Understanding Boost, my city and deliveries

Alohams

I'm newish to the delivery game. Some shit happened and basically I got left with some clothes, a car, and a computer. All I got to my name. So I figure delivering would be how I can make the most money to resolve this issue (since my house goes with me, I can set down anywhere in the city and be where I need to be 24/7). I can work literally 24/7. Can't do that with much else.

I have had boosts all day long. 1.5x to at 10pm 2.2x. but I seem to not have gotten a single boost in my payouts. I zoom out on my map and a blue bar pops up over the city saying "1.8x boost". I click it and the entire city lights up blue. There is no smaller circumstance created. There's no green box, no"infrared" shit. Nothing but an entire city of blue. So I click it and a menu pops up. 1.8x boost, a grey pentagon with an arrow symbol next to it, 11.1 miles under it, "Let's Go!" Button. I click Let's Go and it starts navigating me somewhere. I end this journey in a residential neighborhood. The end goal seems to be a specific house on east side of the street. However I have zero orders and do not know why I want to be near this house. I, however also, can not just park in a residential area for potentially hours, waiting for an order. I'll get the cops called on me. And as I said, I live where my car is so I try to sleep when I'm not actively getting orders so I can do the orders when I do get them. So I don't understand why I am being lead to this neighborhood by boosts. What am I missing? What are boosts? I've had them every single hour of today, have em every single hour of basically everyday for the next several days. But I have not received ANY boost money. It lights up the entire city, and I stay inside the city. I click boost, the entire city lights up, I am not shown any smaller boundary to go chill in. Nno green boxes, no infrared heat waves. I tried looking it up but I get none of what is shown. I'm shown my entire city blued out.

Do I go to specific areas to get more requests, or does it matter? Do I want to be driving all over the city all day long, or sitting in a parking lot, in the middle of the city reading, sleeping or @@@@in about in my car? I'm new, so I haven't figured out any patterns to most frequently visited restaurants yet. Over 19 hours today of active,100% acceptance of trips, I got offered 18 trips that made me 135$. I made like 7$ an hour. That's Less than a trip an hour. A trip averages me 15-25 minutes. That's over half my hour, every hour just @@@@ing around. That's way below min wage. Thats atrocious. I HAVE to be @@@@ing something up. Maybe UberEats just isn't "in" in my city. But I feel like with 500k people, there's gotta be more than 18 people who use it. Or are there just so many damn drivers in the city nobodies getting quantity? But from what I understand boosts are used to incentivize drivers to go online during those times. I had boosts from 3am going every single hour until now, 10pm, and boosts til midnight. My boosts we're 1.5x to 2.2x now, at 10pm. Tomorrow is the same. So I'm guessing they want me driving all day long? So if having boosts is meant to be taken as dangling a carrot to get a driver to go online, there much be few drivers. And if my cut of a trip is being more than doubled, there must be like nobody wanting to do it?

if anyone in Omaha knows what I should be doing to actually make money, would ya mind helping a bro out. I have 2.2x boost until 4am so if someone can help mme figure out how to use this shit, I'd love you long time. Do I go chill in Elkhorn? Downtown? Do I just take the interstate west, then go back east once I hit the end of Omaha? And wait for a offer? Do I hit a parking lot up in the middle of Omaha?Should I ever be in Council Bluffs? I do know one thing though ... I can not just park outside some person's house after 10pm until possibly 4am without them getting sketched out. "I'm an UberEats driver" doesn't quite explain that one lol.

thank you everyone that makes an attempt to help me understand.

Adfcalifornian

Man it’s 100% trial and error. Try different areas every couple of days. You’ll find one area is always busy during the normal work week and then dead during the weekends and vice versa. The key is being patient and learning where you live/work. Obviously hit places with MORE restaurants. Pay attention to where the biggest boosts are AND where it’s busiest. A high boost with no runs = no money. A 1.3 or higher that is busy will net you more runs. You’ll find that in the main cities you’ll have tons of runs but a lot of short distances, these can kill you....you’ll need a constant 5 runs an hour to break 20 dollars an hour. That can be hard unless the place is just busy as hell 100% . Find a place with medium range 5 to 10 min drop offs for the most part and it’s busy. I guess everything I just said is pointless . Find a happy medium between distance and how busy it is IN the highest boost possible. don’t wait for food for more than 5 minutes UNless you are in a slow area and you know it. It’s actually a thinking mans game which I find funny because most people think anyone can make money doing this
Post automatically merged:

Also stay current on the events in your area. Concerts, sports events even farmers markets have impacts in each and every area laid out on the map.

