1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Underage riders disaster

Discussion in 'Complaints' started by dens, Aug 28, 2018.

1. dens

dens

Driving:
    UberX
    Since the last couple of weeks, I'm getting a lot of ride requests from underage riders. Last week I had to cancel 31 underage rides attempts. I lose a lot of time and money due to dead miles to pick them up. Is Uber is going to do anything about it like ability to report the underage riders from App and reimburse for my time and dead pickup miles?

Last week:
    31 underage pickup rides at ~2.5 miles per pickup = 77.5 dead miles.
    31 underage pickup rides at average ~4min per pickup = 124 minutes.

Weekly total:
    77.5 dead miles.
    2 hours time loss.

2. Baitclick

You said "disaster". Did someone die? 8 year old vomit in your car? Sippy cup spilled orange juice on your cloth seats? 16 year old accuse you of touching? Where is the disaster? I feel robbed of my quality UP reading time.

3. autofill

autofill

Driving:
    UberX
    How much you made on those cancel?

4. Wh4tev3r!!!!

Wh4tev3r!!!!

31 x $3.71 cancelation fee = $115.01 - not bad for no miles on your car

ratethis, Rakos, HotUberMess and 7 others like this.
  5. Lissetti

Lissetti Moderator Author

Driving:
    UberX
    I was thinking Chris Hanson walked out with camera crew and a plate of cookies to greet him.

Screenshot_20180828-104637~2.jpg

Screenshot_20180828-104648~2.jpg

6. autofill

autofill

Driving:
    UberX
    Not bad but don’t you have to wait out 5 minutes or can you cancel right away to earn cancel fee?

7. MHR

MHR Moderator

I'm waiting for the post that says they didn't know they could get a cancellation fee. o_O

8. Wh4tev3r!!!!

Wh4tev3r!!!!

And why wouldn't you wait for the 5 minutes? Cancel any sooner and you don't get paid.

rideshare_driver_roc likes this.
  9. autofill

autofill

Driving:
    UberX
    That’s why I asked cause if OP has to wait 5 minutes then he’ll have to add extra 155 minutes (5 x 31 cancels) towards his loss time.

MHR likes this.
  10. You can drive 2.5 mile surface street (Don't tell me the kid lives on the freeway) in 4 minutes? What city is this?

11. autofill

autofill

Driving:
    UberX
    OP just using Lyft’s method for estimating pickup time. We all know to add extra 2-3 minutes.

Uber's Guber likes this.
  12. theLaw

theLaw

Not sure why Uber/Lyft would want the liability associated with minors. This is potentially horrible press on top of a pretty blatant refusal to follow the law.

Pusher likes this.
  13. 2.5 miles is more like a 10 minute pick up in LA with night time traffic (15 min during rush hours), The only 4 minute pick up is within 0.8 miles.

14. Kinda impressed... 31 pickups is closer to 20 hours for me. I think your low balling your numbers a lot.

But sheesh... that's ridiculous. I'd take that (and some supporting documentation) to the local news. Very ridiculous.

Pusher, HotUberMess, MoreTips and 3 others like this.
  15. SEAL Team 5

SEAL Team 5

Driving:
    Livery
    Then stop driving during "go to school time and get out of school time." Easy

16. njn

njn

Careful, these affect your overall cancellation percentage. Too many lead to deactivation.

Benjamin M likes this.
  17. MHR

MHR Moderator

I would fight that all the way to the Supremes if I was deactivated for doing what we have been told to do (not take minors).

18. Lissetti

Lissetti Moderator Author

Driving:
    UberX
    Seriously I don't understand how parents are suddenly ok with telling their kids it's now ok to get in cars with strangers. I grew up with "Stranger Danger." What the Ted Bundy is going on here???

19. Kodyhead

Kodyhead

Driving:
    UberSUV
    But what if the parents are willing to consent and to sign documents allowing it? In most markets it isn't illegal just uber and Lyft rules.

UBERPROcolorado and Benjamin M like this.
  20. MHR

MHR Moderator

If they (the parents) have signed documents ON FILE with Uber or Lyft and made a contractual agreement with U or L and we were told by U and L that we COULD take them, then yes, I would drive them.

As of now, I have been told in my market that at least one rider must be 18 years old.

From time to time I have a bit of a problem with this ( not under the age of 18 thing) In my state kids can work as young as 15. If said minor is going to work, why can't I take them?