Upfront Cash Tip on Long Rides?

MiamiKid

Where's that@MiamiKid ?

It's not extortion. The pax can cancel at any time. Forcing a driver to take a trip because he accepted a request would be extortion or kidnapping. Driver also has the right to cancel if the terms are unprofitable. The app just matches drivers and riders. It's not a contract and can be cancelled by either party.
And of course, TIPS ARE INCLUDED!!!
😎
Post automatically merged:

This is not necessarily true. I've asked for, and received, quite a few "Return to Service Area" and/or "Return to Boundary" fees. I generally ask for 50% of what their upfront price estimate was, in cash or Venmo/Zelle, in advance, no exceptions (and definitely NOT via the app, for several reasons -- it's prohibited, it has serious limits, and pax are liars). Those that don't have an estimate? I have a price list for all the major cities, all the universities, and all the military bases within my state and some bordering states.

If they don't have cash, I offer to take them to an ATM. I've had a couple that agreed to this.

I've had a few broke mofos balk, but I left them on the curb, and the negotiation time made collecting the cancel tax pretty straight forward so I always win.

I've had one person in almost 18,000 rides complain, and the funny thing is that I didn't even ask that female canine for money. She was pulling an Barry Soetoro about my tip sign. All I got was an email, not even a warning, just a reminder, really. No vacation.
Pretty simple: Do not solicit cash.

And as I tell all my customers: No need to tip cause they're INCLUDED.

Of course, Miami always gets tipped. 😁
👍

UberBastid

This is just one incident. I can fill page after page with incidents. This is why I do not do jobs out side the fare structure in the cab. This is why Lost and Found goes to the Police of Department of For Hire Vehicles and I get a receipt. This is why I will balk at a request from either a cab or TNC customer that involves too much more than Point A to Point B.

If these customers complain, the driver is automatically in the wrong.
I get all that. I really do.
I drove in San Francisco in the 70's ... a very highly regulated gulag even then.

But, the difference is that; back then I made money driving. I mean, I made real good money. I didn't have to beg for tips, gas was less than a dollar a gallon. I could lease a cab for 12 hours for less than a hundred bucks. And, I'd make $400 easy that shift. Friday and Saturday night, twice that.
So, losing that job would hurt a lot.
But, these poor slobs are not cab drivers. They work for nothing. They therefore have nothing to lose. Most of them don't know that, but they suspect it. So the smart ones make money while they can and they know damn well that some day their number will come up and they'll be deactivated.
Then they'll do something else.

DoYouEvenLyft?

They therefore have nothing to lose. Most of them don't know that, but they suspect it. So the smart ones make money while they can and they know damn well that some day their number will come up and they'll be deactivated.

Aint that the truth.... #ImGettingOut 🏃

Nats121

One day I picked up a guy that was going to a New York area airport (outside my service area). I said I didn't want the ride repeatedly. I should've just canceled right then. I kept saying I didn't want the ride and I was going to cancel and it wasn't gonna cost him anything but the guy kept going on and on. He said "how much do you want to make the trip?". I said it's not about that. I just don't want the trip it's not gonna cost you anything for me to cancel. He said "how about $20?". I said "are you sure?". "Are you OK with that?". He assured me he was OK with that and I took the trip. We had great conversation the whole way. At the end of the trip he thanked me profusely. I thought I had done a good deed until about a half an hour later when I got the threatening message from Uber about accepting cash payment for a trip.
Unbelievable. You have to wonder if asswipes like that pax have a conscience.

MiamiKid

One day I picked up a guy that was going to a New York area airport (outside my service area). I said I didn't want the ride repeatedly. I should've just canceled right then. I kept saying I didn't want the ride and I was going to cancel and it wasn't gonna cost him anything but the guy kept going on and on. He said "how much do you want to make the trip?". I said it's not about that. I just don't want the trip it's not gonna cost you anything for me to cancel. He said "how about $20?". I said "are you sure?". "Are you OK with that?". He assured me he was OK with that and I took the trip. We had great conversation the whole way. At the end of the trip he thanked me profusely. I thought I had done a good deed until about a half an hour later when I got the threatening message from Uber about accepting cash payment for a trip.

I will never ever again do someone a favor were I accept a "tip" for making a trip that I don't want to make. It's not worth the few dollars.

In my opinion it's up to the rideshare companies to make these trips economically viable for us. I will never ever again do someone a favor that involves accepting a "tip" for making a trip that I don't want to make. It's not worth the few dollars.