Last edited:

Alohams

So from what I gathered tonight, before I hit driving maximum, my entire city is the boost, not a specific area. So i can't follow boosts around, cause it's the entire boundary. And that's why I got so confused on how boost worked. It always showed a smaller area in the boundary. Mines just the entire boundary...

I get so few requests that I can not afford to not do one. I average one offer every like 1.2 hours. But really it's two chained together, none for 3 hours, 1, then nothing for hour and half, 3 pretty close, then a 5 hour gap. Then surprisingly enough, between 2/3-5/6ish am I get swamped with back to back hits and a 2.2x boost. Chances are I won't get another offer for 2 hours sometimes up to 5 hours, so that's why I need Info on GETTING more physical pings not how to effectively manage an abundance of pings. I need to be getting more than I can handle to start getting picky.

Right now the correct ping is the ping that shows up on my screen, cause it's going to be the only one for awhile. I chatted with a customer and missed one doing so, and I had to wait 45 mins for a new one. I woulda been done with the first one and ready for second even if I did 30 the whole way.

AtomicBlonde

I'm not in Omaha. Let's just get that out of the way up front. Lol.

The boost zone is outlined on the map. When you tell it to navigate there, it just sends you to the geographic center of that zone. There's no real purpose to doing that. What the boost zone means is, if the restaurant you pick up the food at is in the zone, you get the boost. You don't have to already be in the zone to get it. It's just based on the location of the restaurant.

When you get the ping it will tell you if a boost is applied. If you have a 1.5x boost (jealous!) it will say so when the request shows up on your screen. It's based on where the restaurant is, not where you are.

I haven't seen your boost map, but I think maybe you need to take a step back, forget the boost, and think about where your restaurants are. When I started, I picked a part of the city I already knew, where I knew the restaurants and knew the streets and so forth, and I went there. Knowing the restaurants is key. Pick a spot where you think you're among a lot of restaurants, park, and open the customer app. Tell it you want delivery to your current location. Look at what restaurants show up. Look at the ones with the lowest fees, because those are the closest.

Figure out your hotspots. There are places where you can park where you're close to a lot of restaurants on the platform. Those are your hotspots. No one is going to tell you where they are, because no one wants you in their hotspot, potentially taking an order they could have had. No, you don't want to be driving all over the city, because that costs you money. You want to be parked someplace.

You know at least a little bit of your city. Where are the restaurants? You know this. Where's a spot with a whole bunch of restaurants? Go there and park, and bring up the customer app, and put in current location, and put in a filter for the minimum delivery fee. Now you're looking at a list of what restaurants in the area are on the platform. Is it a good spot? Are you close to 6 or 8 of them?

Figure out a spot and go park there. Don't drive around. Wait. Get your pings.

Learn that area. After you finish your delivery, drive back. I mean, sure, keep the app on and see what pings come in, but if nothing interesting comes in, drive back. You're learning. You want to stick to an area you know. Right now you're gonna be doing some dead miles. It's more important to learn your areas, because being close to the restaurants is really important. You have to find those hotspots, and again, no one is going to tell you where they are. If you run into another driver at a restaurant and she tells you about a good spot, she's probably lying. I've met maybe 2 drivers at restaurants that I liked enough to tell them the truth.

So you're sleeping in your car, right? Been there, done that. You're going to have times when it wouldn't make sense for any normal person to be working, but you have the app on. Those are the times when you can experiment. I mean, you know at 3pm you're probably not going to make much money, so why not try something new? Drive to that spot you've been wondering about and park in a lot where you know no one will bother you, and chill. Maybe you get nothing, but maybe you get something that turns you on to a new hotspot.

