Upfront Fares For UberX

CantThrowCantCatch

So Uber started giving paxs their fares upfront for UberX just like they do for pools. They have both rates side by side.

And even offer discounts for pool in some areas during rush hour. Which will cause more ppl to do pools. Especially metro folks who usually only pay a few bucks to commute.

I looked up a trip earlier during rush hour and I'm pretty sure most paxs would choose pools in this scenario.

I get boost surge rates so I don't mind pool pickups, but I'm sure most drivers hate pool.

Attachments

Neubridge1

If you show an $11 difference, why the hell wouldn't the pax take stool....ridiculous...they know how to screw us.

tee hee

so this is actually good news... instead of saying surge 2x, and people waiting for it to die, i think most would be inclined to just ride now. they'll probably take uberpool though... a 2.0x uber pool is worth it maybe...

novadrivergal

Two observations.

At least this states clearly to the pax that they are opting to "share the ride." And it gives them a choice rather than defaulting to pool. Nobody can @@@@@ that they didn't understand what they were choosing.

Second, I had no idea Uber was charging pax so little for pool. They are paying us a LOT more than $3 for that ride even at pool rates. If the ride doesn't get matched with another rider Uber is losing big time.

I get more confused every day as to what Uber is doing. With the driver incentives and this ridiculous low pool fare they are not only throwing money into a landfill they are lining up dumptrucks full of money. Huh?

Arlington Driver

@ novadrivergal, the reduced UberPool rates are only during Safetrack and only during certain hours. The reduced UberPool rates just like the heavy metal incentives will not last forever.

Neubridge1

@ novadrivergal, the reduced UberPool rates are only during Safetrack and only during certain hours. The reduced UberPool rates just like the heavy metal incentives will not last forever.
But uber is creating two types of people....drivers who won't drive if no incentives and pax who enjoy cheap rides,thus creating cheap pax....so where is the breaking point for uber.

Arlington Driver

Neubridge1 there isn't a breaking point. If they can get folks to ride UberPool then they need fewer drivers when they end the driver incentives. Yes, the UberPool super low rates will go away, but they will still be cheap and lots of people will pay slightly higher rates because it's still cheaper than the alternative of owning a car and/or taking a taxi.

nutzareus

Good luck UberPool passengers looking for a ride when every driver within 5-minute radius cancels. I know this is true, I was taken into Georgetown today for work again and for giggles I turned on driver app. Pool requests from Clarendon all the way from M Street and Wisconsin. REJECTED!!

Neubridge1

Neubridge1 there isn't a breaking point. If they can get folks to ride UberPool then they need fewer drivers when they end the driver incentives. Yes, the UberPool super low rates will go away, but they will still be cheap and lots of people will pay slightly higher rates because it's still cheaper than the alternative of owning a car and/or taking a taxi.
Your key word was, fewer drivers ..if the drivers don't take the pool request,uber will have a problem on their hands...but let's just see how this plays out.

New2This

Since 'I heard it in the back of an Uber' is sketchier for information than 'I read it on the internet' take this with a pound of salt...

I was explaining to a nice pax about incentives, i.e. she was paying regular rate, I was getting surge. She said something about Uber getting money either from Metro or the various local governments to subsidize rides during the Metro construction.

If true, it would explain where some of the Money Metal Bonuses program cash comes from.

Anyone know if that's true or did I just put total bullshit on the internet?

CantThrowCantCatch

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Since 'I heard it in the back of an Uber' is sketchier for information than 'I read it on the internet' take this with a pound of salt...

I was explaining to a nice pax about incentives, i.e. she was paying regular rate, I was getting surge. She said something about Uber getting money either from Metro or the various local governments to subsidize rides during the Metro construction.

If true, it would explain where some of the Money Metal Bonuses program cash comes from.

Anyone know if that's true or did I just put total bullshit on the internet?
Why would you tell paxs that you're getting a surge rate?

Uber put aside $10M to give paxs cheaper rides to commute to work during Safe Track.

Brandon0315

(Putting on my dunce cap)

Please explain to me...if a pool ride is not matched with another rider, the rider ends up paying the full X fare, correct?

nutzareus

(Putting on my dunce cap)

Please explain to me...if a pool ride is not matched with another rider, the rider ends up paying the full X fare, correct?
No, the quoted price is guaranteed and locked in. That's why if you do decide to take these cheap passengers and they get matched, you must pick them up.

t5contra

No, the quoted price is guaranteed and locked in. That's why if you do decide to take these cheap passengers and they get matched, you must pick them up.
Not for me, I still get a regular 9 second ping for a second rider on the rare occasion that I accept pool...