Unaccompanied minors

father of unicorns

Uber needs to institute an automatic $5 fee when we have to cancel for unaccompanied minors. I am fed up pulling up to a house in the A.M. to find it's some kid whose parents are too lazy to drive to the school. Take your own DAMN kids to school.
When I was in Vegas, I would call them/or send a message and would usually get compensated. Try it.

kingcorey321

Uber pro tip. After you drive 2 minutes towards the destination school .. Call the pax . ask Pax is passenger 18 ?
Tell them you cant pick up the pax with out a parent ! You check ids Tell pax its quicker if they cancel to get a new driver to them.
Sometimes they will cancel you collect your fee . If the say blank you typical just show up wait in a bad spot with lyft call and just hand up no need to talk to them wait the 5 click zero car seat collect your bonus

JaxUberLyft

Another Uber pro tip: Use the safety hotline (separate number for Uber, option at main number for Lyft) to report pax attempts.

UberBeemer

Why go through all the trouble? Just drive the kid and take the parents money. There's no more risk of liability than any other passenger. If Uber or Lyft doesn't enforce their own policy, why should you worry about it?

OldUncleDave

Why go through all the trouble? Just drive the kid and take the parents money. There's no more risk of liability than any other passenger. If Uber or Lyft doesn't enforce their own policy, why should you worry about it?
This has been discussed on this board forever. Here it is...

State Law. YOU, the driver, are legally responsible for knowing and obeying ALL laws in your jurisdiction. If Law requires a Car Seat, there must be a car seat. If Law says no Unaccompanied Minors, then decline the ride.

Second, legal responsibility. In case of emergency, informed consent must be given by parent or legal guardian before Medical treatment can be given. In case of a traffic accident, time is wasted to get permission. Speaking of responsibility, UBER TOS says don't take UM, so their insurance won't pay. And you are deactivated for having UM in car. And your insurance cancels policy.

Third is the big one.... "Mommy, that man touched me!" Think years of trial and attorney fees, bankruptcy , to prove you're innocent.

UberBeemer

If Law says no Unaccompanied Minors, then decline the ride.
I haven't found a law yet that forbids minors from riding. And the implied consent factor is moot, if a parent arranges a ride. The ckosest i have seen are regulations that address services who's primary function is transporting minors. As for liability, your exposure is the same. If you have a dashcamera, you should never have a problem with unfounded accusations. And if you are a safe driver, your only worry is some other idiot on the road causing an accident. This is not as bad as you might think, from an exposure standpoint, because if someone hit you, it is their liability.

As for Uber and Lyft, they aren't enforcing their own policies. They're attempting to hide behind the drivers. I've asked on this board if anyone has ever been deactivated or disciplined for taking a ride and reporting it. So far, nothing.

As i have said, take them or don't. But the worries stirred up here are exaggerated.

Taxi2Uber

I haven't found a law yet that forbids minors from riding. And the implied consent factor is moot, if a parent arranges a ride. The ckosest i have seen are regulations that address services who's primary function is transporting minors. As for liability, your exposure is the same. If you have a dashcamera, you should never have a problem with unfounded accusations. And if you are a safe driver, your only worry is some other idiot on the road causing an accident. This is not as bad as you might think, from an exposure standpoint, because if someone hit you, it is their liability.

As for Uber and Lyft, they aren't enforcing their own policies. They're attempting to hide behind the drivers. I've asked on this board if anyone has ever been deactivated or disciplined for taking a ride and reporting it. So far, nothing.

As i have said, take them or don't. But the worries stirred up here are exaggerated.
So who is the violator?
The rider/account holder for not following Uber policy, or the driver for knowingly taking the minor, or Uber, or all of the above?
In the event of an accident, is it clear that Uber's insurance will cover the rider, despite policy not be followed?
If the other driver's fault, is it clear their insurance will pay, if they learn policy was not followed?
You sort of downplayed, "because if someone hit you, it is their liability."
Uninsured motorists run rampart here. Now it's your insurance, or Uber's.
Are there clear and definitive answers?
I can handle getting a ticket, if it's illegal, which I'm confident it's not.
It's the Big stuff, like insurance and liability that are the Big questions.

UberBeemer

First, uber's rider covers them. Second, you assume worst case scenarios. Policy or not, if someone dies, you're going to need a lawyer. If there are injuries, you're going to need a lawyer. It does not matter the age of the passenger. Laws aren't written to be more punative based on age. If you get into an accident, most likely, its going to be a property claim. Damage to one car or the other. Not some epic tragedy followed by a million dollar lawsuit.

Coachman

This has been discussed on this board forever. Here it is...

State Law. YOU, the driver, are legally responsible for knowing and obeying ALL laws in your jurisdiction. If Law requires a Car Seat, there must be a car seat. If Law says no Unaccompanied Minors, then decline the ride.

Second, legal responsibility. In case of emergency, informed consent must be given by parent or legal guardian before Medical treatment can be given. In case of a traffic accident, time is wasted to get permission. Speaking of responsibility, UBER TOS says don't take UM, so their insurance won't pay. And you are deactivated for having UM in car. And your insurance cancels policy.

Third is the big one.... "Mommy, that man touched me!" Think years of trial and attorney fees, bankruptcy , to prove you're innocent.
The same old lame arguments.

You're going to be accused of being a child molester. Give me a break. Does anybody really fall for that?

And the insurance argument as been debunked. You can give that up too.

OldUncleDave

The same old lame arguments.

You're going to be accused of being a child molester. Give me a break. Does anybody really fall for that?

And the insurance argument as been debunked. You can give that up too.
Ok, fine. There is absolutely NO RISK in taking UM in a rideshare vehicle. So, to ahead, violate the ToS, take those rugrats to Chuckie Cheese and the movies.

UberBeemer

Everyone has to make up their own mind on this. It would help if we all stop exaggerating for or against. There's no more statistical risk driving a teen than an adult. There isn't really a greater legal liability. If you cancel these, fine. If you take these, just drive safe and make them belt up.

Coachman

Ok, fine. There is absolutely NO RISK in taking UM in a rideshare vehicle. So, to ahead, violate the ToS, take those rugrats to Chuckie Cheese and the movies.
There is a risk in every ride you take. But there isn't any evidence that taking a UM is a higher risk than any other passenger. There's a lot of speculation, but no evidence.

SHalester

UM is a higher risk than any other passenger.
well, except for the fact it is a clear violation of the TOS when you 'knowingly' take a minor. AT least with Uber or Lyft.
I take minors every day. AT one end is a 16yrd old, at the other is a 7yr old. They both talk about the same; very little. 16yr old pops his buds in and that is that for the next hour. The 7yr sings to herself and really only lights up when she sees her mom.

Coachman

well, except for the fact it is a clear violation of the TOS when you 'knowingly' take a minor..
I've been on this board for 4.5 years and I've never seen a post by anyone saying they had trouble due to taking a UM. Not once. It seems to be a problem in theory only.

Last edited:

UberBeemer

I have taken minors to school then called support to report the issue. They asked what i did, i told them i felt concerned for the child and decided ty o drive them, rather than leave them in the rain. Their reply was to thank me for being a highly rated partner, and seeing to the safety of the child.

You would think, if the policy were anything more than window dressing, they might have at least reminded me it was against the TOS.

Coachman

Yeah, I’ve seen u post it many times. However, the fact it is a violation is a fact, not theory. And Uber could fix it, they chose not to. Debate on reason.
It's a violation that has no teeth. If you're a stickler for the rules, by all means do your ID checks and don't take UMs.