When you're parking someplace just hanging out, yeah, don't park in front of someone's house. The Uber boost spot is just the geographic center of the zone. Obviously don't go there. Lol. Pick a parking lot that doesn't have security, or if it does, you're there at a time when they don't care. I'm sure you know by now how to tell what parking lots are okay.

Ideally you want a parking lot where there are 4 or 5 restaurants on the UE platform all sharing a parking lot. You want a spot where you can count on a ping coming in where you don't even have to drive. You just accept the ping, get out of your car, and go into the restaurant. That's zero dead miles. Find those parking lots.

I'm worried about the fact that you said 100% acceptance. No. Choose your pings. If it's too far away, no. If it's McDonald's, no. If a ping comes up where you have to drive a couple miles, and there's no guarantee on it, you may end up driving father to the restaurant (not getting paid) than you do driving to the customer. No. There is no penalty for declining or canceling. Eventually you will learn the restaurants, and you will know which ones are okay to take even if it's a long drive. Knowing the restaurants is the most important thing. I think, if your acceptance rate is over about 20% you're doing it wrong. You can decline as many pings as you want, and cancel right after accepting as many as you want, with no consequence. If you accept a ping, always look at the restaurant and the items on the order, because right then, you can cancel the order with no consequence at all. I've had my cancelation rate over 50% and no one at Uber ever said a word to me about it.

When you're new you want to be near those restaurants. That's what's going to get you started. Figure out where the restaurants are and find your hotspots. A ping comes up for a restaurant you never heard of before? Maybe you learn a new restaurant.

I don't know Omaha. You do. Should you ever be in Council Bluffs? I dunno. Tell me. Maybe not a lot of drivers go there, and you can do well there. Try it one night when you end up near there and don't think there's a compelling reason to drive back. Ending up in some stupid place can be an opportunity to learn a new area. You go over the bridge into Council Bluffs on some stupid delivery where you're cursing the customer for taking you into the middle of nowhere, and... give it a shot. Hang out there for a while and see if anything comes up. You're right off I-80 so if it doesn't work out, you can go back with mostly highway miles. Maybe you're the guy who figures out that no one else works Council Bluffs, and you can go there every night and make some cash.

That's the reality of this job. You're trying to be the one who figured out something no one else figured out yet. When you're talking to another driver at a restaurant, be careful about what you share. When you're talking to a hostess or bartender, be careful about what you share, because they will blab to other drivers. I'm more than happy to share my experience, but sharing my hotspots? I might need those later. Lol.

Alohams

Boosts were confusing me so much because the boosts I'm getting are the ENTIRE boundary. It's not an "area". It's the whole city. So I saw and heard everyone say it's an area inside the boundary, but nobody ever said it could just be the whole boundary itself. I thought things were glitching on me.

And no, I'm not from here. I came up here bout 3 years ago, and I never stepped foot in Omaha til bout a year ago. And that was for work, a very specific route you can only one way, and don't pay attention to anything. Wasn't until like 3 months ago that I would find myself in Omaha in any way. And past weekish is the only time I've been in Omaha over 1-2 hours a day/week. I've honestly no idea where and what anything is. The city is starting to form cohesion though.

That's kinda what I do. I'd stop, head to sleep and get waken by a ping. I do it. Stay in the area, parked, for 20-30 mins. Nothing, I go somewhere else. 50/50 I get something on the way. If it doesn't happen, it's a two hour wait no matter if I'm traveling to every corner of the city or sitting.

Yes, ideally I would only take min/max orders. But you get an offer, then wait 5 hours to get a new one, and you do not develop a reason as to why you possibly decline the only one you will get in the next 5 hours. I need to be getting 3+ within 5 mins for me to be able to be choosy. I need to know that if I hit decline, I didn't just turn a 2 hour wait into 7 now.

What's wrong with McDs? Been reasonable for me.

