• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Unloaded miles driven by a driver on any given day

Oscar Levant

Do you think Uber, Lyft and the others do a good job in reducing the amount of unloaded miles driven by each driver in a work day?
The proper term for that is 'dead miles' (as opposed to paid miles. okay, taxi lexicon, I used to drive one ). Yeah, on busy days, stacking calls helps a lot. But, since I work the airport mostly, lots of dead miles is a fact of life.

tohunt4me

The proper term for that is 'dead miles' (as opposed to paid miles. okay, taxi lexicon, I used to drive one ). Yeah, on busy days, stacking calls helps a lot. But, since I work the airport mostly, lots of dead miles is a fact of life.
I take the surface roads back to the city from the airport. I often get another airport trip from there or a trip back to the city . then i pick up my next one and do it again.

When i have a cruise ship, or 2 cruise ships docked at same time, i may turn app. Off and take interstate until i reach the port.

Oscar Levant

I take the surface roads back to the city from the airport. I often get another airport trip from there or a trip back to the city . then i pick up my next one and do it again.

When i have a cruise ship, or 2 cruise ships docked at same time, i may turn app. Off and take interstate until i reach the port.

Yeah, for example, I get a trip to Carlsbad. So, back to the airport but going down PCH instead of the freeway, with the filter, and you'll often get one going back. On the other hand, the only time I do this is when the freeway is backed up, which is often.

tohunt4me

Yeah, for example, I get a trip to Carlsbad. So, back to the airport but going down PCH instead of the freeway, with the filter, and you'll often get one going back. On the other hand, the only time I do this is when the freeway is backed up, which is often.
Free way comes to stop and crawl often flowing into the city here.
Not as bad on weekends when most of my cruise ship business is.