Upfront Cash Tip on Long Rides?

DarkBerry

I live in Philadelphia. I've done quite a bit of rides to Newark, NJ airport which is about 85 miles away, 1.5hr drive in one direction. They've all been regular rides, never got any premium or XL requests for that distance. When they tip about $20 it makes the fair decent because I have to drive 85 miles back to Philly plus pay another $10 in tolls. Of the rides I've taken there, about half the time they tip, the other half they don't. I'm considering requesting an up front cash tip of $30. I've never done that before but its either that or just decline these requests from now on. What's Uber and Lyft's policy on requesting up front cash tips? Is it OK to do so? If you request up front cash tips from your pax, how do you say it to make the passenger understand why you're asking for it? How often do the pax agree or disagree?

DoYouEvenLyft?

Some people might roast me for saying this, but this is how I look at it:

1. Deny long rides, chances of getting tipped to help with deadheading back to philly are slim.

OR

2. Accept the long ride, ask for X amount of $$$ upfront and hope the pax agrees.

Here's the story, I had a long ride from downtown Pittsburgh Pa to Erie. The trip was about 2 hrs JUST ONE WAY. I got paid $100 while pax paid $280+. I asked for a tip to pay for gas going back home.

Big mistake....

She became furious. "I payed lyft out the ass to come here, and you expect me to compensate you for going home? Screw off". Slammed my car door and left. She reported me and Lyft suspended me for a day to "investigate".

I had a request to go from downtown Pittsburgh to State College. I asked the pax, I need $30 to pay for gas going back. $30 is REALLY generous because my car takes $45 to fill from empty. I asked in a generous and polite tone.

Big mistake again....

These Frat boys said "I'm already paying uber $250+, why would I give you any extra??? Uber and Lyft drivers are so greedy." I cancelled and drove off.

This is why i stopped asking for tips, stopped expecting tips, and stopped doing long rides all together. It's not worth it for me. Some people may have different experiences, but i dont want to deal with the bullshit of long rides.

I get paid $0.65 a mile, $0.21 a minute. The further i drive mileage wise, the less and less I make. Its not worth it to me.

But to answer your question, ask politely for a cash tip. How much? Whatever it takes to fill your tank from empty. $45 from empty? Ask $40-$50 UPFRONT BEFORE YOU DRIVE THEM. Politely of course...

Lyft/Uber bans drivers from asking for any cash payment from riders. Deactivation may happen if you get reported

IR12

I live in Philadelphia. I've done quite a bit of rides to Newark, NJ airport which is about 85 miles away, 1.5hr drive in one direction. They've all been regular rides, never got any premium or XL requests for that distance. When they tip about $20 it makes the fair decent because I have to drive 85 miles back to Philly plus pay another $10 in tolls. Of the rides I've taken there, about half the time they tip, the other half they don't. I'm considering requesting an up front cash tip of $30. I've never done that before but its either that or just decline these requests from now on. What's Uber and Lyft's policy on requesting up front cash tips? Is it OK to do so? If you request up front cash tips from your pax, how do you say it to make the passenger understand why you're asking for it? How often do the pax agree or disagree?
Imagine just imagine, a pax agreeing to give cash and reports driver for extortion.

What happens then?
I’ll give you 10 guesses and the 1st 9 don’t count.

Better question: Yep, I’m going there...
WHAT kind of idiot drives 1 1/2 hour, has to deadhead back and thinks it’s practical?

Last edited:

mbd

1. Deny long rides, chances of getting tipped to help with deadheading back to philly are slim.

OR

2. Accept the long ride, ask for X amount of $$$ upfront and hope the pax agrees.

Here's the story, I had a long ride from downtown Pittsburgh Pa to Erie. The trip was about 2 hrs JUST ONE WAY. I got paid $100 while pax paid $280+. I asked for a tip to pay for gas going back home.

Big mistake....

She became furious. "I payed lyft out the ass to come here, and you expect me to compensate you for going home? Screw off". Slammed my car door and left. She reported me and Lyft suspended me for a day to "investigate".