Both of you say learn the area. Fair enough. Is this not an attempt to learn the area? Lol. Take the questions to mean ... Is Omaha just dead, or am I being a dumbass? You can say I'm a dumbass, you do Omaha too and pull 250$ a night. That's just as helpful to me. Now I know I'm @@@@ing up, and can't be cause nobody uses the app. There's something I can do. But at the same time it can be all over the place. 4-430am I brought home 34$. 30 mins, 3 deliveries, 34$. Nice. Then I didn't get one til 7am.7:30, 8:40. So you can kiss the Nice bye bye. It seems I get them one of two way. 2-3 chained real close together, real quickly popped out, under 30-45 mins, then nothing for 2+ hours, or 1 an hour just about every hour.but ya know, I just found out you also get paid by min for delivery. Which to me says I don't want to rush them. But if I'm understanding this maximum drive length thing correctly, you REALLY want restaurant to customer to be short and in 2.2x.

I was already driving. May as well have this running too.

But it didn't matter, I hit driving maximum like 30 mins afterward while I was getting back to back orders. Why am I maximized based on actual time in an order and not time online? If it's for safety, just how is that safe for anyone? It took nearly 22 hours for me to do 12 hours and get blocked out. Not sure I understand the point to the maximum.

amazinghl

Sign up for all the food delivery services, turn them ALL on then decide for yourself which works best for you and how you can make the best money.

If I see the ping is from a mall, I cancel.
If I see the ping is from a restaurant with poor service (McD/Burger King), I cancel.
If I see the ping is from a restaurant with I know that doesn't start prepareing food until the driver arrive (McD/Burger King), I cancel.
If I see the ping is from a restaurant with no parking (college/university/mall) area, I cancel.
If I get to the restaurant, worker doesn't acknowledge me within 30 seconds, I walk out. Unless I am behind other customers.
If I get to the restaurant, and the restaurant haven't even enter the order yet, I cancel.
If I get to the restaurant, the restaurant tells me is a 10 minute wait, I cancel; because my experience is when a restaurant tells a time, it usually is double the amount, unless it is a pizza restaurant because of oven cooking.
If I get to a restaurant, and it is FULL of people, I walk out and cancel. Because your order is behind ALL those people.

You lose money waiting. Anyone made you wait has taken money out of your wallet!!!

Last edited:

uberboy1212

If you're relying on delivery for money then you need to sign up for at least one other gig and run them together. You can only make so much with one. Sitting around waiting for orders is not an option any more when this is your main source of income. You need to figure out which one of them is busiest in your area and have at least one backup just in case its slow or you cant get on schedule. Good luck hope it works out for you

dlearl476

I'm not in Omaha. Let's just get that out of the way up front. Lol.

The boost zone is outlined on the map. When you tell it to navigate there, it just sends you to the geographic center of that zone. There's no real purpose to doing that. What the boost zone means is, if the restaurant you pick up the food at is in the zone, you get the boost. You don't have to already be in the zone to get it. It's just based on the location of the restaurant.

When you get the ping it will tell you if a boost is applied. If you have a 1.5x boost (jealous!) it will say so when the request shows up on your screen. It's based on where the restaurant is, not where you are.

I haven't seen your boost map, but I think maybe you need to take a step back, forget the boost, and think about where your restaurants are. When I started, I picked a part of the city I already knew, where I knew the restaurants and knew the streets and so forth, and I went there. Knowing the restaurants is key. Pick a spot where you think you're among a lot of restaurants, park, and open the customer app. Tell it you want delivery to your current location. Look at what restaurants show up. Look at the ones with the lowest fees, because those are the closest.

Figure out your hotspots. There are places where you can park where you're close to a lot of restaurants on the platform. Those are your hotspots. No one is going to tell you where they are, because no one wants you in their hotspot, potentially taking an order they could have had. No, you don't want to be driving all over the city, because that costs you money. You want to be parked someplace.

You know at least a little bit of your city. Where are the restaurants? You know this. Where's a spot with a whole bunch of restaurants? Go there and park, and bring up the customer app, and put in current location, and put in a filter for the minimum delivery fee. Now you're looking at a list of what restaurants in the area are on the platform. Is it a good spot? Are you close to 6 or 8 of them?

Figure out a spot and go park there. Don't drive around. Wait. Get your pings.

Learn that area. After you finish your delivery, drive back. I mean, sure, keep the app on and see what pings come in, but if nothing interesting comes in, drive back. You're learning. You want to stick to an area you know. Right now you're gonna be doing some dead miles. It's more important to learn your areas, because being close to the restaurants is really important. You have to find those hotspots, and again, no one is going to tell you where they are. If you run into another driver at a restaurant and she tells you about a good spot, she's probably lying. I've met maybe 2 drivers at restaurants that I liked enough to tell them the truth.

