• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Upfront pricing theory...

BusinessAsUsual

just hopped out of an uber picking up my vehicle from maintenance... was about a 20 minute ride so i chatted up the driver not even letting on that i too was a driver.. he asked me did i do upfront pricing or ordered at that time.. i said ordered when i needed.. he was taking a survey and has been keeping track of how much more customers are being charged compared to what he makes.. He had an interesting theory on how the reason his 1099 form was way off about how much he made and what uber says he made was grossly based off of upfront pricing that he missed out on... says his 1099 was about $1600 off from what his bank statements showed... knowledgeable guy thats been doing it a while.. def rated and tipped him well... this could be why alot of people had differing 1099 forms than bank accounts last year.. damn.. smh...

JerseyBoy911

Wait, what?? Has this been verified??? they're putting down they're putting down that we made more than we actually did???

SuzeCB

just hopped out of an uber picking up my vehicle from maintenance... was about a 20 minute ride so i chatted up the driver not even letting on that i too was a driver.. he asked me did i do upfront pricing or ordered at that time.. i said ordered when i needed.. he was taking a survey and has been keeping track of how much more customers are being charged compared to what he makes.. He had an interesting theory on how the reason his 1099 form was way off about how much he made and what uber says he made was grossly based off of upfront pricing that he missed out on... says his 1099 was about $1600 off from what his bank statements showed... knowledgeable guy thats been doing it a while.. def rated and tipped him well... this could be why alot of people had differing 1099 forms than bank accounts last year.. damn.. smh...
Booking fees, other airport fees, Uber's cut, and the like get tacked on as if we got the money, and then it gets deducted off your taxable income back as if you did not get it at all, which you did not.

UberwhoIaM

Booking fees, other airport fees, Uber's cut, and the like get tacked on as if we got the money, and then it gets deducted off your taxable income back as if you did not get it at all, which you did not.
Exactly, and I can only imagine how many drivers don't realize those need to be taken off and are paying on that amount...

SuzeCB

Exactly, and I can only imagine how many drivers don't realize those need to be taken off and are paying on that amount...
If I have to wonder how many Uber drivers don't even report to the government what they got from Uber. How many think that since nothing got actually mailed to them, they don't have to. That it's some sort of under-the-table job.

BusinessAsUsual

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Wait, what?? Has this been verified??? they're putting down they're putting down that we made more than we actually did???
That was his theory... Was interesting to say the least... Made me really wonder...How does Uber report the extra income taken in from upfront pricing lol...

UberwhoIaM

If I have to wonder how many Uber drivers don't even report to the government what they got from Uber. How many think that since nothing got actually mailed to them, they don't have to. That it's some sort of under-the-table job.
OMG.. I wouldn't doubt it.... Especially those that never received 1099 before.....

That was his theory... Was interesting to say the least... Made me really wonder...How does Uber report the extra income taken in from upfront pricing lol...
I was thinking the exact same thing. I'd love to know how they handle that. Especially since the passenger is our customer and Uber is just a middleman handling the money. My guess is they don't report it. They are losing so much money anyway. This would be chump change compared to the three billion in losses they claimed last year

BusinessAsUsual

OMG.. I wouldn't doubt it.... Especially those that never received 1099 before.....

I was thinking the exact same thing. I'd love to know how they handle that. Especially since the passenger is our customer and Uber is just a middleman handling the money. My guess is they don't report it. They are losing so much money anyway. This would be chump change compared to the three billion in losses they claimed last year
I doubt they care about losing money now.. they're coming to kill the transportation rivals by any means necessary smh

werty

This is the answer to OP's question.

OP, your driver did zero tax research and is wasting his time on a pointless survey, and is falsely accusing Uber of theft due to his incompetence. Which makes him an idiot, but then again, that describes most rideshare drivers nowadays.

TheNJBen

Those 1099's are also transmitted to the IRS... if you don't file them a mail carrier like me will have deliver a certified letter from the IRS politely asking for some money plus penalties

newell138

Based on my conversations with some of the drivers I have had I dont think there is a high level of competence or intelligence out there doing this job. I would not be suprised if a lot of people are not doing their taxes properly when it comes to Uber or if they are even doing it at all. That being said the 1099 Uber sends is a tad confusing, it just takes time to sort it all out. My payments were within a few dollars of what my 1099 showed once I deducted everything I was supposed to deduct.

Fuzzyelvis

This has nothing to do with up front pricing. Uber reports what the pax paid. That's more than you got, but you get to deduct the difference as it is a business cost.

It's like owning a store and selling a candy bar. You report what the customer paid, but then deduct what you paid for the candy bar plus your other expenses like rent for your store.

In our case the fees and % we pay uber are the "cost" of the fare. Gas and other vehicle expenses (generally deducted as mileage) are the equivalent of other costs, and so on.

BusinessAsUsual

This has nothing to do with up front pricing. Uber reports what the pax paid. That's more than you got, but you get to deduct the difference as it is a business cost.

It's like owning a store and selling a candy bar. You report what the customer paid, but then deduct what you paid for the candy bar plus your other expenses like rent for your store.

In our case the fees and % we pay uber are the "cost" of the fare. Gas and other vehicle expenses (generally deducted as mileage) are the equivalent of other costs, and so on.
dont throw water on that theory, if you go over the threads on this forum youll see a bunch of people that complained that numbers dont add up even after a CPA did his numbers.. booking fees airport fees etc were calculated and it still didnt come up right... then uber comes back and re emails a bunch of 1099 forms after people complain that the numbers arent correct. explain.

dont throw water on that theory, if you go over the threads on this forum youll see a bunch of people that complained that numbers dont add up even after a CPA did his numbers.. booking fees airport fees etc were calculated and it still didnt come up right... then uber comes back and re emails a bunch of 1099 forms after people complain that the numbers arent correct. explain.
yes uber reports what a pax paid to them. for example, you do 1k rides on uber at $10 a piece last year. minus a flat 25% for all fees and booking its $7500 you took in. they send you a 1099 saying you took in $9000 after all fees. the driver clearly disagrees as he knows his bank account only shows he took in $7500.. where does the extra $1500 that uber says was earned come from?? the driver i met's theory is that uber pockets the extra cash per ride then dumps the tax burden off on the driver since in theory you were the one that earned the fare while driving even tho they gave u less than your allotted 20 or 25% on the ride.. am i making sense? i dont want to confuse anyone

Blunt power