I had a request to go from downtown Pittsburgh to State College. I asked the pax, I need $30 to pay for gas going back. $30 is REALLY generous because my car takes $45 to fill from empty. I asked in a generous and polite tone.

Big mistake again....

These Frat boys said "I'm already paying uber $250+, why would I give you any extra??? Uber and Lyft drivers are so greedy." I cancelled and drove off.

This is why i stopped asking for tips, stopped expecting tips, and stopped doing long rides all together. It's not worth it for me. Some people may have different experiences, but i dont want to deal with the bullshit of long rides.

I get paid $0.65 a mile, $0.21 a minute. The further i drive mileage wise, the less and less I make. Its not worth it to me.

But to answer your question, ask politely for a cash tip. How much? Whatever it takes to fill your tank from empty. $45 from empty? Ask $40-$50 UPFRONT BEFORE YOU DRIVE THEM. Politely of course...

Lyft/Uber bans drivers from asking for any cash payment from riders. Deactivation may happen if you get reported
You negotiate the total price and let them cancel the trip, and make it a private ride with proper insurance. If they want to be in Uber platform, then don’t ask for a return fee.
Tell them upfront and be honest.

disp350

Every time I take someone to EWR, I DF my way back south, usually to the Trenton area. I hit 3 consecutive DF's stacked once before the app turned it off and counted it as one. No opinion on the up front fee. I have read many drivers that say they do it though. Good luck.

DoYouEvenLyft?

You negotiate the total price and let them cancel the trip, and make it a private ride with proper insurance. If they want to be in Uber platform, then don’t ask for a return fee😀

Make it a private ride?

L O L

Hahahahahahahahahahahah

L O L again.

I dont know these cucks, when shit hits the fan what am I going to tell the police? I do everything on the app, it's too risky doing rides privately, even with Insurance.

DarkBerry

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

OR

Big mistake....

Big mistake again....

This is my fear exactly. The customer going off on me for asking for an upfront cash tip. The customer does actually have a point, they're paying $250 and feel that should include everything. This is why many DON'T tip because they feel they're already paying a lot especially for a really long ride. If U/L weren't so greedy and paid us a fair percentage of the fare, it wouldn't be an issue. If its a long trip, it should go up to $1 per mile plus 25 cents per min for time. U/L puts us in a no win situations. It sucks. May have to just start declining these long rides altogether...

DoYouEvenLyft?

This is my fear exactly. The customer going off on me for asking for an upfront cash tip. The customer does actually have a point, they're paying $250 and feel that should include everything. This is why many DON'T tip because they feel they're already paying a lot especially for a really long ride. If U/L weren't so greedy and paid us a fair percentage of the fare, it wouldn't be an issue. If its a long trip, it should go up to $1 per mile plus 25 cents per min for time. U/L puts us in a no win situations. It sucks. May have to just start declining these long rides altogether...

I completely agree. We as drivers are being paid WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY LESS than what traditional taxis are being paid. We are being paid cab rates from the 70s-80s.

Ladies and gentlemen, I'm being paid .65 cents a mile......BEFORE TAXES!!!!! I cant make this gig work anymore. I used to love long rides, but after some number crunching, I'm losing money /barely breaking even.

I'm not mad at the pax, they are not the ones making the prices. They also are not the ones in charge of deciding how much we get paid per mile. I'm just pissed at the current situation that rideshare has become.

As drivers, we are stuck between a rock and a hard place already. Dealing with pax, traffic, and everything else that comes with doing this. These Uber and Lyft exec's think I'm going to destroy my car by doing these long unprofitable rides? Think again....

DarkBerry

Make it a private ride?

L O L

Hahahahahahahahahahahah

L O L again.