So you're sleeping in your car, right? Been there, done that. You're going to have times when it wouldn't make sense for any normal person to be working, but you have the app on. Those are the times when you can experiment. I mean, you know at 3pm you're probably not going to make much money, so why not try something new? Drive to that spot you've been wondering about and park in a lot where you know no one will bother you, and chill. Maybe you get nothing, but maybe you get something that turns you on to a new hotspot.

When you're parking someplace just hanging out, yeah, don't park in front of someone's house. The Uber boost spot is just the geographic center of the zone. Obviously don't go there. Lol. Pick a parking lot that doesn't have security, or if it does, you're there at a time when they don't care. I'm sure you know by now how to tell what parking lots are okay.

Ideally you want a parking lot where there are 4 or 5 restaurants on the UE platform all sharing a parking lot. You want a spot where you can count on a ping coming in where you don't even have to drive. You just accept the ping, get out of your car, and go into the restaurant. That's zero dead miles. Find those parking lots.

I'm worried about the fact that you said 100% acceptance. No. Choose your pings. If it's too far away, no. If it's McDonald's, no. If a ping comes up where you have to drive a couple miles, and there's no guarantee on it, you may end up driving father to the restaurant (not getting paid) than you do driving to the customer. No. There is no penalty for declining or canceling. Eventually you will learn the restaurants, and you will know which ones are okay to take even if it's a long drive. Knowing the restaurants is the most important thing. I think, if your acceptance rate is over about 20% you're doing it wrong. You can decline as many pings as you want, and cancel right after accepting as many as you want, with no consequence. If you accept a ping, always look at the restaurant and the items on the order, because right then, you can cancel the order with no consequence at all. I've had my cancelation rate over 50% and no one at Uber ever said a word to me about it.

When you're new you want to be near those restaurants. That's what's going to get you started. Figure out where the restaurants are and find your hotspots. A ping comes up for a restaurant you never heard of before? Maybe you learn a new restaurant.

I don't know Omaha. You do. Should you ever be in Council Bluffs? I dunno. Tell me. Maybe not a lot of drivers go there, and you can do well there. Try it one night when you end up near there and don't think there's a compelling reason to drive back. Ending up in some stupid place can be an opportunity to learn a new area. You go over the bridge into Council Bluffs on some stupid delivery where you're cursing the customer for taking you into the middle of nowhere, and... give it a shot. Hang out there for a while and see if anything comes up. You're right off I-80 so if it doesn't work out, you can go back with mostly highway miles. Maybe you're the guy who figures out that no one else works Council Bluffs, and you can go there every night and make some cash.

That's the reality of this job. You're trying to be the one who figured out something no one else figured out yet. When you're talking to another driver at a restaurant, be careful about what you share. When you're talking to a hostess or bartender, be careful about what you share, because they will blab to other drivers. I'm more than happy to share my experience, but sharing my hotspots? I might need those later. Lol.
AB, I agree with everything you say with the exception of McDs. IMO, you have to take them on a case by case basis. There are 5 in my area. Two I block because of crap service. One I only accept if it a $5< guarantee, but the other two I make bank. One is in close proximity to student housing and when it's busy I'll make 2-3 trips/hr (extra $10-15) the other seems to always have long delivery distances = $7-$10/trip. Granted, they're not the $30 PF Chaing/Red Lobster trips, but they pay for the gas to make them.

