Unemployment Advice

JustALilBit

I've been reading through the UI threads but, I just was able to apply, due to not being able to log-in, so I wanted to see what guidance you guys had to offer.

What makes my situation apparent different than those who've already posted is that I was offered the option of applying for UI due to "disaster", where it doesn't seem that others had that option.
With that in mind, I'm concerned about not being offered/approved for traditional benefits.
And, I'm concerned about the back pay, after seeing others mention calling in to correct that. I stopped working March 31st.

wilsonz83

If you worked any W2 job last year you mostly will get the regular benefits. If only 1099 then you get disaster assistance.

JustALilBit

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
If you worked any W2 job last year you mostly will get the regular benefits. If only 1099 then you get disaster assistance.
Thanks! It seemed like those who weren't w2 were still getting regular benefits, from the responses I've seen, though 🤔

wilsonz83

Thanks! It seemed like those who weren't w2 were still getting regular benefits, from the responses I've seen, though 🤔
If you have any W2 for the past 4-5 quarters they will use that to determine your wage first. If you don't have enough then you get the DUA.

Laf118

Does regular benefits also include the $600 extra? I had a w2 job until sept last year when I started doing Uber. Mine says regular since I normally wouldn’t qualify as being self employed I was wondering how it’s regular.

wilsonz83

Does regular benefits also include the $600 extra? I had a w2 job until sept last year when I started doing Uber. Mine says regular since I normally wouldn’t qualify as being self employed I was wondering how it’s regular.
yes, whatever you are qualified for you get the $600

wilsonz83

you are on regular bc of this pandemic and you will have to run out of that benefit first before you can switch to DUA. for some people has a low pay W2 it sucks bc I have a friend who did part time last year and his benefit is $64 instead of $207 and there's no way they can switch him.

Laf118

you are on regular bc of this pandemic and you will have to run out of that benefit first before you can switch to DUA. for some people has a low pay W2 it sucks bc I have a friend who did part time last year and his benefit is $64 instead of $207 and there's no way they can switch him.
My account shows $329 a week with a balance of $6285 I haven’t been paid yet they say they’ll pay benefits on May 14 if I’m approved but I can’t live on $329 a week and you are saying I have to exhaust those benefits before I can get DUA? I wouldn’t even qualify under normal circumstances losing self employment so I can’t understand how they put you on regular. I never can get ahold of them.

wilsonz83

My account shows $329 a week with a balance of $6285 I haven’t been paid yet they say they’ll pay benefits on May 14 if I’m approved but I can’t live on $329 a week and you are saying I have to exhaust those benefits before I can get DUA? I wouldn’t even qualify under normal circumstances losing self employment so I can’t understand how they put you on regular. I never can get ahold of them.
you will get $329+$600, don't worry. Either regular or disaster all get $600 since the week ending at Apr 4th. In this case your past W2 actually helping you getting more money.

wilsonz83

Thanks I was getting worried about waiting on this if I only ended up with $329 a week.
you might get the money sooner than that. All the people I know with a regular benefit got approved pretty soon. Just keep an eye on your correspondence inbox to see if they ask you to send in any proof.

JustALilBit

When did you apply?

Laf118

I applied apr 18. I already had to certify for 2 weeks Apr 12-26 then I have to certify this Tuesday for another 2 weeks and it says they will issue payment May 14 if I’m eligible.

Ziggy

I applied apr 18. I already had to certify for 2 weeks Apr 12-26 then I have to certify this Tuesday for another 2 weeks and it says they will issue payment May 14 if I’m eligible.
You have to Request Payment every 2 weeks ... that's how UI works; if you don't Request Payment, then you won't get paid as they'll assume you started working again

JustALilBit

Thanks!

Did you receive any correspondence, other than the automated messages on the website, such as requesting earnings reports, etc?

JustALilBit

Just wanted to add my data points, now that I received money.

• I couldn't even get into my account until May 3, due to the system not allowing me to reset my password. I somehow got through on the phone
  • I applied for benefits on May 3rd
  • I certified on May 19 at 12 a.m.
  • By 3 a.m. I saw a change in my payment info, from the original, generic $207. I was shown that I had been paid but, not what my remaining benefit amount.
  • May 21st I received the money in my checking account.
  • Today, my account still does not show my remaining benefits amount. And, I did not receive any back-pay yet, I believe that will happen on my next payment.

wilsonz83

Tecnically you don't have any benefit left bc unlike W2 employees which their employers pay the UI tax, 1099 never contribute any money to UI so whatever you are getting is from the federal government under CARE act.

If your claim start date is March then you will get back pay, but if the start date is May then you would have to call to have them backdate your claim before you can get that money.