1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Unions without collective bargaining - we have options

Discussion in 'Advocacy' started by James Dante Wood, May 12, 2016.

?
  1. Unionize

9 vote(s)
    52.9%
  2. Network, and leave Uber/Lyft

1 vote(s)
    5.9%
  3. Both

7 vote(s)
    41.2%
  1. James Dante Wood

James Dante Wood New Member

Although collective bargaining laws exclude independent contractors, we can still form a guild and protest, file law suits without lawyers, just paralegals, potentially strike and even create a network of truly self-employed drivers with driver app and broker to advertise, who takes a smaller percentage, defer more liability to driver with cheap group or individual insurance, and prevent death and destruction for a time bomb waiting to happen by eliminating Uber and Lyft's unreasonable rating system for something that saves lives and your car and educates riders about proper ride requesting with the repercussions of early cancellations.

We can pay a small fee for guild dues and avoid greedy joint venture capitalists. except for the driver app unless we can order something open source.

I will create a page for drivers only, where you can pay guild dues for unionization nationwide through the ballot (I will start a petition at care2) and/or pay for the development of a website and driver app with flagging and payment system, those who pay for the software and advertising will get a break on the percentage I take out for future drivers, you can decide on what percentage the brokerage gets, the higher it is, the higher the adjusted rating of the individual driver that will fuel more advertising to rival Uber and Lyft, and take away their market share. I have a list of 1700 radio stations I can contact for interviews, Uber is the hottest topic at talk radio.

me2 and ErkanAk like this.
  2. James Dante Wood

Solidarity now!

If we can't unionize and collectively bargain, which only means we strike and don't get paid, we can still strike and get paid, and those who are terminated just pay the $60 or go to Lyft.

Let's brainstorm. I say we all don't shower and/or find some other way to smell bad, play "Highway to Hell" by AC/DC and nothing but on our CD players, and force Uber to pay better, have a tip feature on the app, and do something about the Draconian rating system before we get killed.

See "Stripes" with Bill Murray, where he over-turns his own taxi cab. We can't do that with our own nice cars, but we can buy a $200 Pinto station wagon and play "Stripes" for the passengers, just like when they played a movie with an airplane crashing in "Airplane". "DC Cab", which I believe has Nick Nolte, is also a good movie to play.

James Dante Wood
    Anarchy Forever

3. Leftright?

Leftright? Active Member

Driving:
    Lyft
    Hahahaha I already stopped driving for U and only drive for lyft, funny post thanks for the laugh

Blackout 702 and circle1 like this.
  4. James Dante Wood

Karl Marx and the Hegelians didn't like unions, negotiating for better wages and better and safer working conditions, you have to end exploitation through industrial democracies and/or the peer-to-peer network, enforced with open source software (driver app) through encryption, not trust, just like Bitcoin.

Digital anarchy will end the tyranny of these sorry bastards in Frisco, and we can get Menlo Park (I used them before for my inventions) joint venture capitalists to fund advertising, and maybe some of the software engineering costs for site/app which will be cheap. We can do what Lyft does with car inspectors coming to your home, we don't need to pay the rent of inspection centers. Potentially through my press release pyramid we can collect guild dues to pay for network advertising, get reimbursed, do radio interviews, and even avoid the jvc's.

We all become self-employed, not independent contractors, for a lot more money, drive safer with no Draconian rating system so passengers and others on road feel safer. It is too much work to change the laws city by city to unionize, when many cities are banning Uber anyway.

djskroller and ChortlingCrison like this.
  5. ChortlingCrison

ChortlingCrison Well-Known Member

Hmmm sounds like one nasty virus or malware in ubers central computer might do the trick. Call it the ubola virus.

circle1 likes this.

6. CLTUberPissed

CLTUberPissed New Member

You can have a Union set up like NBA/NFL players do where the main benefits are spelled out in a collective bargaining agreement but things are run on an individual basis. Same goes for actors under SAG.

7. BenjaminBar

BenjaminBar New Member

About 20% of the workforce was covered by collective agreements but the majority of people didn’t see their interests as being aligned with these workers, so collective bargaining legislation was of limited appeal. However, the public does tune in to concepts of ‘fairness at work’, ‘living wage’ and ‘rate for the job’. Ellis felt that the neoliberal consensus was now broken, having failed to deliver a narrative where employers have to provide a minimum standard of life.

8. thelittleguyhelper

thelittleguyhelper Active Member

Which has something to do with the fact that standards of li[ving] come from production, not from employment: the ever-increasing unemployment in the United States has to do with that fact. When people are no longer skilled and productive, their standards of living--no matter what a damn text on paper says--will inevitably fall. The effects can be hidden or stalled through a lot of manipulations but not stopped altogether without reversing the lack of productivity.

This is why the AFL-CIO under Gompers was effective: he understood, and respected economics. "Fair wage" means "share of what I've produced", and had nothing to do with irrational expectations (<--basically his words, except less harsh). Nowadays? The unions are ineffective [people] which typically just funnel money to politicians most of the time.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2016
    circle1 and ColdRider like this.
  9. REX HAVOC

REX HAVOC Well-Known Member

Just place a call to Anonymous to hack their systems.

10. circle1

circle1 Well-Known Member

No, the only way to put an end to this discussion is to find a Venture Capitalist firm(s) that are aligned with the interests of independent contractors trying to provide a needed service to the public. Driver-owned TNC, or else we're just gonna keep chasing our own tails.

Loralie likes this.
  11. Loralie

Loralie Active Member

Why can't drivers create their own app?? If drivers today had a better company to work for with better rates they would leave uber and lyft and not even work for them at all. I don't see that unions will change these horrible companies or change the ride sharing game. They know how to lure drivers in with their bonuses and incentives. If there was another ride sharing service with better rates for drivers and more incentives I know people would not work for lyft or uber. If lyft and uber lost their drivers then they wouldn't in business today. I wish there was a better company!!! Someone please create one!!

circle1 likes this.
  12. Loralie

Loralie Active Member

That's a great point. Like an air bnb for drivers anything better than uber and lyft! There has to be something. Uber and lyft don't own the ride sharing business drivers have a choice to not accept their horrible tactics and low rates. We have to do something come up with a better app I agreed backed by venture capitalist firm!!
    ats a

circle1 likes this.
  13. me2

me2 Active Member

Yes but we also must give them that old damp smell that old cars have maybe seaweed under the seats

14. Loralie

Loralie Active Member

Yes your right but what would really be in it for them??? And would we have more control on an app like setting our own rates etc

15. ChortlingCrison

ChortlingCrison Well-Known Member

I think I know that number 1-800-UBE-HACK