Unemployment assistance for RS drivers

AIDM

Man, nobody on here is saying anything that is useful in filing for unemployment for people who drive for Uber or Lyft in California because we need the SEIN to get pass the 3rd page on the unemployment website and THEY KNEW THIS! This number is different than the FEIN that the companies get assigned to them from the federal government AND THEY KNEW WE WOULDN'T BE ABLE TO GET THAT NUMBER! We need to find someone who works for Uber and Lyft as regular employees and they can give it to us cause its on line 15 of their W-2!

nj9000

I haven't applied because I figure the unemployment offices in each state haven't prepared yet. Its only been 2 business days since it was signed into law. Do it now and could get stuck getting denied and having to file an appeal. I'll give it about a week and then try.

It is my understanding that the $1200 is an advance on a 2020 tax year rebate and getting the full 39 weeks of $600 in unemployment would gross $23400, which would be around $2614-$1200=$2414 in federal tax (using 10% for $9700 and 12% up to $39475) ending up with a net of $20786

On the other side I'm not sure how the SBA loan and $10,000 advance will factor in, if a Sole-Proprietor sends 1099s to anyone and uses that as number of employees (otherwise it is my understanding that the number is zero) then there is the possibility that the amounts sent would also be forgiven.

Disclaimer: The above is not advice, and I am not responsible for how it is interpreted and/or used.

welikecamping

...I wonder if those getting excited about UI benefit checks understand you also can't go 'online' when you are getting checks. One cancels the other ie if you are taking pings, you also can't claim checks. That's how it works.
It appears that in Arizona, you can. You just have to note your income on your weekly claim.

2starDriver

Man, nobody on here is saying anything that is useful in filing for unemployment for people who drive for Uber or Lyft in California because we need the SEIN to get pass the 3rd page on the unemployment website and THEY KNEW THIS! This number is different than the FEIN that the companies get assigned to them from the federal government AND THEY KNEW WE WOULDN'T BE ABLE TO GET THAT NUMBER! We need to find someone who works for Uber and Lyft as regular employees and they can give it to us cause its on line 15 of their W-2!
there is an option that “couldn’t find state id” #
Remember from my wife’s w2 application

Amsoil Uber Connect

It is better to have tried and failed, than to have tried not.

I did not see a place for the SEIN # and you don't think the State can not cross ref that ?
They do every time with your Fed return.

observer

It appears that in Arizona, you can. You just have to note your income on your weekly claim.
California as well.

If you make over a certain amount then your UI benefit is lowered.

Being online doesn't necessarily mean you are making money. You also have expenses to deduct from what Uber pays.

In reality Uber should be paying for those expenses.

Forresto

Don't know if it'll pan out, but I'm on hold with uber customer support right now, and the guy said he's trying to find the info. Either uber is going out of their way to make the info difficult to find, or they were super unready. I'll let you guys know if I get anything.

Edit: after talking to the customer service rep, apparently uber submitted for unemployment for me because I called? I have no idea how that works, but it seems like by calling customer service they submit a request for you. Seems shady, but not sure what the other options are.

Also, shoutout to california who removed the "talk to representative" option from their unemployment phone number

Last edited:

Mash Ghasem

Don't know if it'll pan out, but I'm on hold with uber customer support right now, and the guy said he's trying to find the info. Either uber is going out of their way to make the info difficult to find, or they were super unready. I'll let you guys know if I get anything.

Edit: after talking to the customer service rep, apparently uber submitted for unemployment for me because I called? I have no idea how that works, but it seems like by calling customer service they submit a request for you. Seems shady, but not sure what the other options are.

Also, shoutout to california who removed the "talk to representative" option from their unemployment phone number
That doesn't quite make sense (the norm of anything coming out of support): as far as I know, only you the individual can submit a request with the EDD. The only role of an employer during an unemployment claim is to receive an unemployment claim letter from EDD, and to respond to it if they want to dispute it. Or at least, that's how it was before this mess.