Adfcalifornian

If you're relying on delivery for money then you need to sign up for at least one other gig and run them together. You can only make so much with one. Sitting around waiting for orders is not an option any more when this is your main source of income. You need to figure out which one of them is busiest in your area and have at least one backup just in case its slow or you cant get on schedule. Good luck hope it works out for you
And yes if it’s that slow in your area I’m 100% behind this person, sign up for more than 1 gig and learn if any of the others can be stand alone gigs or if you need to run 2 apps at once. I’ve never had to but I’m just lucky Uber eats is popular here

Alohams

If you're relying on delivery for money then you need to sign up for at least one other gig and run them together. You can only make so much with one. Sitting around und waiting for orders is not an option any more when this is your main source of income. You need to figure out which one of them is busiest in your area and have at least one backup just in case its slow or you cant get on schedule. Good luck hope it works out for you

I signed up for 4 total. UberEats was the first to allow me to work. So i just use it for now. GrubHub and Postmates both require a hotbags and type of credit card they send you and I have not received them yet, so I can't use them yet. I don't think DoorDash even ever got back to me tho. So I was thinking of signing up with SkipTheDishes and see if that works.

If I can have 4 running and signed on, that doesn't cause app issues or fry my phone out right, I will absolutely be doing that so I am getting as many orders as I can of as high a quality as I can. Seems to be a lot of work/hassle for the pay it offers, but putting work in and stuff was never the issue for me. I'll put 10x the work into something paying 12/hr if I can mentally handle it and it fits me mental illness wise than I am something paying 30/hr that I am going to fail to do longer than 1-2 months cause it @@@@s with my head so much.

I have mental illness issues so work I can find that fits with me is hard. But so far, this is seeming like something that would fit, as I spent so much time yesterday doing it when I simply would not have if it was absolutely not fitting. Even homeless, I would not spend 21 hours doin shit that will destroy me mentally/emotionally.

doggerel

Any area that has boosts that high is going to be slow as heck. It is why the boosts are so high--because demand is just not there to justify working the area without a big incentive.

If you are homeless, and working a high boost area, you are taking a big gamble. In areas like that you might sit for 3 hours with no delivery, or you might get 3 in a row and make out like a bandit.

You need to drive or commute to the nearest big city and just work the steady but low-paying rides, honestly.

That said, you need to check the Uber app (not the driver app) and see what restaurants are around you, and go sit in the lot of one of them. Mcdonalds, five guys, Fridays and such are your best bets.

Expect to wait in high boost areas. There is no way around it.

dlearl476

Any area that has boosts that high is going to be slow as heck. It is why the boosts are so high--because demand is just not there to justify working the area without a big incentive.

If you are homeless, and working a high boost area, you are taking a big gamble. In areas like that you might sit for 3 hours with no delivery, or you might get 3 in a row and make out like a bandit.

You need to drive or commute to the nearest big city and just work the steady but low-paying rides, honestly.

That said, you need to check the Uber app (not the driver app) and see what restaurants are around you, and go sit in the lot of one of them. Mcdonalds, five guys, Fridays and such are your best bets.

I don't buy that for a second. I used to drive in SLC with 1.8-2.1 boosts on Saturday and have deliveries lined up for 6-7 hours straight. Same down here in my town in Sunday with 1.9 boosts. Always had a ping before I finished a delivery.

That was before over saturation with DD, GH, and UE

Alohams

So they're incentivizing people to work the entire city? Or are there not enough drivers for the area and it's a way to push drivers to drive around to pick up trips? It's so slow, they just want someone in the city active? Y'all say areas, but it's the entire city for me, I found out. Any trip i take anywhere, at anytime is boosted. Got confused, area/s, city lights up, what areas? The whole area? Is there supposed to a smaller area? If so, I don't see a small area. I just see an entire city.

I have found the higher the boost goes, the more trips I seem to get though. I found out I can look at my trips day to day and see details. So I looked through my days and tried to see what was happwning. Tonight I made 36$ in hour and half on 3 massive orders. One trip like 2-3 after those was a guaranteed 15$, think it took 17 mins total? By the end of 4 hours I'm at 78$. Tonight has been a slaughter. So I may have found my answer on how to do this somewhat efficiently. Atleast fri-sun. Once I can get GrubHub and Postmates started, I can prob add new times of the day. But today I started late with a high boost. I seem to get more orders the later it gets with 3-5am being my busiest hours, at least fri-sun. But lunch and dinner? I don't get any for the life of me. And that's also when the boost is 2-2.2x. 10pm to 4am. I'm a night owl anyway so I prefer it actually.