In my opinion it's up to the rideshare companies to make trips outside our service area be economically viable for us. Taxi cab companies do that. If you want to take a taxi outside of the company's service area where the driver is going to have to deadhead back they tack on an extra fee. The rideshare companies could do this and still be cheaper than taxis. Instead they let us take the loss.
Post automatically merged:

The post speaks for itself , take it however you like, there’s a saying I’ve heard but it may not apply to everyone , never smarten up a chump. Comprehend it however you like.
Yup, one of those hard lessons. Pax absolutely a jerk; but, it's still on the driver.

XLnoGas

Yea, uber says this now.....

But remember when 🤔

IN THE VERY BEGINNING OF RIDESHARE, BOTH COMPANIES SAID YOU DIDNT NEED TO TIP THE DRIVER?????

Pepperage Farm remembers...
I vaguely remember Uber telling us to decline the tip twice. And only accept after that......

Jst1dreamr

I live in Philadelphia. I've done quite a bit of rides to Newark, NJ airport which is about 85 miles away, 1.5hr drive in one direction. They've all been regular rides, never got any premium or XL requests for that distance. When they tip about $20 it makes the fair decent because I have to drive 85 miles back to Philly plus pay another $10 in tolls. Of the rides I've taken there, about half the time they tip, the other half they don't. I'm considering requesting an up front cash tip of $30. I've never done that before but its either that or just decline these requests from now on. What's Uber and Lyft's policy on requesting up front cash tips? Is it OK to do so? If you request up front cash tips from your pax, how do you say it to make the passenger understand why you're asking for it? How often do the pax agree or disagree?
First off, a tip is a gratuity for a good job, second asking for more money is not asking for a tip it is asking for a higher payment. If you take calls that lose you money then you are a star in ubers eyes and a damn fool in everyone elses eyes. As long as there are fools that will do the calls uber will never pay more.

Darrell Green Fan

Ladies and Gentlemen, boys and girls of the uber/Lyft world....we have found the troll!!!!!

First off, you cant report for extortion if I haven't started the ride. As someone else said, I would sit there and wait for the timer to end and gladly shuffle you and drive off!!!

I am in control of my car. I will run my business how I see fit. I dont care if the ride takes me 2 miles out of city limits, if I want to charge extra then I will. I have every right!

Something tells me that you run your business at a loss. You are probably the troll that accepts every 45+ minute ping. You are probably the Messiah of Ants.

Go away you troll.
Nah I'm no troll son, just a guy who can recognize an A-hole when he sees one. I happen to believe when a rider orders a ride he does not deserve to be hit up for a big additional cost or you will screw him by hitting him up with a cancel fee. The rider did absolutely nothing wrong and your attempt to punish him with the cancel fee just demonstrate how petty and childish you are behaving. You agreed to the cost for the return trip when you chose to accept the ride, the rider is not responsible for your trip home.

And no I don't run my business at a loss, what a stupid assumption to make. I have already shown the math on long trips when compared to shorter ones the other drivers apparently prefer. I was hit up with a reply about how stupid I was not to factor in gas, wear and tear, maintenance etc on the long trips, as if the short trips don't require the same (or more) gas and wear and tear. Guess he hadn't thought it through that far, this is the level of intelligence I am dealing with here.

The fact that you can't see how this is wrong says everything about you, and the drivers who agree with you. I don't expect you to agree, the board is full of rude A-hole drivers who consider our customers the enemy. Which is ironic as they are paying our salaries.

Last edited:

MiamiKid

Nah I'm no troll son, just a guy who can recognize an A-hole when he sees one. I happen to believe when a rider orders a ride he does not deserve to be hit up for a big additional cost or you will screw him by hitting him up with a cancel fee. The rider did absolutely nothing wrong and your attempt to punish him with the cancel fee just demonstrate how petty and childish you are behaving. You agreed to the cost for the return trip when you chose to accept the ride, the rider is not responsible for your trip home.

And no I don't run my business at a loss, what a stupid assumption to make. I have already shown the math on long trips when compared to shorter ones the other drivers apparently prefer. I was hit up with a reply about how stupid I was not to factor in gas, wear and tear, maintenance etc on the long trips, as if the short trips don't require the same (or more) gas and wear and tear. Guess he hadn't thought it through that far, this is the level of intelligence I am dealing with here.

The fact that you can't see how this is wrong says everything about you, and the drivers who agree with you. I don't expect you to agree, the board is full of rude A-hole drivers who consider our customers the enemy. Which is ironic as they are paying our salaries.
Strongly agree.

LyftUberFuwabolewa

Hey Ubertool, let me handle this one.
It takes a spine to not drop to your knees just because you need money.
I would rather starve than blow Travis in a back alley somewhere ... but that's me.
I'll rob a @@@@ing likker store before that happens.
And, it makes me cringe to 'meet' a grown man that thinks different. (assuming you are male, and if not - explains a lot).

