• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Unionize now !

UberMazda6

I've been driving Uber in NJ for 5 months. I discovered this site a month ago. I live in one of the NYC boroughs. I just got my TLC license a month ago, also had a FHV license and drove car service in the city many years ago. I can say I make now less than I made in car service over a decade and a half ago.
I didn't drive Uber or any other rideshare app in NYC yet . This is because I only drive about 3 days a week and very uneven hours. I couldn't pair with another driver yet, but I'm sure I'll eventually find someone. I won't get my hopes high and getting TLC plates means getting a newer car and too much investment for me at this point.
I am at a crossroad in life where I need Uber to supplement my income. Can't make it with just one job. Unfortunately that is reality of life nowadays.
I tell you what though: I don't want to give up on NJ driving yet. There are money to be made. One thing I noticed on the NJ forum is that there is a general sense of brotherhood. I think with that in mind we should UNIONIZE. We are Uber employees plain and simple. We have the right to drive for better wages and not allow every single driver in the club. If you are willing to work set amount of hours and days, Uber should not crap on your shift and add 1000 more drivers on your road. Period !
Then we can talk about more than .87 cents a mile.
The problem is two fold: too many drivers and low fares.
One other thing, I complain to Uber about everything. For example, recently I ended up in Newark and decided to do a few rides in there for a little bit. I don't want to go into where we should drivev or what strategy works best. Or get another job.
Anyway, I ended up picking up a fare on one side of Newark to 1 Raymond Plaza. Ended up making like $6 for 27 minutes of driving on horrible roads and traffic. On top of that I ended up with a one star, maybe the Pax was pissed off I didn't take his preferred route. I don't know, maybe his girlfriend just left him or he was late to a job interview. I don't care. What I care is my own situation. So I wrote to Uber, I don't care what they think, they need to know I'm not happy :

" Just note that my ratings went lower because I drove in low income neighborhoods where riders are generally unhappy and are inclined to rate less. Other things to consider: 1. Anything above 4 star average should be considered great. Since when do you have to be 4.9 ? Did you know I am driving an older car ,my muffler is loud and don’t have money to fix it. It would cost me $600 to fix the muffler so I could have less noise, hence better ratings. My shocks are noisy and need $1700 to fix shocks and upper control arms. When am I going to make that much money to be able to fix this car, when I made $200 last night by driving 12 hours straight. Saturday night I drove until 4 am and I was very tired, I got lost at Newark airport twice by how much tired I was. I am making $10/hour at best, without car maintenance. My car eats oil, 1 quart of oil per 100/miles. That means, every $100 I make, I spend $7 for oil, and also $10 gas. This puts my earnings at less than $7/hour. You need to do something about the prices. They are ridiculously cheap. Drivers are the laughing stock of everyone and look at us like we are homeless. 2. You need to stop reinforcing that no tips are necessary. I am not looking at 5 stars for tip. I need money, not 5 stars"

I always rant directly to Uber when I'm not happy. Uber agreed and said I should accept tips. Imagine that !

"..blah blah... Furthermore, you are welcome to accept tips offered by riders. Please note that Uber trip fares do not include a tip or gratuity.When you arrive at a rider's destination and complete the trip, fare is automatically charged to the rider’s selected payment method. We communicate to riders that tips are not required or expected, however they are welcome to provide additional payment as a gratuity in cash. Gratuities are voluntary. If a rider attempts to tip you in cash, please feel free to accept "

Again, I'm open to the idea to start a Union. Whoever is willing to drive set amount of hours or shifts should be guaranteed something. Hustlers and floaters are welcomed too, but we need to decide on some guidelines or soon we'll be driving for .70 cents a mile.