I end up in the big city. By big city it's 500k, not millions. When I didn't know Max Drive Limit was a thing, a 3 hour break here and there would have been fine. I need to sleep sometime. But 3 hour breaks then a mandatory 6 hour break to boot if I just sleep and deliver? @@@@ that noise. No need for the 6 hour break if I'm getting the 3 hour one's.

I do appreciate the UberEats app idea. Didn't think of that. Just been guessing shit at this point.

doggerel

No. There is always too many drivers. Yours is a demand problem.

Do they have DoorDash in your area? Maybe try that. DD is kicking Uber's butt here in New Jersey and other places

AtomicBlonde

And no, I'm not from here. I came up here bout 3 years ago, and I never stepped foot in Omaha til bout a year ago. And that was for work, a very specific route you can only one way, and don't pay attention to anything. Wasn't until like 3 months ago that I would find myself in Omaha in any way. And past weekish is the only time I've been in Omaha over 1-2 hours a day/week. I've honestly no idea where and what anything is. The city is starting to form cohesion though.

Ah. Yes, you will learn it now. You will learn it like a MFer. Lol

Doing this for 6 months I know this city so much better than I did after living here for years. It's crazy how well I know it now, at least the westside, where I spend most of my time. My friends all want me to drive now. They say I'm scary, because I drive like a cab driver now and yell at people to get out of the damn way, but I know all the shortcuts.

The problem is that you have to know at least something to get started. I started by working in an area I already knew. I knew the restaurants and the streets. I kept branching out as deliveries took me elsewhere. I'd be somewhere crazy, thinking I would just drive back "home", but I'd get a ping and when I would arrive, the parking lot would look promising. So, some other time, bring up the customer app and see what's nearby. One night, just drive there on spec and give it a shot. And then, suddenly, it's not "somewhere crazy". At this point I can end up literally anywhere on the westside of Vegas and either I know where the nearby hotspot is, or I know there isn't one and I lost the dice roll on that run.

In fact, I rarely work the area I started in any more. I found better ones. But if a delivery ends me up there, no problem. It's nostalgic! Awww, I remember this restaurant! I was so young then!

That's kinda what I do. I'd stop, head to sleep and get waken by a ping. I do it. Stay in the area, parked, for 20-30 mins. Nothing, I go somewhere else. 50/50 I get something on the way. If it doesn't happen, it's a two hour wait no matter if I'm traveling to every corner of the city or sitting.

I don't think anyone has a definitive answer to the question of whether you sit and wait, or go somewhere else. I'll pull up stakes and move on spec if I know the area I'm in is getting cold because of the time of night. But if it's supposed to be busy, and it's not, you don't know why. Is it busy but there are too many drivers? Or is it unusually slow? Should I just wait and see if I get something, or should I drive 7 miles to another hotspot? You're basically guessing most of the time on that.

What's wrong with McDs? Been reasonable for me.

You'll find differences of opinion on McDs, even in this very thread. I cut them off months ago. Sometimes they work out, most of the time they don't, at least for me. My first week I wondered why so many people here were so down on McDs, because I had some good ones and even some good tips from them. I got a $5 cash tip on my first McDs run. But that was just luck. Long waits, short deliveries, few tips, douchy college kid customers, and gods forbid you get one after midnight when the dining room is closed and you have to go to the drive-thru. 20 minute wait just to get the food.

I don't take them under any circumstance any more. I would if I had a quest promo and wanted a short run and didn't care about the tip (only before midnight) but promos are a thing of the past.

Both of you say learn the area. Fair enough. Is this not an attempt to learn the area? Lol. Take the questions to mean ... Is Omaha just dead, or am I being a dumbass? You can say I'm a dumbass, you do Omaha too and pull 250$ a night. That's just as helpful to me. Now I know I'm @@@@ing up, and can't be cause nobody uses the app. There's something I can do.

I'm not seeing any other Omaha people here chiming in, so yeah, we don't have a definitive answer for you. It's possible that you just have to find a good area to get you started. Bring up a map and figure out a spot with a lot of restaurants. It doesn't hurt if it's near an affluent residential area. Is there a "downtown" Omaha? Where all the nightlife happens? Maybe go there. The key is to be close to the restaurants, not necessarily the customers.

