• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Up Front Fares Delemma

Sam22

Hi follows,

Today, I had my first complaint about my navigation skills.

Dvp to 401 would be a screw up by the up front fare.

I really feel bad for upsetting pax, Uber's greed made me do that.

IMG_20170223_215914.jpg
IMG_20170223_215914.jpg

Double J

Don't feel bad. This is a result of Uber's stupidity. There will be push back by riders at drivers at first but ideally it will be on uber once they understand. I have don't this sometimes before but Uber actually would switch it to time/km. Glad you did well on this one. I assume your boost was 1.4.

Sam22

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I had a very similar trip and support refused to honor it.

TheAutomator

Don't feel bad, that's on Uber, not you. I've recently started biasing my trip toward the shortest route rather than the fastest (provided there isn't too much stop-and-go to kill fuel economy). The ultimate operating cost as an Uber driver is in your mileage.

Double J

I honestly do not understand why Uber sticks to upfront fares. Even the most die hard uberite must realize this hurts everyone. I can and do appreciate letting someone know ahead what the cost will be but, at what cost? Upsetting riders. Upsetting drivers? Uber loses out from both of those and financially as well because when I do a detour it is because I am going to be compensated for it directly from the rider which uber doesn't get a cut of.

jimmy07

I know its hurting driver but its good for rider. Uber is unethical company dont care about driver. We driver has to tell every rider how uber is treating us not only riders also media. Uber is billinior company and still except to driver to pay the discount.

Double J

I know its hurting driver but its good for rider. Uber is unethical company dont care about driver. We driver has to tell every rider how uber is treating us not only riders also media. Uber is billinior company and still except to driver to pay the discount.
It's good for rider? Doesn't look like it from where I stand. Wait 'till majority of drivers clue in and take the shortest routes, refuse detours or worse.

jimmy07

It's good for rider? Doesn't look like it from where I stand. Wait 'till majority of drivers clue in and take the shortest routes, refuse detours or worse.
In that case, you will hurt your rating badly. I guess better to argue with support person after each trip than arguing with riders and explain jow uber is treating us.

vspr01

To be honest.... Dvp.401 is out of the way.
If we got paid by time plus km like taxi then who cares where cistomers wants us to go.

Since its flat fare..
Most direct routes....

What i do is if its long fare..
I switch to map view and see the km vs time saved. If its q0 km straight vs 12 with faster option i go 12... Bit of its like 15 then i go straight.

Uber should give customer map options when they order with diff prices..
That way drivers follow thw route which every one chose with the agreed $$$

Double J

In that case, you will hurt your rating badly. I guess better to argue with support person after each trip than arguing with riders and explain jow uber is treating us.
Obviously I don't really want to be deactivated but I'm a far cry from that. I'll take the extra money and lower rating for now.

AltaClip

I take the opportunity to educate the pax at begin of trip about upfront fares, Fuber doesn't pay me the extra km to drive you there quicker, etc.
I also manage to mention how I still go the quicker (longer) route for some of my regular cash tipping customers.
I'll even show pax the waze routes (km and time) options but I make it clear the decision is up to me not them (unless they make it worth my while :smiles:

I've even had one going to the airport say I'm one of those tipping types!

Gymdrivesleep

I'm a bit of a noob but how do you handle a change or addition to the destination with an upfront fare? I ask pax to update the info in uber so I can at least know where I'm going...

Capt.Uber

I have sent uber numerous requests to tell me
1. What are the rates they use for upfront fares ie. per km/ minute.
2. Not to use their copy/ replies to this question and provide the actual rates they use.

They have stopped replying all together after these two questions were sent in.

Any of you know what these rates are?
Have you asked and actually been told what the rates are?

Appreciate your feedback.
Ty

AltaClip

Just a guess but the actual rates, base, booking fee etc for your area.

I have a google sheet open to calculate/compare actual trips to what fuber gives me and if no traffic or problems it's often very close.

I will often even make an extra buck .

There are many other times where I lose 2-3 b/c I went a longer route that waze (or google maps) suggest to save time due to traffic.

I fight fuber to get the extra $$ especially if the pax prefers/request it but often takes 2-3 emails to get.

i_k

I'm a bit of a noob but how do you handle a change or addition to the destination with an upfront fare? I ask pax to update the info in uber so I can at least know where I'm going...
Once pax changes destination from their app, then they're charged based on time/distance, not upfront fare (for the new destination). Always have the pax change the address for additional stops. For whatever reason if they have trouble changing it on their end, you can always change the address from the driver app by tapping the address bar.

Double J

Once pax changes destination from their app, then they're charged based on time/distance, not upfront fare (for the new destination). Always have the pax change the address for additional stops. For whatever reason if they have trouble changing it on their end, you can always change the address from the driver app by tapping the address bar.
Just remember that the new address needs to be both their final address and over 800 meters from the original location for them to go to time/km fees. If they switch back or it's not that far off they will still give you a hard time giving it to you.

Capt.Uber

Historic data was based on .81/km and .18/minute for x platform 1.55/km and .35/minute for the xl platform And using that same data the number you arrive at is incorrect Unless you use different rates, are you using different rates? Please. Advise if you are using different rates for that is the only mathematical possibility for the fare to arrive at numbers you provide as being the far. For the sake of clarity I have absolutely no idea why not a single one of all your responses ever actually answers a very clear honest direct question What are the km/ minute rates used for upfront fares? Awaiting your straight clear unambiguous answer for this question. Ty

I still keep getting copy paste replies not one of the 8 replies I get will even acknowledge my question.

Silly of me to think it's no longer the original rates for x and xl?
Thoughts
Ty to the brothers and sisters who may enlighten me