SuzeCB

I've been driving Uber in NJ for 5 months. I discovered this site a month ago. I live in one of the NYC boroughs. I just got my TLC license a month ago, also had a FHV license and drove car service in the city many years ago. I can say I make now less than I made in car service over a decade and a half ago.
I didn't drive Uber or any other rideshare app in NYC yet . This is because I only drive about 3 days a week and very uneven hours. I couldn't pair with another driver yet, but I'm sure I'll eventually find someone. I won't get my hopes high and getting TLC plates means getting a newer car and too much investment for me at this point.
I am at a crossroad in life where I need Uber to supplement my income. Can't make it with just one job. Unfortunately that is reality of life nowadays.
I tell you what though: I don't want to give up on NJ driving yet. There are money to be made. One thing I noticed on the NJ forum is that there is a general sense of brotherhood. I think with that in mind we should UNIONIZE. We are Uber employees plain and simple. We have the right to drive for better wages and not allow every single driver in the club. If you are willing to work set amount of hours and days, Uber should not crap on your shift and add 1000 more drivers on your road. Period !
One other thing, I complain to Uber about everything. For example, recently I ended up in Newark and decided to do a few rides in there for a little bit. I don't want to go into where we should drivev or what strategy works best. Or get another job.
Anyway, I ended up picking up a fare on one side of Newark to 1 Raymond Plaza. Ended up making like $6 for 27 minutes of driving on horrible roads and traffic. On top of that I ended up with a one star, maybe the Pax was pissed off I didn't take his preferred route. I don't know, maybe his girlfriend just left him or he was late to a job interview. I don't care. What I care is my own situation. So I wrote to Uber, I don't care what they think, they need to know I'm not happy :

" Just note that my ratings went lower because I drove in low income neighborhoods where riders are generally unhappy and are inclined to rate less. Other things to consider: 1. Anything above 4 star average should be considered great. Since when do you have to be 4.9 ? Did you know I am driving an older car ,my muffler is loud and don’t have money to fix it. It would cost me $600 to fix the muffler so I could have less noise, hence better ratings. My shocks are noisy and need $1700 to fix shocks and upper control arms. When am I going to make that much money to be able to fix this car, when I made $200 last night by driving 12 hours straight. Saturday night I drove until 4 am and I was very tired, I got lost at Newark airport twice by how much tired I was. I am making $10/hour at best, without car maintenance. My car eats oil, 1 quart of oil per 100/miles. That means, every $100 I make, I spend $7 for oil, and also $10 gas. This puts my earnings at less than $7/hour. You need to do something about the prices. They are ridiculously cheap. Drivers are the laughing stock of everyone and look at us like we are homeless. 2. You need to stop reinforcing that no tips are necessary. I am not looking at 5 stars for tip. I need money, not 5 stars"

I always rant directly to Uber when I'm not happy. Uber agreed and said I should accept tips. Imagine that !

"..blah blah... Furthermore, you are welcome to accept tips offered by riders. Please note that Uber trip fares do not include a tip or gratuity.When you arrive at a rider's destination and complete the trip, fare is automatically charged to the rider’s selected payment method. We communicate to riders that tips are not required or expected, however they are welcome to provide additional payment as a gratuity in cash. Gratuities are voluntary. If a rider attempts to tip you in cash, please feel free to accept "

Again, I'm open to the idea to start a Union. Whoever is willing to drive set amount of hours or shifts should be guaranteed something. Hustlers and floaters are welcomed too, but we need to decide on some guidelines or soon we'll be driving for .70 cents a mile.
Do you realize that there is a law that has passed and will be going into effect on May 1st that will make it a matter of law that we are independent contractors, and not employees of uber?

It will no longer be an issue of contract where the Department of Labor will be deciding if the contract is sufficient to designate us as one or the other on its own or if by function we become the other. It will be a matter of law in the state of New Jersey.

Uber-licious

You should find another way to make money. Driving isn't going to work in your situation.