(Nowadays you can fish for those minimum-guarantee pings, for which you actually don't want to be too close to the restaurants. But I have a feeling that's a more advanced class, and we have to get you started first.)

The customer app is your friend. Say you're parked somewhere and you're not sure if it's a good spot. Open the customer app, put in current location as the delivery address. Add a filter for minimum delivery fee. See what restaurants are nearby. Look for an "anchor" restaurant, something popular that you know gets a lot of orders. Olive Garden, TGI Friday's, Hooters, or some local place that's so popular even your poor ass knows it. Lol. Go sit in that Olive Garden parking lot and see what comes in. And open the customer app again, putting in current location, and see again what's nearby.

One Olive Garden order is worth 2 or 3 McDonald's orders. I love seeing a monster Olive Garden order that I know will be 2 big bags of food. Someone who just spent $150 on Olive Garden is more likely to tip, and Olive Gardens aren't on every corner so it's a good likelihood of a long delivery. And I get better tips from Olive Garden orders (usually working class or middle class folks) than from $150 sushi orders to country club villas.

But if I'm understanding this maximum drive length thing correctly, you REALLY want restaurant to customer to be short and in 2.2x.

I make out better with the long ones. But if you can get 2.2x that's really great. I've never seen anything remotely that high.

Some people prefer short runs, but I prefer long ones. I feel like I still get the same number of deliveries whether I'm doing short or long, and the long ones pay more. The problem with long ones is that you might end up someplace you don't know how to work. That becomes less of an issue over time. So maybe look for short ones at first (take fast food orders) while you're learning.

But it didn't matter, I hit driving maximum like 30 mins afterward while I was getting back to back orders. Why am I maximized based on actual time in an order and not time online? If it's for safety, just how is that safe for anyone? It took nearly 22 hours for me to do 12 hours and get blocked out. Not sure I understand the point to the maximum.

It's a legal requirement. Same thing for any commercial driving. How Uber measures it might not be the best; I've never hit it so I'm not sure. I honestly thought it was online time. But they don't have a choice, it's the law.

So they're incentivizing people to work the entire city? Or are there not enough drivers for the area and it's a way to push drivers to drive around to pick up trips? It's so slow, they just want someone in the city active? Y'all say areas, but it's the entire city for me, I found out. Any trip i take anywhere, at anytime is boosted. Got confused, area/s, city lights up, what areas? The whole area? Is there supposed to a smaller area? If so, I don't see a small area. I just see an entire city.

A boost means they want drivers working that area, for whatever reason. You're supposed to think it means it's busy and you'll get lots of orders, but that's not necessarily true. It could be that they think it will be so dead that no one will work, but they need SOMEONE working for the few orders that do come in.

A citywide boost just means they want more people working. They feel like they don't have enough drivers out. That will go away once enough people sign up, so enjoy it while it lasts. But again, it may not mean they have so many orders that they are desperate for drivers. It could also mean they have so few orders that they know drivers will go do something else, so they're hoping at least a few will stay for the boost.

dlearl476

I'm starting to notice something interesting: When I decide to drive my 19 mpg SUV, I've tried a system I call "park and wait." No driving back to a hotspot. I drop off, I find a convenient spot if I'm in a residential district, or simply shut it down if I'm in a business or apt complex, and surf the Internet until the next ping comes in. Saves gas, saves empty miles, saves frustration. And I honestly don't think I get any less offers than I do when I'm chasing hot spots. What's more, when the drop off is close to the boost zone limits, it seems like it almost doubles the amount of $5< guarantees I get, which I'm convinced are based on distance to the pick-up. Many times I get offers from my normal hot spots, but because I'm so far away it has a guarantee, where it wouldn't had I driven back to the hot spot.

dlearl476

The boost area is outlined by a blue line. Where the blue oval with the “1.X Boost” is doesn’t mean anything, it will generally stay centered in the boost zone. As you zoom on, you can see the exact boundaries of the boost zone And it’s indicative of where the restaurant is. If you pick up in the boost zone, but deliver it outside of it you get the boost, conversely, if you pick up outside the zone but drop off inside it, you don’t.
37678A2A-D326-4381-8D21-FBEE91B911E4.png