• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

USC Lyft Ride-Me raw bonus

elronaldo

Just got the text msg... when is Lyft going to learn that most rides have a destination outside their hot zone and while we might drive back to the hot zone 2 or 3 times before we learn better, NONE of us are going to drive back to the hot zone 20 or 30 times...

Guess it's good enough to get a naive newbie driver to pick up there once or twice.

Who wants to fight their way in to USC traffic for a short-ride pickup anyway?

Anybody make any $$ doing this?? How?? How did you get past the cops blocking you off from a 4x surge street party???

Woon

Just got the text msg... when is Lyft going to learn that most rides have a destination outside their hot zone and while we might drive back to the hot zone 2 or 3 times before we learn better, NONE of us are going to drive back to the hot zone 20 or 30 times...

Guess it's good enough to get a naive newbie driver to pick up there once or twice.

Who wants to fight their way in to USC traffic for a short-ride pickup anyway?

Anybody make any $$ doing this?? How?? How did you get past the cops blocking you off from a 4x surge street party???
It's probably 4th USC post :biggrin:

hulksmash

I read somewhere here that USC was tired of paying surge, and that students would have go pay surge. Since Lyft receipts still break down time, distance, and prime time, I'm thinking the school could use this to pass along prime time charges to their students. With Uber flat rates you could not tell.

Woon

I read somewhere here that USC was tired of paying surge, and that students would have go pay surge. Since Lyft receipts still break down time, distance, and prime time, I'm thinking the school could use this to pass along prime time charges to their students. With Uber flat rates you could not tell.
Students misuse the free ride given by school

Lyft USC trips with no tip option on the USC account......no bueno
There will be tip option, but students won't tip.

SorryBluetoothOnly

In order to steal USC business away from Uber, Lyft most certainly had to undercut them in price to the point where Uber finally said "Good luck with that!". This is likely a good example of "winner's curse". They don't realize the implications of what they agreed to...yet. Having experience with this, Uber knew that they had to shape their incentives around the fact that USC exists. Lyft has some growing pains ahead of them, but rest assured, they won't be losing money in the long run. Either incentives will change or USC rides will become exempt from incentive trip counts.

hulksmash

In order to steal USC business away from Uber, Lyft most certainly had to undercut them in price to the point where Uber finally said "Good luck with that!". This is likely a good example of "winner's curse". They don't realize the implications of what they agreed to...yet. Having experience with this, Uber knew that they had to shape their incentives around the fact that USC exists. Lyft has some growing pains ahead of them, but rest assured, they won't be losing money in the long run. Either incentives will change or USC rides will become exempt from incentive trip counts.
That sounds like Uber is choosing profits over increase in rides, it's not like them at all.

elronaldo

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Plus ppl don't use the SC to stand for 'Spoiled Children' for nothing. Entitled, privileged, suite of 6 chicas got really mad at me when I told them 6 of them could not ride in my car that only takes 4 pax. If you pick up at 'The Lorenzo' they will keep you waiting forever - I think they have a contest to see how long it'll take a driver to cancel (1.5 minutes in my case)... just as bad are visiting parents staying at nearby hotels.

Watch out for the post-game surges there - cops will frequently close streets and you can't get in to get your pax anyway - kids with phones do not realize that Fig, Adams, etc. are closed off to drivers... call then and wait 30 minutes for them to walk out to you....

Woon

Plus ppl don't use the SC to stand for 'Spoiled Children' for nothing. Entitled, privileged, suite of 6 chicas got really mad at me when I told them 6 of them could not ride in my car that only takes 4 pax. If you pick up at 'The Lorenzo' they will keep you waiting forever - I think they have a contest to see how long it'll take a driver to cancel (1.5 minutes in my case)... just as bad are visiting parents staying at nearby hotels.

Watch out for the post-game surges there - cops will frequently close streets and you can't get in to get your pax anyway - kids with phones do not realize that Fig, Adams, etc. are closed off to drivers... call then and wait 30 minutes for them to walk out to you....
Uber for Spoiled Children?

UberIsAllFubared

Umm, it didn't surge over there for a long time. Ants even figured out USC was the place to go to meet their quests.

I guarantee uber was losing money on the USC pool rides, but they figured it was a good way to condition people to take uber for life. The problem uber is having is they are losing billions every quarter and no longer have the money to throw at "future" potential. They need to make money now.

Uber for Spoiled Children?

Actually, I disagree. When Uber had the 75 rides for$500, I went over to USC one night and did 50 rides in 6 hours. Everyone of those students were nice and polite. Every single one of them said please and thank you, and meant it. I was shocked, I thought they would be a bunch of spoiled brats, but they were the farthest thing from that. In fact, I have never had a problem with a USC student... and I can not say the same thing for UCLA Students.

Woon

Umm, it didn't surge over there for a long time. Ants even figured out USC was the place to go to meet their quests.

I guarantee uber was losing money on the USC pool rides, but they figured it was a good way to condition people to take uber for life. The problem uber is having is they are losing billions every quarter and no longer have the money to throw at "future" potential. They need to make money now.

Actually, I disagree. When Uber had the 75 rides for$500, I went over to USC one night and did 50 rides in 6 hours. Everyone of those students were nice and polite. Every single one of them said please and thank you, and meant it. I was shocked, I thought they would be a bunch of spoiled brats, but they were the farthest thing from that. In fact, I have never had a problem with a USC student... and I can not say the same thing for UCLA Students.
Wait until you pick up a student who demands for AUX cord + iphone charger in 2 blocks ride.

SorryBluetoothOnly

That sounds like Uber is choosing profits over increase in rides, it's not like them at all.
Then why didn't they just continue bidding Lyft down if they don't care about money? Yes, Uber is willing to lose money when it's strategically in their best interest. But everyone has a breaking point.