BusinessAsUsual

Im not here to discuss unionization or not.. i am however concerned with your statement that low income areas are unhappy.. Is this based off of research??? You come across the hudson from the city to work unregulated (without TLC) in areas you barely know about apparently,belittle a great deal of people because of where they reside, have an attitude that a pax has a preferred route again, in an area you dont know.. Per TLC rules in nyc if a customer asks that you take them a certain route you can suggest maybe a faster route but cant argue with them... and admit then you're driving a beater of a car,which i can understand not having the newest car to do uber in, but shocks making noise?? Muffler sounding crazy? LOL dude... You're more likely to get lower ratings because of the bucket of a car you have and not taking pax preferred route especially when youre not from the area.. yes its your car but when doing a public service you cant take the route you want after a pax clearly states they want to go this route lol.... and uber doesn't care how happy or unhappy you are lol.. might be time to hang it up champ.

UberMazda6

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
1. I don't drive across Hudson in unknown areas. Keep guessing.
2. I work in Jersey. I have a full time job. I pay taxes here. I know Jersey better than some of the "ants" .
3. I know about TLC rules, don't worry. I'm taking about ridiculous requests, such as " let's stop at Wendy's, other drivers do it"
4. My car is not a beater, but not your 2014 mint condition car you still have from college days. I do like to complain to Uber about repairs on my car, therefore I like to add a little bit of drama. That is the idea of being in an Union.
5. Uber drivers have deemed as employees in NYC and will get benefits if unable to work, etc. Check it out. In NYC Uber won't dare to lower the prices any more because of Taxi Union
6. Jersey Shore can keep dreaming I'll quit. Won't happen, I'll be there when it gets real busy, very soon. And I'll be at Newark airport a lot too, cause that's how you make money on .87 cents a mile, through lots of highway driving.
7. If no cooperation, then every driver on his own.

BusinessAsUsual

1. I don't drive across Hudson in unknown areas. Keep guessing.
2. I work in Jersey. I have a full time job. I pay taxes here. I know Jersey better than some of the "ants" .
3. I know about TLC rules, don't worry. I'm taking about ridiculous requests, such as " let's stop at Wendy's, other drivers do it"
4. My car is not a beater, but not your 2014 mint condition car you still have from college days. I do like to complain to Uber about repairs on my car, therefore I like to add a little bit of drama. That is the idea of being in an Union.
5. Uber drivers have deemed as employees in NYC and will get benefits if unable to work, etc. Check it out. In NYC Uber won't dare to lower the prices any more because of Taxi Union
6. Jersey Shore can keep dreaming I'll quit. Won't happen, I'll be there when it gets real busy, very soon. And I'll be at Newark airport a lot too, cause that's how you make money on .87 cents a mile, through lots of highway driving.
7. If no cooperation, then every driver on his own.
Youre not only adding drama to uber complaints youre adding drama to the forum suggesting a certain demographic of people because of their socio-economic status or where they live are less happy and more inclined to givee you a bad rating when u probably get bad ratings because your car sounds like one of those fast and furious cars that makes alot of noise with that muffler and shocks lol.. keep trying my man.. again if u dont like the treatment of uber please quit.. less drivers means more surge for the rest lol

Union? Don't talk about Union?! You kidding me? Union? I just hope I can get one or two drivers to turn off their app for the surge.

hahaha Playoff?
YOU KIDDING ME?!?!?!? lmaooooooooooo

UberMazda6

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Youre not only adding drama to uber complaints youre adding drama to the forum suggesting a certain demographic of people because of their socio-economic status or where they live are less happy and more inclined to givee you a bad rating
Like I said in my opening statement, I don't want to get into an argument on where to drive, who tips better, who rates better etc. But keep dreaming I'll quit. you can be on your own, I don't care, maybe you should try to refer more "friends" to keep the roads filled with drivers and Uber headquarters happy.

BusinessAsUsual

Like I said in my opening statement, I don't want to get into an argument on where to drive, who tips better, who rates better etc. But keep dreaming I'll quit. you can be on your own, I don't care, maybe you should try to refer more "friends" to keep the roads filled with drivers and Uber headquarters happy.
im not dreaming you'll quit i just hope for your own sanity you can get your car fixed and not be so upset my man lol...