KD_LA

Author
Universal Studios used to have a dedicated pickup zone. It was at the back of the Jurassic garage, with its entrance up the hill on Universal Studios Boulevard next to the valet entrance. The pickup zone was staffed and there was no parking fee. Maybe it was for a short time, but that entrance is now closed and asking Universal staff got me nowhere.

So, without dispersing opinions about how bad Universal Studios is, does anyone know if there still is a viable pickup location at Universal Studios, and the where/how/when of it?

Thank you in advance.

iheartuber

Ugh. Freaking ants

Ok look here's the story: there are TWO pickups: one by the entrance to the park (the waterfall turnaround) and one by citiwalk (Buca di beppo)

Depending on how many pax are looking for a ride the park officials will either just let you pick up in the turnabout or if there's tons and tons of pax they make you pick them up in the parking lot. Play it by ear. Figure it out on the spot.

Make sense?

Ok I'm out

KD_LA

Author
Always call the pax to get ready to meet you in situation like this.
That's why I like that previous garage arrangement: you got the call while in the garage, and pax had to come to you in the garage-- which was close enough to a City Walk exit.

KD_LA

Author
So I found part of my answer from Universal parking staff on the ground: that garage pickup zone arrangement was for the summer busy season, and should be back next summer.

The remaining (and ongoing) headache will be which of the 2 turnarounds the riders are actually standing at versus what they entered on the app, many don't know the difference. The associated street names being almost identical doesn't help either: Universal Studios Blvd (@ City Walk by Cinnabon), versus Universal Studios Drive (@ front main entrance, although it's actually on Hotel Drive).

But at least I found my park & wait location! :biggrin:

Shakey Jake

You pick up and drop off where the ant is. When it gets crowded, or they have a special event they will direct you to the parking lot pick up.

I was there yesterday and I had 2 foreigners requests pickups. I went to the waterfall pick up and waited. I could not contact the first customer so after 5 minutes I canceled. I got another request and I called them and they said that they were at the entrance to the citywalk. I kept telling them to walk over to the pick up area and I texted them how to walk over on google maps but they were Italian and did not speak much English and they canceled on me. By the time I got an American the surge was gone.

The remaining (and ongoing) headache will be which of the 2 turnarounds the riders are actually standing at versus what they entered on the app, many don't know the difference. The associated street names being almost identical doesn't help either: Universal Studios Blvd (@ City Walk by Cinnabon), versus Universal Studios Drive (@ front main entrance, although it's actually on Hotel Drive).

The main problem is that there is a taxi pickup area near the entrance to the City Walk and a parking around there. PAX think that you can go there and pick them up because they see the taxis and cars. The rub is that you can only get there by paying for parking $20 (or whatever it is) to get to that location. Taxis get in there for free, so that is why they are there (after paying a hefty fee to Universal I would imagine).
Screenshot (75).png

KD_LA

Author
You pick up and drop off where the ant is. When it gets crowded, or they have a special event they will direct you to the parking lot pick up.

I was there yesterday and I had 2 foreigners requests pickups. I went to the waterfall pick up and waited. I could not contact the first customer so after 5 minutes I canceled. I got another request and I called them and they said that they were at the entrance to the citywalk. I kept telling them to walk over to the pick up area and I texted them how to walk over on google maps but they were Italian and did not speak much English and they canceled on me. By the time I got an American the surge was gone.

My trouble is that every time I go there it's busy and the only thing the staff do is tell me to leave. :rolleyes: But I think I'm set now with a park & wait location.

I got a pickup of British tourists yesterday waiting at the front, but the app was set for the back. Funny thing is, their hotel concierge (who should have know better) pinged me for them.

Julescase

Universal Studios used to have a dedicated pickup zone. It was at the back of the Jurassic garage, with its entrance up the hill on Universal Studios Boulevard next to the valet entrance. The pickup zone was staffed and there was no parking fee. Maybe it was for a short time, but that entrance is now closed and asking Universal staff got me nowhere.

So, without dispersing opinions about how bad Universal Studios is, does anyone know if there still is a viable pickup location at Universal Studios, and the where/how/when of it?

Thank you in advance.

Yes the drop off/pick up area is right near the Italian restaurant- boca de peppo I think it's called. But the gps for Uber will guide you to the correct area, just follow the map it provides if your picking up or dropping pax there.

uberPutz

My trouble is that every time I go there it's busy and the only thing the staff do is tell me to leave. :rolleyes: But I think I'm set now with a park & wait location.

I got a pickup of British tourists yesterday waiting at the front, but the app was set for the back. Funny thing is, their hotel concierge (who should have know better) pinged me for them.
Just take what IheartUber said, along with staff regarding when to use garage.

Beyond that, if they are on the turnabout side, the ping almost always says "King Kong lot." If it says Hotel Drive, pax will also usually be at the turnabout pickup.

It will say City Walk Entrance or Universal Studios Blvd for that entrance most of the time.

As far as where to park, park right in the turnabout pickup at both spots. If closing time might take a minute waiting to get to turnabout at CW entrance. Try not to wait in far left lane.

As far as staff telling you to leave, makes no sense w/o more details. If you already have a ping, wait right in turnabout. If you are blocking flow of traffic, they usually just tell you to circle around, thru the part that says "No u turn" right past garage

The 2 p/u locations are a 1/4 mile apart for pax. If you don't want to drive to them if at wrong one, better to cancel most of the time, if you ain't worried about cancel rate, and you can still get another ping at same rate/boost, because it isn't a simple straight walk from one to the other. They get lost a lot.

KD_LA

Author
Everyone, thank you for your comments, I did learn a few things. But I should have been more clear in my original post by saying that a viable "park & wait" location is what I was after, since Universal Hollywood has no staging area like LAX -- and interestingly, Universal Orlando has an LAX-style queue on the app (with Uber, at least).

So Monday I finally found what seems to be a good and convenient park & wait area, and it's neither of the turnarounds since I keep being kicked out without an active ping (and not directed to a garage). And despite what some of you have said, I think Universal is not a bad place for pickups since there seems to be a good amount of UberXL opportunity with families visiting. I'm going to try it out for a while and see how it works out.

BTW, if anyone wants an actual address located at each of the turnarounds:
  • 1025 Universal Studios Blvd - City Walk by Cinnabon, back of Jurassic Parking.
  • 3400 Hotel Drive - main entrance by waterfall thingy and US flag, back of Frankenstein Parking.

KD_LA

Author
And... I see the temporary park & wait garage zone at Jurassic/CityWalk is back. Turnaround sectioned off, visitors directed down into garage. Similar arrangements at Frankenstein/Hotel Drive side, in lot D by Saddle Ranch, with a small park & wait zone in another lot across from this temporary pickup zone. Apparently this is just for Halloween, possibly at nights only.

Can't trust what parking staff say...