• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

UP needs to separate spots fo burbs and city in Chicagoland.

pizza guy

I've been doing this on and off for four years. I put in many hours trying to herd cats and organize drivers. The current Chicago ordinance would have been much worse without us.

The fact remains that Chicago is two markets. There are city drivers wanting to avoid the suburbs and suburban drivers looking to avoid the city.

City and suburban driving are very different. A city driver obeying the speed limit on 355 or 88 is probably more dangerous than a clueless suburban driver at 10 mph in the city.

I'd like to suggest UP divided the market into city and suburbs. There are over 10 million people in Chicagland but less than 3 million on the live in Chicago.

I suggest UP

UberBeemer

Both Uber and Lyft designate drivers as "Chicago" drivers. Until that changes, and until you liberate suburban drivers from the long, twisted, grabby arm of Chicago regulatory influence, we are all in this together. Like it, or lump it.
Post automatically merged:

The fact remains that Chicago is two markets. There are city drivers wanting to avoid the suburbs and suburban drivers looking to avoid the city.
I disagree that this is a cut and dried fact. There are many drivers that work wherever the app takes them. And many that will drive from burbs to city to start their day in pursuit of trips.

Chicago isn't "special", though. The driving experience has more commonalities than differences, once you get your feet wet.

Last edited:

cubs121221

Since it really doesn't surge worthwhile anymore, the only real benefit of city driving is the quick trips for consecutive streaks or promos. Those, however, seem to be diminishing on a weekly basis. I'm about to hit gold, this time with an acceptable cancel rate. Can't wait to see what kind of a garbage quest they send me

80sDude

The driving experience has more commonalities than differences, once you get your feet wet.

I'll have what he's having. Not similar in the slightest

Jinxstone

The driving experience has more commonalities than differences, once you get your feet wet.

I'll have what he's having. Not similar in the slightest
The driving experience is more than how to manipulate surge, how much you earn and the best area to drive. Uber is more than willing to screw every driver on the platform, whether city or suburban. UP can give advice and support. Help with car maintenance issues and dealing with rider complaints isn't an issue for city and not suburban. Advice that helps suburban drivers find their pax downtown would probably also help a city driver stuck with a pickup at Woodfield Mall. Once you get past the how to make the most money in the shortest time and miles issue, city and suburbs aren't that different at all. You get a ping, you pick em up, you drop em off.

quesie

I've been doing this on and off for four years. I put in many hours trying to herd cats and organize drivers. The current Chicago ordinance would have been much worse without us.

City and suburban driving are very different. A city driver obeying the speed limit on 355 or 88 is probably more dangerous than a clueless suburban driver at 10 mph in the city.

I'd like to suggest UP divided the market into city and suburbs. There are over 10 million people in Chicagland but less than 3 million on the live in Chicago.

I suggest UP
Personally I drive both equally. I know the city very well, but I also know the burbs well. We're all in the same boat here, just trying to let off steam, learn from each other, and maybe make a few bucks so we can pay our bills.
Post automatically merged:

Maybe to someone who doesn't go to the suburbs. But trust me. Chicago is only more crowded.
With worse roads.

Last edited:

Halfmybrain

The current Chicago ordinance would have been much worse without us.
What ordinance?
Who is us?

I disagree. A clueless driver in the city is traveling in many dimensions they need not usually be unaware of. There are many tricky intersections or ramps or lane limitations. Chicago drivers rely on fellow drivers to know the unwritten aggressive rules of the road, such as treating a delivery truck or a stopped taxi, about the same as you would a pothole. You need not signal, you are a corpuscle tumbling through a capillary and you just keep moving. Unless you're a mope from Minooka, and you stop and wait, perhaps tooting your horn or rolling down your window saying "Hey friend, I'm trying to get Mrs. McGillicutty here to the Cubs game!" when a kid on a bike grabs your phone from it's cradle and makes GPS-ing your way back to the burbs just a bit harder.

I suggest UP
Gads, I hate jargon. What the flying ruck is UP?

LarryA

What ordinance?
Who is us?

I disagree. A clueless driver in the city is traveling in many dimensions they need not usually be unaware of. There are many tricky intersections or ramps or lane limitations. Chicago drivers rely on fellow drivers to know the unwritten aggressive rules of the road, such as treating a delivery truck or a stopped taxi, about the same as you would a pothole. You need not signal, you are a corpuscle tumbling through a capillary and you just keep moving. Unless you're a mope from Minooka, and you stop and wait, perhaps tooting your horn or rolling down your window saying "Hey friend, I'm trying to get Mrs. McGillicutty here to the Cubs game!" when a kid on a bike grabs your phone from it's cradle and makes GPS-ing your way back to the burbs just a bit harder.

Gads, I hate jargon. What the flying ruck is UP?
What website are you on?

ANTlifebaby

Just wouldn't work. Too many people trying to go from the burbs to Chicago and vice versa.

You think Uber cares about where you want to go? This isn't even rideshare anymore with DF cuts.

Halfmybrain

What website are you on?
D'oh! I use bookmarks and in my head call this the "driver's forum" but D'oh! and Duh!

That Edith Bunker scene of "getting it" and then "really getting it" would come in handy now.

Well, my middle comment had the most gravitas anyway.

Ski Free

I suggest UP
Yeah sure, some suburban idiot doing 25 on
Lower Wackee trying to figure out where to pick up his passenger from City Winery is less dangerous than me doing 70 in the middle lane of 355. Thanks for letting us know where you are from.

UberBeemer

The driving experience is more than how to manipulate surge, how much you earn and the best area to drive. Uber is more than willing to screw every driver on the platform, whether city or suburban. UP can give advice and support. Help with car maintenance issues and dealing with rider complaints isn't an issue for city and not suburban. Advice that helps suburban drivers find their pax downtown would probably also help a city driver stuck with a pickup at Woodfield Mall. Once you get past the how to make the most money in the shortest time and miles issue, city and suburbs aren't that different at all. You get a ping, you pick em up, you drop em off.
Your response points out something i forgot to. This forum is to benefit all of us in the Chicago market. That's really the key point. The rising tide of information floats all boats.