Uber might 'fire' you for making a profit?
OOOooooooh. How scarey.
Jesus Christ on a pogo stick buddy, man up.
Drop to my knees? The additional tip made the trip financially viable. I wouldn't be losing money.

Plus the guy really needed to get to the airport. In my neck of the woods we call that kindness.

Funny how you went pretty quickly to blowing Travis. I guess we all have our own fantasies.

MiamiKid

Hey Ubertool, let me handle this one.
It takes a spine to not drop to your knees just because you need money.
I would rather starve than blow Travis in a back alley somewhere ... but that's me.
I'll rob a @@@@ing likker store before that happens.
And, it makes me cringe to 'meet' a grown man that thinks different. (assuming you are male, and if not - explains a lot).

Uber might 'fire' you for making a profit?
OOOooooooh. How scarey.
Jesus Christ on a pogo stick buddy, man up.
Think you need to speak for yourself.

tc49821

Some people might roast me for saying this, but this is how I look at it:

1. Deny long rides, chances of getting tipped to help with deadheading back to philly are slim.

OR

2. Accept the long ride, ask for X amount of $$$ upfront and hope the pax agrees.

Here's the story, I had a long ride from downtown Pittsburgh Pa to Erie. The trip was about 2 hrs JUST ONE WAY. I got paid $100 while pax paid $280+. I asked for a tip to pay for gas going back home.

Big mistake....

She became furious. "I payed lyft out the ass to come here, and you expect me to compensate you for going home? Screw off". Slammed my car door and left. She reported me and Lyft suspended me for a day to "investigate".

I had a request to go from downtown Pittsburgh to State College. I asked the pax, I need $30 to pay for gas going back. $30 is REALLY generous because my car takes $45 to fill from empty. I asked in a generous and polite tone.

Big mistake again....

These Frat boys said "I'm already paying uber $250+, why would I give you any extra??? Uber and Lyft drivers are so greedy." I cancelled and drove off.

This is why i stopped asking for tips, stopped expecting tips, and stopped doing long rides all together. It's not worth it for me. Some people may have different experiences, but i dont want to deal with the bullshit of long rides.

I get paid $0.65 a mile, $0.21 a minute. The further i drive mileage wise, the less and less I make. Its not worth it to me.

But to answer your question, ask politely for a cash tip. How much? Whatever it takes to fill your tank from empty. $45 from empty? Ask $40-$50 UPFRONT BEFORE YOU DRIVE THEM. Politely of course...

Lyft/Uber bans drivers from asking for any cash payment from riders. Deactivation may happen if you get reported
Got tell the people I don't get that and break down the details. If your feeling brave,tell them cancel it n pay u directly. Say I'll do it for $200.

LyftUberFuwabolewa

Think you need to speak for yourself.
They can tagteam me if they want to.

I think there are people who come on this forum and encourage others to take foolish risks as a way of thinning out the herd because their market is oversaturated.

My other theory is that they like to come on this form and preen and show how much are they are because their wives or girlfriends won’t let them say it out loud.

MiamiKid

Got tell the people I don't get that and break down the details. If your feeling brave,tell them cancel it n pay u directly. Say I'll do it for $200.
They can tagteam me if they want to.

I think there are people who come on this forum and encourage others to take foolish risks as a way of thinning out the herd because their market is oversaturated.

My other theory is that they like to come on this form and preen and show how much are they are because their wives or girlfriends won’t let them say it out loud.
Think what you want. There's, definitely, class warfare, on this forum, very similar to society in general.

Know which side I'm on (Staunch Conservative). Also, understand my own financial situation. Guarantee you nor anyone else does. Uber revenue is 100% discretionary.

Everything is paid for. Uber bucks are fun bucks 🍸 🏖 💸 🛳 ⛳!!

Little jealous?

Don't think you realize how uneducated your view sounds. Speaks to insecurity. Consider some therapy, counseling or something.

MAGA 2020
👍

Last edited:
I live in Philadelphia. I've done quite a bit of rides to Newark, NJ airport which is about 85 miles away, 1.5hr drive in one direction. They've all been regular rides, never got any premium or XL requests for that distance. When they tip about $20 it makes the fair decent because I have to drive 85 miles back to Philly plus pay another $10 in tolls. Of the rides I've taken there, about half the time they tip, the other half they don't. I'm considering requesting an up front cash tip of $30. I've never done that before but its either that or just decline these requests from now on. What's Uber and Lyft's policy on requesting up front cash tips? Is it OK to do so? If you request up front cash tips from your pax, how do you say it to make the passenger understand why you're asking for it? How often do the pax agree or disagree?
What areas and cities are you picking up in?