is they can sucker new drivers for as long as possible when others fail. They just started running advertising for drivers on a major TV network here in LA.. go figure. :rolleyes: