Unemployment assistance for RS drivers

luvgurl22

Who to contact EXACTLY in CA? See this is the first economy crisis that I have faced in my adult life. So I have no experience.
https://www.edd.ca.gov/Unemployment/Filing_a_Claim.htm
Post automatically merged:

Who to contact EXACTLY in CA? See this is the first economy crisis that I have faced in my adult life. So I have no experience.
UPDATE ON UNEMPLOYMENT INSURANCE FOR UBER/LYFT DRIVERS:

(1) As an Uber and/or Lyft driver, you should be able to receive unemployment insurance. Please click on this link to find out how to apply. https://www.edd.ca.gov/Unemployment/Filing_a_Claim.htm

Lyft:
EIN 20-8809830
185 Berry St Suite 5000, SF CA 94017 Supervisor: Logan Green

Uber:
EIN 45-2647441
1455 Market St, Suite 400, SF CA 94103 Supervisor: Dara Khosrowshahi

(2) In the event that you are denied or receive notice of a $0 award, then please fill out this form: https://form.jotform.com/200797704844160.

Finally, if you do not have health insurance, please apply for either MediCal (for individuals netting up to $17,237/year) or for a health insurance plan through Covered California (individuals making up to $49,960/year will get a subsidy). The time to apply for a health insurance plan through Covered California has been extended until June 2020.

If you have either MediCal or a Covered California plan, screening and testing for the Corona Virus will be free.

Last edited by a moderator:

UStaxman

So Uber/Lyft drivers are specifically mentioned in the deal. How can we get that money? It is assistance upto months.
Please leave a helpful reply. Many drivers will read this and learn.

My market:> San Francisco, CA

Thank you!
i don’t think it applies if you are not laid off.
Uber and Lyft are still open for business (business is slow, but open). Unless Uber & Lyft suspends service you are able to go ‘ on line’ and work; you are not unemployed

observer

Just want to point out a couple things.

The way I understand it, there is regular Unemployment Insurance and there is the CV19 funds which are on top of Unemployment Insurance. Drivers in California and New York should be eligible for BOTH.

The quicker you apply the better because it may be harder to apply retroactively. Those funds may be lost. You don't have to be fully unemployed just able to prove your hours/wages have been reduced. Shouldn't be too hard to do now.

It may vary in other states but ALL drivers should apply anyway and if rejected keep appealing. If rejected also call your legislators and complain.

Nate5Star

I agree we need "to stop assuming. Your confusing everyone." But I do have one thing to toss in ;

Uber and Lyft are still open for business (business is slow, but open). Unless Uber & Lyft suspends service you are able to go ‘ on line’ and work; you are not unemployed
How can Uber and Lyft lay off someone who is not an employee? Except for California, we are all contractors. There is no such thing as a lay off of contractors.

observer

I agree we need "to stop assuming. Your confusing everyone." But I do have one thing to toss in ;

How can Uber and Lyft lay off someone who is not an employee? Except for California, we are all contractors. There is no such thing as a lay off of contractors.
New York also considers Uber drivers employees for Unemployment Insurance.

New Jersey filed a 650 million dollar lawsuit against Uber for three years of back Unemployment and Disability Insurance. So, it sounds like drivers in NJ may also qualify.

got a p

ok good for them, they are employees for this situation - at least ny atm. so that said, what about the other 48 states? no unemployment bc we can't get laid off, or is this gonna cross the barrier? i'm not expecting anything bc i think this is all political posturing, well i guess i'll receive the $1.2k, but i think they're just scoring brownies off americans gullibility atm.

CanadianbaconSF

This seems to be an exception drivers in NY and CA have been added into. If we werent getting anything, they wouldnt of included us.

observer

ok good for them, they are employees for this situation - at least ny atm. so that said, what about the other 48 states? no unemployment bc we can't get laid off, or is this gonna cross the barrier? i'm not expecting anything bc i think this is all political posturing, well i guess i'll receive the $1.2k, but i think they're just scoring brownies off americans gullibility atm.
It actually looks like drivers in all states will get both unemployment and the CV19 stimulus of 600 per week.

TheDevilisaParttimer

So Uber/Lyft drivers are specifically mentioned in the deal. How can we get that money? It is assistance upto months.

Thank you!
Aren't you glad you didnt go out and get a car note for a minivan to live out of 😀

NISSA4152

My thoughts on that is because of the reduction in rides and income that should qualify. Just because a company is still staying open does not mean I believe that you cannot be laid off because there is a waitlist to becoming a driver. But as Rideshare workers I really don't know how that's going to work with the unemployment.

My thoughts on that is because of the reduction in rides and income that should qualify. Just because a company is still staying open does not mean I believe that you cannot be laid off because there is a waitlist to becoming a driver. But as Rideshare workers I really don't know how that's going to work with the unemployment.
Also I think my thoughts on this would be that they wanted to keep the $600 a week in there just because being able to give unemployment to people that are gig workers and Freelancers and contractors. I believe they said something to the effect of there are a lot of states were out dated in their unemployment system and this would be the easiest way how to get money across the board. So maybe their saying you work for the company but we can't figure out your wages so the federal government is giving us a amount that we can work with I also feel that we should keep in mind that this is a unique situation and that we should not expect unemployment unless something as big as the coronavirus.

Last edited:

Asificarewhatyoudontthink

Thank you!
Well, I can tell you that if you live in a republican run state this will be harder than elsewhere (it is going to be extremely difficult as it is due to the number of people applying for this assistance outside of gig workers). As an example, here in Florida if you have ever had to file for Unemployment you better hope you remember your pin number you registered. If not, you better hope you remember the Exact, to the letter and capitalization matters here, responses you gave to the three security questions.
Because here is what happens if you don't.
Your Unemployment sign in can't be authenticated and you have to call a toll free number.
A number that is (and has been since Rick Scott was our governor) understaffed intentionally.
A number that, rarely, offers the "call back option" as this option shuts off when call volume reaches a set point.
A number that, if you dare call it even seconds before the 7:30ET opening time just drops the call the instant 7:30ET hits forcing you to dial back.
A number that while all operators are busy doesn't just have you sit on hold. It specifically tells you to go to a website that can't help you do anything. And then repeats that message with no option to remain on hold. You are not in a queue like you would be on any other phone system where "Your call is very important to us" and "Your call will be handled in the order in which it was received".
No, the only option is to "call back at a later time" which, of course, it is still busy.

Also I think my thoughts on this would be that they wanted to keep the $600 a week in there just because being able to give unemployment to people that are gig workers and Freelancers and contractors. I believe they said something to the effect of there are a lot of states were out dated in their unemployment system and this would be the easiest way how to get money across the board. So maybe their saying you work for the company but we can't figure out your wages so the federal government is giving us a amount that we can work with I also feel that we should keep in mind that this is a unique situation and that we should not expect unemployment unless something as big as the coronavirus.
Actually it is because the states use Outdated systems.

"In Florida, your weekly benefit amount is calculated by dividing your total earnings for the highest paid quarter of the base period by 26, up to a current maximum of $275 per week. You can receive benefits for anywhere between 12 to 23 weeks, depending on Florida's current unemployment rate. "

So, yeah, that is so stupid as to push people into homelessness intentionally because failure to immediately get a job can't possibly be due to conditions beyond ones own control.

With the extra Federal money it makes life survivable for some folks. Just expect that most gig workers in Florida will only be getting pennies from the state and the Federal money added to it.

Actually, per the bill, this Unemployment extention to gig workers would work hand in hand with the "quit a job due to Covid 19" phrase.

Last edited:

UStaxman

Independent contractors can receive notices that ‘due to ... your services are not needed at this time’ or something to that affect.
That would be ‘laid off’; has anyone received a notice from Uber or Lyft?
Other option- which could be the solution- would be to provide one-time payment to all drivers based on average weekly rides last x number of weeks.

Demand is down; but such is the case for ALL sales and commission based employees- such is the purpose of the ‘stimulus checks’ to help everyone who has lost income.

Sepelion

Independent contractors can receive notices that ‘due to ... your services are not needed at this time’ or something to that affect.
That would be ‘laid off’; has anyone received a notice from Uber or Lyft?
Other option- which could be the solution- would be to provide one-time payment to all drivers based on average weekly rides last x number of weeks.

Demand is down; but such is the case for ALL sales and commission based employees- such is the purpose of the ‘stimulus checks’ to help everyone who has lost income.
Uber is sending drivers notices to switch to Uber eats. That's what I got today in my driver app and email.

They really aren't helping.