I dont know these cucks, when shit hits the fan what am I going to tell the police? I do everything on the app, it's too risky doing rides privately, even with Insurance.
Private Ride= 100% guaranteed permanent deactivation

I'm unclear what U/L policy is on requesting upfront cash tips but I'm 100% sure that having them cancel the ride and doing a private ride is against U/L terms & conditions. All the rider would have to do is report you and you're done.
Post automatically merged:

EWR Ride.png

In this case the passenger is only paying $105.11 for a regular ride and I would be getting about $85 of it, so Lyft actually isn't getting much. So in this situation, I don't think I would have a problem requesting an additional $30 from the pax. If they were paying something like $200, it would be different but I just realized Lyft's cut on this ride is really nothing. The customer is getting a really cheap ride considering and they should be willing/able to cough up another $30.

Last edited:

Another Uber Driver

Deny long rides, chances of getting tipped to help with deadheading back to philly are slim.
This is the best way to do it. If it is an excessively long trip, I simply tell the customer that I am not doing it. Usually, they ask why. I tell them that I am not doing it for the garbage rates that Uber/Lyft pays.

I have had one or two ask for what rate would I do it. I tell them that I will start the trip and we will go to my home. They can pay the Uber rate to that destination. I will then end the trip, transfer them and their belongings, if any, to my cab. We will make the trip in my cab and they can pay cab rates.

Both of them replied something similar to: "If I wanted to pay that, I would take a cab." ......"

"............precisely, Sir, and if I were willing to do it for Uber/Lyft garbage rates, we would not be having this conversation."

OR

2. Accept the long ride, ask for X amount of $$$ upfront and hope the pax agrees .Big mistake....

I got paid $100 while pax paid $280+. I asked for a tip to pay for gas going back home. She became furious. "I payed lyft out the ass to come here, and you expect me to compensate you for going home? Screw off". She reported me and Lyft suspended me for a day to "investigate".
"If you think that I am making this trip for the garbage that Gryft pays, you can 'screw off' as well, Mademoiselle.

I need $30 to pay for gas going back. $30 is REALLY generous because my car takes $45 to fill from empty. I asked in a polite tone.
That was the way to handle it.

This is why i stopped asking for tips, stopped expecting tips, and stopped doing long rides all together.
This is it. As you cited in both your examples, the customer is somewhat less than delighted at having to pay out what he considers a large amount of money as it is. He decidedly ain't about to pay any more.

i dont want to deal with the bullshit of long rides.
^^^^^^^^this, THIS, THIS and THIS ^^^^^^^^

You get reamed on the long trips, especially when there is a surge. Yes, there are times when Fubar might give you a little extra, but, it is under no obligation to do so per the Terms of Service that it changes every week.

/Uber bans drivers from asking for any cash payment from riders. Deactivation may happen if you get reported
This is why you just decline to do it. Do not bother asking for the cash. Just tell them to summon an ant. They have ants for a reason.

Imagine just imagine, a pax agreeing to give cash and reports driver for extortion.
There are times when they will not even flinch. They just ask you how much you want. You tell them. They fork over the cash. You haul them. You head home with a smile on your face. You get home, check your e-Mail. There is one from Gryft:

"Hi_______________!

This is Justin from the Lyft Safety and Trust Team reaching out to you..................................

Not only is your account suspended, but, they will deduct what the customer gave you from any funds owing. If there is still a balance, Lyft might re-instate you, but, as soon as the balance is even, it will de-activate you.

IR12

You negotiate the total price and let them cancel the trip, and make it a private ride with proper insurance. If they want to be in Uber platform, then don’t ask for a return fee.
Tell them upfront and be honest.
Okay, say the customer decides to cancel and report driver for “attempted” extortion?

What are the chances a driver gets deactivated percentage-wise?

Another Uber Driver

I'm unclear what U/L policy is on requesting upfront cash tips
^^^^^^^^^^^^^\/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/
All the rider would have to do is report you and you're done.
There used to be checkboxes on the customer complaint form for "driver demanded cash" and "driver demanded a tip". I do not know if they are still there, but, if the customer complained to Fubar or Gryft that you demanded anything over what the customer paid to Uber/Lyft, you can bet that at least Uber/Lyft will deduct it from what they owe you with a warning not to do it, again. At worst, Uber/Lyft relegates you to Deactivation Station.

