• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE
Inshur

Uninsured Accident Claim advice

Sparkz786

Hi Guys

Wondering if anyone would be able to advise, if you have nothing good to say kindly refrain from spamming.

A friend of mine was involved in an accident last year where he collided into another vehicle, he thought he was insured but turned out to be fake insurance bought from social media

The car he hit into was a hire car and his friend was driving it, so to settle the heat he paid the excess off for that car, and the hire company will be claiming from their insurance. As for his car he has to get repaired privately as it wasn’t insured

Anyway, months later a court letter has arrived from the hire car’s insurance trying to claim full costs for the damage on the car he hit into,
looks like a court proceeding letter and its between:

Hire Company
Vs
My friend (1st defendant)
And
MID (2nd defendant)

The letters mention things like:
The claimant is a prestige hire company. On the date of accident the claimant had hired out the vehicle. The first defendant collided into the rear of the claimant vehicle. The first defendant was not insured at the time of accident and therefore the second defendant is bring pursued under their uninsured losses agreement.

Also on the county court money claims centre letter it states:
- Net settlement figure is XXXX, the claimant hereby claims that sum from the first defendant and/or second defendant (following consolidation)
- a decleration that pursuant to the MIB agreement, the second defendant is liable to pay to or to the satisfaction of the claimant the sum of payable under such judgement including assessed costs.

Its a big sum around £40k and its something he cant afford, his already been in trouble for it and got 6 points and a fine from police.
Sounds to me MIB will pay, but maybe they will claim it from my friend later?. He doesnt earn much and hardly left with anything end of the month. So what can they exactly do? File for his bankcruptcy or be ok with £50 a month for the rest of his life?

His a good friend of mine and is pretty stressed
Post your thoughts please

Itsonlymoney

Hi, go to court plead guilty and say how sorry you are bring income expenditure form
with your outgoings and what you can afford to pay each month, that's if he's got no assets , good luck

Ubend R.S.

Citizens advice bureau. Too many 'friends' involved. Sounds dodgy asf. Tell your friend to be honest with the CAB.

Reactions: Dov

Dov

Hi Guys

Wondering if anyone would be able to advise, if you have nothing good to say kindly refrain from spamming.

A friend of mine was involved in an accident last year where he collided into another vehicle, he thought he was insured but turned out to be fake insurance bought from social media

The car he hit into was a hire car and his friend was driving it, so to settle the heat he paid the excess off for that car, and the hire company will be claiming from their insurance. As for his car he has to get repaired privately as it wasn’t insured

Anyway, months later a court letter has arrived from the hire car’s insurance trying to claim full costs for the damage on the car he hit into,

Hire Company
Vs
And
MID (2nd defendant)

The claimant is a prestige hire company. On the date of accident the claimant had hired out the vehicle. The first defendant collided into the rear of the claimant vehicle. The first defendant was not insured at the time of accident and therefore the second defendant is bring pursued under their uninsured losses agreement.

- Net settlement figure is XXXX, the claimant hereby claims that sum from the first defendant and/or second defendant (following consolidation)
- a decleration that pursuant to the MIB agreement, the second defendant is liable to pay to or to the satisfaction of the claimant the sum of payable under such judgement including assessed costs.

Its a big sum around £40k and its something he cant afford, his already been in trouble for it and got 6 points and a fine from police.
Sounds to me MIB will pay, but maybe they will claim it from my friend later?. He doesnt earn much and hardly left with anything end of the month. So what can they exactly do? File for his bankcruptcy or be ok with £50 a month for the rest of his life?

You should get advice from a professional who has experience of dealing with these matters - also be honest
Taking reponsibility and acting with integrity works in most situations

Harold Shand

Hi Guys

Hire Company
Vs
And
MID (2nd defendant)

If he makes a genuine offer to pay off the amount the court will usually accept it, as long as it's a reasonable amount. I doubt that 50 quid a month would be acceptable on such a large claim. However, bankruptcy would be a last resort as this would mean they get nothing. I suggest your friend gets a good lawyer who will negotiate terms somewhere between the two. And if possible, tracks down and goes after the person who sold you the dodgy insurance.

Cabbie2B

Hi Guys

Hire Company
Vs
And
MID (2nd defendant)

When court decision is made, declare bankrupt.

