Unexpectedly jerky, racist Pax

ElectricEliminator

So I get a ping in Princeton last night, two black women around 40 or so get in the car, heading back to Trenton not far from the train station. OK... Fine... They ask me to put some music on. OK... Fine... Now I'm mostly a metalhead, and while I don't like generalizing, I haven't met too many black female metalheads in my life. So I ask what they would like to listen to. "Anything" is their answer.

Surmising that "anything" probably doesn't include Pantera I start scanning through my XM stations for the first non offensive station I can find. Landed on an old school R&B/Soul station playing Sly and the Family Stone. Who doesn't like that stuff?

Anyway, we get through a few songs that they are digging, even singing along to quietly. Arrive at the drop off, say "have a good night", get the same back, but somewhat quietly one of them throws in "You can go put your white station/music back on". Keep in mind... Per my usual policy the radio was OFF at the start of the trip. What kind of crap is that?

jerseyboys

You really need a thick skin for this job. LOL

Honestly? I’m more concern about driving white kids to Paterson for drug buy. or drunk ones throwing in my car.

Someone telling me to go back to my white music. who cares. hahaha

ElectricEliminator

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Racist, they were just being friendly. Seems like the white in you is showing. Are you related to Trump?
Would it have been "friendly" of me to say "Here's some black music for you!"... Honestly I was looking for a hits station or something to avoid any of that crap, but I was keeping my eyes on the road and I honestly liked the song that came on. I just didn't see the need to bring race into it, especially when I'm being respectful and accommodating YOU.

jerseyboys

Honestly? I don’t think they meant it THAT way. Like hey KKK member. LOL

It’s like when black people call themselves the N word. Which drives me crazy.

PorkRollUberAndCheese

I have to be honest. One of the greatest compliments I ever received was cooking a soul food dish and being told be an African-American acquaintance that it was the best collards she ever had by a white person.

I don't think the comment was intended to be racist. Prejudicial, yes. But not racist. There's a difference. If it upset you that much, one star and move on. We are Uber drivers, not change agents for racial relations.

ElectricEliminator

I was raised in the hood, if you call that racist then your very white. Its their way of joking.
So a hispanic driver who got annoyed at a white passenger "joking" about putting their Salsa music back on would be what, very brown? I'll have to give it a try next time I get a ride somewhere.

jerseyboys

If you really think about it. You were stereotyping your self. Like these 40 year black people like RB music.

I like Z100 . They want to listen to Their music. Here’s the Aux cord. Knock yourself out.

ElectricEliminator

I have to be honest. One of the greatest compliments I ever received was cooking a soul food dish and being told be an African-American acquaintance that it was the best collards she ever had by a white person.

I don't think the comment was intended to be racist. Prejudicial, yes. But not racist. There's a difference. If it upset you that much, one star and move on. We are Uber drivers, not change agents for racial relations.
It was really just a minor annoyance in an otherwise slow, crappy evening. Do I think it was meant in a hateful manner? Probably not, but I think it was definitely meant to get a rise out of me.

atthehop

I am asian and make fun of all the whites I work with, in fact I make fun of all the asians also. You better just service your own kind.

jerseyboys

I hear you. It’s a double standard that I hate. I would never say to a black dude. Go back to your black music. hahaha

BTW it’s been really SLOW. I actually can’t wait for school to start again in the Fall.

ElectricEliminator

I am asian and make fun of all the whites I work with, in fact I make fun of all the asians also. You better just service your own kind.
I serve people of all "kinds" and never have any problems doing so. I'm not one of these PC idiots either, but when you're with someone you don't know, especially someone providing you a service, I can't really say that kind of behavior is appropriate.

ElectricEliminator

If you really think about it. You were stereotyping your self. Like these 40 year black people like RB music.

I like Z100 . They want to listen to Their music. Here’s the Aux cord. Knock yourself out.
Usually it's aux cord all the way, or I ask if there's a station preference. And the station I landed on was dumb luck, I couldn't find a hits station right away and the rock and rap stations can be obnoxious depending on who you're with, so I just stopped on what I deemed to be the first inoffensive station I could find.

tohunt4me

So I get a ping in Princeton last night, two black women around 40 or so get in the car, heading back to Trenton not far from the train station. OK... Fine... They ask me to put some music on. OK... Fine... Now I'm mostly a metalhead, and while I don't like generalizing, I haven't met too many black female metalheads in my life. So I ask what they would like to listen to. "Anything" is their answer.

Surmising that "anything" probably doesn't include Pantera I start scanning through my XM stations for the first non offensive station I can find. Landed on an old school R&B/Soul station playing Sly and the Family Stone. Who doesn't like that stuff?

Anyway, we get through a few songs that they are digging, even singing along to quietly. Arrive at the drop off, say "have a good night", get the same back, but somewhat quietly one of them throws in "You can go put your white station/music back on". Keep in mind... Per my usual policy the radio was OFF at the start of the trip. What kind of crap is that?
They were just teasing you.

Girls just want to have fun.

Attachments

tohunt4me

Too much PC in the world.

Leaches the fun out of things.