Underage rider cancel tips

JDE100

Had my first two obviously underage riders today. Told them bothi couldn't take them. One was cool and cancelled trip. Second didn't want to cancel trip because he would have to pay cancel fee. I told him he would need to take that up with Uber. He finally cancelled but definitely upset.

How to handle someone who refuses to cancel?

Cableguynoe

Had my first two obviously underage riders today. Told them bothi couldn't take them. One was cool and cancelled trip. Second didn't want to cancel trip because he would have to pay cancel fee. I told him he would need to take that up with Uber. He finally cancelled but definitely upset.

How to handle someone who refuses to cancel?
You can't make them.
You can try to wait them out, but it's easy enough for them to request a Lyft or have a friend request a ride, in which case you'll be forced to cancel.

But you handled that well I think

ShinyAndChrome

I think drive off laughing and if in ten min he doesn't cancel just cancel yourself and tell uber you want the $5 fee.

DocT

Main thing is to contact Uber immediately after the cancel about the unaccompanied minor ride request. You need to get that filed in your favor, and screen shot Uber's reply (and save that email). Be sure to request an unpairing with the minor's account too.

Ezridax

I went to the high school here yesterday and this chick was obviously a student. I asked how old she was, "almost 18." I tell her that by law I can't take her. She's like, but this is a high school. Yeah? You're still underage. She canceled real quick so she'd be within the time limit for her to cancel, but I called Lyft and told them. They charged her the fee and are investigating her account.

Wait your 5 minutes and then cancel as fraudulent rider. Submit a report to Uber.
I'm pushing Uber for cancellation reasons "minor unaccompanied by account holder" and "rider did not produce proof of age over 18". This past weekend I had a 12 year old get in my car alone while on the phone with his dad. I asked the kid how old he was. He said "12". I said, "sorry you have to be 18, can't take you". He told his dad and his dad told him to tell me the minimum age was 12. I grinned, told the kid his dad was wrong and that he needed to get out of the car. Poor kid ... ignorant or stupid deceitful lying parents. No wonder there are so many F'd up problem kids today, their parents are idiots!!

I cancelled the trip with reason "other", got paid $0, sent a message to support giving the proper cancellation reason and they promptly paid me the cancellation. If more drivers did the same thing, maybe Uber will add a proper cancellation reason so we don't have to circumvent the system to get paid.

Skorpio

The only way to fix it..
Uber need to step up and do their job..
Give more information to riders about minors..
Have a button to report minors..
Then Uber will ask for ID and live photo..
Same thing they do to us when we launch the app and ask for identification.

Pawtism

The answers were already in the other posts, but just to summarize. If they won't cancel themselves, wait the 5 minutes (you can pull up a bit, but you don't want to go far enough to have it read you not at the location anymore.. it gives you a little leeway). During that 5 minutes, be typing up your report (in Evernote, or note app, or an email, whatever). At the 5 minute mark, you can cancel, no show (not a legitimate rider) and include the report info you typed up. As Doc said, you can ask for unpairing as well. This way you'll get your cancel fee pretty much automatically (beats having to have the emails fight with uber before you get it). And because you typed it up ahead of time, you're not wasting more time after the 5 minutes typing out the report, just on to the next ping. :smiles:

During that 5 minutes, be typing up your report (in Evernote, or note app, or an email, whatever). At the 5 minute mark, you can cancel, no show (not a legitimate rider) and include the report info you typed up. :smiles:
How do you include a "report" with your cancellation reason? I don't recall seeing this option in the cancellation reason screen ...

negeorgia

I'm pushing Uber for cancellation reasons "minor unaccompanied by account holder" and "rider did not produce proof of age over 18". This past weekend I had a 12 year old get in my car alone while on the phone with his dad. I asked the kid how old he was. He said "12". I said, "sorry you have to be 18, can't take you". He told his dad and his dad told him to tell me the minimum age was 12. I grinned, told the kid his dad was wrong and that he needed to get out of the car. Poor kid ... ignorant or stupid deceitful lying parents. No wonder there are so many F'd up problem kids today, their parents are idiots!!

I cancelled the trip with reason "other", got paid $0, sent a message to support giving the proper cancellation reason and they promptly paid me the cancellation. If more drivers did the same thing, maybe Uber will add a proper cancellation reason so we don't have to circumvent the system to get paid.
I have noticed the 'fraudulent rider' reason has been removed. Wait your 5 minutes will get a paid cancel fee without a report. I do report them, also.

How do you include a "report" with your cancellation reason? I don't recall seeing this option in the cancellation reason screen ...
Go back to trip history after you wait 5 minutes and get a cancel fee. Press help, issue with rider, made me feel unsafe. Explain why you had to cancel.... No car seat, unaccompanied minor...

Ron Jeremy Sez

Is it okay to drive away and then cancel? Seems like a bad idea to sit there and wait 5 minutes when the rider is ticked off.

You have to be careful driving off while using the Lyft app...it sees any major movement as the ride starting and will automatically start the ride. Then if you cancel you get nothing and it hits your cancellation rate. Lyft is hard on cancellations and will deactivate you