Yas in

I suggest going to insurance ombudsman and giving them the insurance details document. Also if he was working with uber at the time, did they not check the validity of doc?

UberLuxbod

Hi Guys

Hire Company
Vs
And
MID (2nd defendant)

Tell him don't file for bankrupcy before the case is concluded.

Once its done and dusted he will get discharged in a year.

Though how could he tax the vehicle without proper Insurance?

And why was he not caught on ANPR?

Was it a ghost broker who sold him a cheap Policy but the documents where doctored and he was never a named driver on the Policy?

I assume the "Prestige Hire Car" was also only insured for a named driver? And not for rental use?
Post automatically merged:

And as Yas commented, Uber don't seem to check. There must be loads of uninsured drivers out there. Even though Paul said it doesn't happen.
You can't get a PHV Lic without H&R in place.

TFL are the problem

They should have left the requirement for continuous H&R Insurance for the period of the PHV Lic requirement in place.
Post automatically merged:

how many on here hold insurance certificates " bought from social media"
Do you think this is a new thing? Or an Uber thing?

I knke a bloke that was buying his monthly H&R from a bloke in the gambling club he was always at.

Did the OP even say the person was a PH Driver?

madhatter

Why declare bankrupt??

Depending on the award, go for a debt relief order, far less damaging then bankruptcy, if your financial circumstances dont change after 12 month debt disappears.

UberLuxbod

Why declare bankrupt??

Depending on the award, go for a debt relief order, far less damaging then bankruptcy, if your financial circumstances dont change after 12 month debt disappears.
Not up to speed on a DRO

But if your financial situation improves after 12 months I assume you would have to pay some or all of the debt?

Bankruptcy is 12months with a basic bank account

And 5 years waiting for it to fall off.

And it will wipe out all debt, including credit cards and council tax.

It will give the person being discussed a clean slate without any debt over his head.

Unless he owns a House and an expensive car he has nothing to lose but debt.

Jack Barclay

Not up to speed on a DRO

But if your financial situation improves after 12 months I assume you would have to pay some or all of the debt?

Bankruptcy is 12months with a basic bank account

And 5 years waiting for it to fall off.

And it will wipe out all debt, including credit cards and council tax.

It will give the person being discussed a clean slate without any debt over his head.

Unless he owns a House and an expensive car he has nothing to lose but debt.
Bankruptcy Will stay on his credit file for 11 years from the day of discharge.

An IVA runs for 5 years

A word of warning, if you come into any money for a period of time after either you could be challenged on this

UberLuxbod

Bankruptcy Will stay on his credit file for 11 years from the day of discharge.

An IVA runs for 5 years

A word of warning, if you come into any money for a period of time after either you could be challenged on this
6 years for Bankruptcy as far as a Credit File goes.

Obviously you always have to declare it if asked, like when you apply for a mortgage.

Sparkz786

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hi everyone

Thanks for the replies

His thinking to extend the 14 day period court provided to 28 days so he gets more time to get advice etc and visit citizens advice bureru, and possibly a solicitor if he can afford it

He has no assets apart from a £2k motor which he cant care less about at the moment

As the document states its the hire company vs him and MID, i assume MID will pay out and then chase him? Or should he take liability and try and agree on a term with the court? Ie £100 a month?

At the moment after expenses his left with nothing end of the month as he has another loan he took out 2 years ago which is why his considering bankcruptcy, especially considering the sum being so high

Ps for the fake insurance, someone on instagram sold it to him, provided certificate etc, but he altered the details on it by the looks of things (ie date of birth etc) so when police checked on the scene of accident it was void, my friend didnt know anything as he was only provided a certificate for the 1 month temp insurance. The instagram page dissapeared when he told them police are after them

Harold Shand

Has he worked out how long it will take to pay off 40k @ 100 quid pm plus interest ?
All this aggro to try and save a few quid on insurance. Aggro that can potentially affect the rest of his life. I hope some of you have learnt a lesson from this at the very least.

Jack Barclay

6 years for Bankruptcy as far as a Credit File goes.

Obviously you always have to declare it if asked, like when you apply for a mortgage.
It’s up to 11 years for bankruptcy on a credit file but you are right typically 6 years of fully discharged

Last edited: