Upfront pricing during pitbull?!

JaniceCT

i was watching apps around 11pm to see if the concert would surge. I saw no surging at all on driver app. On the rider app th surge icon wasn't appearing above the platform buttons either. So I figure there is no surge tonight . I then tap on uber x and xl to look at prices. To my surprise they were much higher. From 11pm to 1120pm the prices were fluctuating. I saw xl rates,as,high as $4.00 per mile. Only way I could see it is by tapping on th platforms and look at prices . It looks like uber may have Been experimenting with "upfront pricing" , which I heard they are doing in other markets. That's fine if that is th case, the problem is the driver can't see there is higher prices on driver map. Not sure it was a glitch.

https://newsroom.uber.com/upfront-fares-no-math-and-no-surprises/

http://www.cnet.com/news/ubers-new-upfront-pricing-tucks-away-the-surge/

Last edited:

Atom guy

I noticed the change on the passenger app the other day. No surge icon, just a higher price when you select the service. I noticed the same thing last night - no surge showing on the driver app, though on Friday there was a lot of surge showing on the driver app but no surge icon on the passenger app.

To me it is still per mile and per minute to us, but a sneaky way to get passengers to pay surge, especially new passengers who might not know what the regular rates are.

JaniceCT

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I noticed the change on the passenger app the other day. No surge icon, just a higher price when you select the service. I noticed the same thing last night - no surge showing on the driver app, though on Friday there was a lot of surge showing on the driver app but no surge icon on the passenger app.

To me it is still per mile and per minute to us, but a sneaky way to get passengers to pay surge, especially new passengers who might not know what the regular rates are.
I don't have a problem with the new method as long as th driver app shows us where the higher prices are. I'm almost positive the driver app was not showing the higher prices at the xfinity theatre last night. This may have been the first time they used upfront pricing there so maybe there was a glitch on the driver app.

BINNER

Janice spends half her time chasing surges, so she'd know! (The other half she comes on here and complains about them).

Aegisx5

It hasn't been showing the surge icon in the passenger app but it did give you a warning about surge if you clicked through to confirm your location. Also, pax were not required to enter their destinations in advance, so I'm not sure if it's really "upfront pricing".

JaniceCT

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Janice spends half her time chasing surges, so she'd know! (The other half she comes on here and complains about them).
i dont chase them but i do keep an eye on hartford concerts. don't like my comments them block me, loser