Private Ride= 100% guaranteed permanent deactivation
........not to mention what could happen if you are involved in a collision, regardless of fault.

say the customer decides to cancel and report driver for “attempted” extortion? What are the chances a driver gets deactivated percentage-wise?
Depending on your record, odds are that Uber/Lyft will suspend you for seventy-two hours while it "investigates", then warn you not to do it, again. If you have any other strikes on your account, odds are that Uber/Lyft will de-activate you.

Darrell Green Fan

If I was the rider and a driver ask this I'd have the exact same reaction as the riders described by @DoYouEvenLyft? Why on Earth would you expect anything differently?

Personally I love long rides, I set the DF on both apps and always get rides back to my home area. The miles back are deductible so they hold value and even with the toll I would think that would still be a profitable ride. Not sure what the rates in Phillly are but in Baltimore at .69/mile and .22 a minute that comes to $80 less the $10 toll which is $70 for 3 hours or $23/hour for easy work. That is a rate most drivers don't accomplish and if they do that would requite multiple pickups to get to $70 where you only had to make one pickup. As I said easy work. And again the $23/hour is assuming not a single ride back which is unlikely.

Someone mentioned taxes, if you are paying much in taxes you are doing it wrong. If it takes $45 in gas to drive 170 miles you have the wrong vehicle. 170 miles in a Civic or other car getting 38 MPG should cost $11 in gas.

Last edited:

Greenfox

you'll probably get @@@@ed in some way shape or FORM, and not a foxy @@@@ing, guaranteed.

DarkBerry

If I was the rider and a driver ask this I'd have the exact same reaction as the riders described by @DoYouEvenLyft? Why on Earth would you expect anything differently?
This is the reason why I haven't done it thus far. It really doesn't seem right nor feel right to me to ask for a cash tip in advance. Something seems a bit shady about it and I don't want pax to think I'm a shady driver or trying to take advantage of them in any way.

doyousensehumor

This is why you just decline to do it. Do not bother asking for the cash. Just tell them to summon an ant. They have ants for a reason.
This. Simple. Clean. And the least risk.
Depending on your record, odds are that Uber/Lyft will suspend you for seventy-two hours while it "investigates", then warn you not to do it, again. If you have any other strikes on your account, odds are that Uber/Lyft will de-activate you.
For some who are bold enough to squeeze a few extra bucks, yet wouldn't have an issue with being deactivated, I get it.

For the right rates, of course I would go out of my way to do long trips. But reality is the passenger was quoted a certain price, and there are ants out there who will do those runs. I'm just not one of them.

I'm not into sticking my neck out for a run that's not going to make or break me. I am all for hustling, but inviting deactivation, is counterproductive. I rather quit on my own terms, and not burn bridges.

Last edited:

DarkBerry

There used to be checkboxes on the customer complaint form for "driver demanded cash" and "driver demanded a tip". I do not know if they are still there, but, if the customer complained to Fubar or Gryft that you demanded anything over what the customer paid to Uber/Lyft, you can bet that at least Uber/Lyft will deduct it from what they owe you with a warning not to do it, again. At worst, Uber/Lyft relegates you to Deactivation Station.
This is another good reason not to do it! Wow. I'll probably just stick to my instincts. The last time I didn't get tipped it was from a couple traveling to EWR at 4am. I had a feeling they weren't gonna tip. Plus they really should have ordered an XL with all the equipment, luggage, etc. they had. They were being cheap ordering a regular X and I thought to myself they weren't gonna tip and they didn't. Professionals traveling for work tend to tip because they can expense it. I guess moral of the story.... Trust your gut.

you'll probably get @@@@ed in some way shape or FORM, and not a foxy @@@@ing, guaranteed.
Oh No, only want that from my hubby.

Mkang14

Don't do it!

If they weren't planning on tipping you at the end, requesting $ before the ride won't make a difference. But now you put yourself in a position to get reported.

Some (probably most) will think you are trying to rip them off, it's a quick way to get them upset and yourself deactivated.