1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

UpDated Info New Tampa International Queue

Discussion in 'Tampa' started by PowerTrip, Sep 14, 2015.

Tags:
  1. PowerTrip

PowerTrip Active Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    This is weird, just last night I got a ping at N Dale Mabry, around the Stadium In between Tampa Bay and MLK.
    When did this start, Did anyone get a notice, if so was it by text or email. Please share!

I ask the Uber Gods and here is the form response.

"Thanks for reaching out!

Once you come off the exit ramps from Interstate 275, Highway 60, or Spruce Street towards Tampa International Airport, you will automatically be placed into a virtual, first-in, first-out queue as long as you are online. When a rider requests a trip from TPA, the request will go to the vehicle within the area that has been waiting the longest, rather than the vehicle that is closest to the terminal.

Please note that you will lose your place in line if you cancel a trip on a rider, go offline, shut down your Uber app, switch vehicles, or leave the airport area. You will not lose your place in line if a rider cancels on you or if you drive around within the airport area.

To avoid issues with overcrowding, you will not receive requests if you are waiting for a fare at the terminal.

As always, if you choose to wait for an airport fare, you should observe all airport rules and park in a location where you are legally allowed to do so.

Please let me know I can help you with any additional questions.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Christopher"

Last edited: Sep 14, 2015
  2. Snowtop

Snowtop Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    I have heard this before.....not sure I believe them. I work at the airport a lot and being closer seems to get me a ping quicker.

uberguru likes this.
  3. PowerTrip

PowerTrip Active Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    No answers for these questions yet.
    When did this start?
    What type of notification was given to the Partners if any?
    What are the boundaries? ie, North/South & East/West?

4. UberXTampa

UberXTampa Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Yesterday I got airport pings when I was near N. Dale Mabry & International Plaza. I cancelled them all. They appeared weird. Normally airport is stacked with lots of Uber cars. Why I was getting calls? I can't explain.

5. Snowtop

Driving:
    UberX
    You were probably getting airport pings because you were the closest available. I was watching the app before the Bucs game and with all the cars being around the stadium...the airport had no cars nearby.

6. sdoyle84

sdoyle84 New Member

Can anyone verify that there is a queue system at the airport? I've only seen one person chime in that seemed to know but No one else has verified this.

7. UberXTampa

Driving:
    UberX
    Yes there is.
    Read original poster's message for more specifics.

PowerTrip likes this.
  8. PowerTrip

PowerTrip Active Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Thanks for reaching out about the queue at Tampa International Airport. This queue has been in effect since July, with text and email notifications sent at that time. You enter the queue whenever you exit the highways mentioned previously and remain in the queue as long as you are on airport property (via the access road).

Please note that if there are no cars available on airport property, requests still go to the nearest available vehicle. The queue does not apply to requests that come from outside of airport property, which will still go the nearest available vehicle. You can learn more about the queueing system here.

Best,

David at Uber

First-In, First Out Queueing
    At many airports and other venues, we have implemented first-in, first-out queueing to help manage high volumes of requests within a single area.

HOW DOES IT WORK?
    When you enter the queueing area, you will automatically be placed into a queue as long as you are online. When a rider requests a trip from within the queueing area, the request will go to the vehicle within that area that has been waiting the longest, rather than the vehicle that is closest to the requester. If you’re the 2nd partner to enter the area, you’ll be the 2nd to receive a trip request. If you're the 5th to enter the area, you’ll be the 5th to receive a trip request.

Note: You will lose your place in line if you cancel a trip on a rider, go offline, shut down your Uber app, switch vehicles, or leave the queueing area. You will not lose your place in line if a rider cancels on you or if you drive around within the queueing area.

DOES THE QUEUE APPLY TO ALL REQUESTS?
    The virtual queue only applies to requests that come from within the queueing area. Requests from outside the queueing area will continue to go to the nearest available partner. In some cases, this means that you will receive requests from outside the queueing area because you are the nearest available partner, regardless of your position in the queue.

Remember: You will lose your place in line if you cancel or reject a trip on a rider or leave the queueing area.

WHERE CAN I WAIT FOR A REQUEST?
    As long as you are within the queueing area, you will remain in the queue. To prevent overcrowding at certain locations, there may be limitations on where you can receive requests. If your current GPS location (regardless of elevation) falls within any of these restricted areas, you will not receive a request.

9. Snowtop

Driving:
    UberX
    Well this is already BS. I never received any type of notification of the queue system being put in place. Curious if anyone else received an email or text back in July concerning this?

Also might be nice to know what these restricted areas are.

10. PowerTrip

PowerTrip Active Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    I didn't

11. UberXTampa

Driving:
    UberX
    I never received one either.
    Maybe they sent these notifications to drivers based on some crazy criteria.

CommanderXL likes this.
  12. CommanderXL

CommanderXL Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberXL
    I received text notices of the Janet Jackson concert and the Clearwater Boat Show (rolling my eyes) but NOT the airport queue. As I posted elsewhere though, I did overhear the guy at a help session explaining it to other drivers.

13. UberXTampa

Driving:
    UberX
    Thank you CommanderXL for first time bringing it here to our attention in the forums.

I asked Uber and they did not reply with a direct explanation how this works or any diagram etc for what the area is/was for the FIFO queue.

If they are selectively providing this kind of an information to certain drivers, I want to know what criteria they use and what makes anyone to qualify for such a secret handshake.

CommanderXL likes this.
  14. really not

really not Member

What kind of car do you drive?

15. Nancyl8198

Nancyl8198 New Member

I have a question about driving the airport. I had heard from several sources that the airport police were giving out $750 to uber drivers who waited in the cell phone lot. I've taken several people to the airport, but unless I'm off property, I won't go looking for an airport ride. That would kill my entire month, I don't want to take that chance!

16. Snowtop

Driving:
    UberX
    As of know the taxi commission (who were issuing ticket) have suspended ticketing Uber and Lyft drivers. As of know this is temporary and they could decide to start again.

17. really not

really not Member

Can't wait. The sooner the better.

18. mhhickma

mhhickma Member

Perhaps we could join together and put some UBER advertising on top of the Cabs.

19. uberguru

uberguru Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Your sources must be handing out information on a slice of "swiss cheese", nothing you heard makes sense or is true,especially the fine amount...it's $800.00 and you uber will pay the fines.

20. really not

really not Member

Yup!. It was in the local papers.
    Not just the Cell Phone lot but also the parking garages, off campus and curbside. But on a not so positive note, they have stopped for a while until the courts uphold their regulatory authority and it will start up again.

And yes UBER will pay it but, what about you having it on your record for being cited. That Uber will not pay for and if you ever decide to get a permit or a PVDL you will be most likely be denied.
    Now that is integrity.

http://www.wtsp.com/story/news/local/2014/10/09/uber-lyft-drivers-face-criminal-charges/16985139/
    http://www.tbo.com/news/politics/uber-fines-upheld-in-tampa-failed-to-get-permits-licenses-20140918/