1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Underage - Cancel Fee Paid!

Discussion in 'Stories' started by Mikek999, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Mikek999

Mikek999 Active Member

So I got a request this morning to drive an under age passenger Unaccompanied to a high school. When the passenger first got into the car I was unsure whether or not she was underage however once I excepted the ride I noticed that the destination was to a school I asked her if she was 18 or older older and she informed me she was only 17. I let her know that I could not give her a ride, explained the Uber TOS, and Requested her to exit the vehicle. I then canceled the ride in progress giving the reason other. I immediately sent a fare dispute requesting cancellation fee because of a fraudulent ride request, fully explaining the details of the situation. 15 minutes later and my fare was adjusted and was paid a cancellation fee. I was quite shocked that Uber actually did the right thing for a change...

Yulli Yung, ea30, circle1 and 4 others like this.
  2. RamzFanz

RamzFanz Well-Known Member

You aren't restricted from driving minors by the Uber TOS unless it's illegal in your market.

Rakos and Heraldo like this.
  3. SuzeCB

SuzeCB Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Not true...
    Screenshot_20180113-012728.jpg

Mikek999, Merc7186 and Mista T like this.
  4. Merc7186

Merc7186 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberXL
    It's illegal everywhere, not to mention you are opening yourself up to all sorts of other garbage by taking an unaccompanied minor.

Bpr2, Mikek999 and Cableguynoe like this.
  5. Ribak

Ribak Well-Known Member

Great job on collecting the fee. Provide the ride and get paid more.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018 at 10:52 AM
    Julescase and Mikek999 like this.

6. SuzeCB

SuzeCB Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    It's not illegal everywhere. Perfectly legal in NJ. It's just a violation of Uber and Lyft's rules, not so much because they don't WANT you to take them, but because THEY don't want to be on the hook for any problems that may arise.

7. Grand Master B

Grand Master B Well-Known Member

so you spent 15 mins to collect $3.75? if they look 18ish, just take them.

8. Mikek999

Mikek999 Active Member

No it took me only two minutes to put in a request. Uber responded in 15 minutes during which time I was giving other rides.

9. Ron Jeremy Sez

Ron Jeremy Sez Member

Wait until you try that with LYFT...you will get the nasty nasty that multiple cancellations put your driver status " in jeopardy". I dont know what that means but I'm pretty sure they kill your whole family

MadePenniesToday and Merc7186 like this.
  10. JimKE

JimKE Well-Known Member

I actually got a cancellation fee from Lyft just this week for exactly that. The young man was 14 and had his own Lyft account. I canceled and reported it to Lyft as a fraudulent account, and without asking they gave me a $5 cancellation fee.

Which, incidentally, raised my Lyft total so far this week to almost $10!

Chefbumbum and Mikek999 like this.
  11. RamzFanz

That's not the TOS and it does not say you can't carry minors.

12. SuzeCB

SuzeCB Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Okay. You keep telling yourself that.

Ziggy likes this.
  13. JTTwentySeven

JTTwentySeven Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    I'm still not driving minors even if you can do it in Jersey. Nope. Nada. Leave the kids at the curb. I can't stand kids at it is. Give me the drunk pax over kids.

14. wb6vpm

wb6vpm Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Looks like banned to me, with the legal exception where age of majority is different (and even that seems to be not a legal loophole due to the User Requirements section.

15. Elmo Burrito

Elmo Burrito Well-Known Member

Ok, so picking up unaccompanied minors may not be illegal everywhere but there's still the looming question of whether or not, you as the driver, will be covered by your own gap insurance policy. That's a big problem.

16. Julescase

Julescase Well-Known Member

I've spent hours emailing Uber repeatedly (in between doing all the other things that my day entailed) in order to collect cancellation fees or other funds that should be paid to me. I don't care if it's $3.75 or $20, if Uber owes me money that is rightfully mine, I'll become a pit bull in order to get it (nothing against pit bulls - I had a pit mix who was perfection in a dog, they are amazing and smart, sweet pups!)

There's no way I'm letting Uber keep money I earned. No way in hell.

17. SuzeCB

SuzeCB Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    I didn't say you should. :cool:

JTTwentySeven likes this.
  18. RamzFanz

I will, because it's a fact.

That's the user TOS, not the driver's. We are not responsible for enforcing the user's TOS, or even knowing what it says.

Insurance is a good question IF they have restrictions for minors. I doubt it in markets where it's legal. Uber covers you anyways.

Your big problem is $1,000 for a deductible. Not small, a week's worth of work, but not really big either.

19. semi-retired

semi-retired Active Member

If it is legal for drivers to pick up minors, then why is Uber testing a "Teen Rider Program"? I mean if it was legal or EVEN JUST agreeable under TOS, then why would they need to do this?

https://www.geekwire.com/2017/uber-...en-rider-program-call-additional-protections/

And the program does not seem to be rolled out completely if it was finalized.

20. Grand

Grand Moderator Moderator

Driving:
    UberX
    In your reply above I assume you followed through to the embedded Uber link...
    For now, the teen accounts program will be closed as we consider how to best serve the needs of families. Minors should no longer be riding unaccompanied. If you suspect a minor is using Uber, please let us know through your app and our team will investigate.’

Ziggy and DocT like this.