Last edited:

Forresto

That doesn't quite make sense (the norm of anything coming our of support): as far as I know, only you the individual can submit a request with the EDD. The only role of an employer during an unemployment claim is to receive an unemployment claim letter from EDD, and to respond to it if they want to dispute it. Or at least, that's how it was before this mess.
That's what has me confused, but I also don't know whether this is some new thing they put into place because of uber drivers not normally qualifying for unemployment.

Honestly though, I'm extremely paranoid that the support guy put it in the proverbial suggestion box.

Forresto

I called support again, and badgered a customer support person into coughing up the truth. Uber literally doesn't have an esid number, because they don't have any official employees. (Despite the bill that passed in cali that made everyone theoretically employees, and the fact that their offices are here)

Not sure what happened with the first person who I called that said they filed unemployment for me.

observer

I called support again, and badgered a customer support person into coughing up the truth. Uber literally doesn't have an esid number, because they don't have any official employees. (Despite the bill that passed in cali that made everyone theoretically employees)
Uber does have regular employees.

Don't try and get UI through Uber.

Post automatically merged:

Read through this thread,

Pay especially close attention to @LADryver s posts.

Forresto

Uber does have regular employees.

Don't try and get UI through Uber.

Read through this thread,

Pay especially close attention to @LADryver s posts.
I appreciate the attempt, but that doesn't really help. The ein number is different from the number that we're talking about here, and I would have to be able to submit a claim first in order to be officially denied, and thus fill out the "misclassified worker" form

Forresto

Guys, I figured it out. There's a button hidden in the corner of the page that says "last employer not listed." So you can enter uber's info there.

LADryver

Guys, I figured it out. There's a button hidden in the corner of the page that says "last employer not listed." So you can enter uber's info there.
Wrong. Just wait. They will "welcome" you with a link when ready. Uber is not your employer. "Don't mind that man he ain't your papa".

LADryver

If you
I get it. Still gotta at least try
Dealing with state government gives more headaches than you could anticipate. California, at least, has a provision where you can only have one benefit year active. There is another provision that provides appeals. Appeals can fix problems of procedure. Yet another provision lets you cancel a claim and start over. Here are the differences:

You can only cancel a claim that either has not been processed, or been approved, before you recieve any benefits.

You can not cancel any denied claim.

Denied claims can be appealed, within 30 days.

I personally have an employer and my claim is in process. They are delayed for everyone. But if I had to rely on the Uber, I would be facing a dilemma. I would see that California has not yet established the program. I would need my benefits payable for when I would have applied for them if I could. So without this, because claims have no hindsight, I would have to struggle against this. Maybe, I could hope, they would automatically backdate it to the logical time frame, or I would need somehow to prove my attempt to apply. Here would be my best attempt: I would write a letter to the agency of UI and mail it from the post office (essential service) with a "Certificate of Mailing" or a "Proof of Delivery" added. I would write my situation, my attempt to apply for benefits, the date of my attempt, and that I am a Gig Worker for Emergency Benefits. I would include my social security number, my address, my phone number, the earnings I have made in the past quarters, and I would request the chance to make my claim. I would keep a copy of the letter with the postal paperwork. This is what I believe would preserve the right date for my claim.

If anyone puts out that theoretic effort, I hope it works. Because filing a claim will not.

AIDM

How do we find Uber's ESIN number to apply for unemployment insurance? That is the roadblock on the EDD website when attempting to apply. I can only find the EIN number, which is the federal number - I need the California state ESIN (8 digits) to find Uber as the employer and continue with the application.

Regardless of whether or not we will get any UI benefits, it seems there is a chance with this stimulus package including increased UI benefits, so it would be smart to apply given that benefits start the week you apply for them. Even if rejected benefits, it's possible there might be changes to in the coming weeks and maybe they will be allowed for rideshare drivers, and again, we would be paid the benefits starting the Sunday of the week we apply.
Please let me know if you find Uber & Lyft California EIN (8 digits and different than FEIN)

Can you do it online?
What are their California EIN's for Uber and Lyft?

You can't do it there cause it ask for their Sate EIN and if you don't know it it doesn't let you go to the next page