• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Unaccompanied minors

shmiff

I arrived at the pick-up location to find a schoolboy wearing shorts and slurping on a milkshake. He jumped into the back seat. I turned around and asked, "How old are you?" He replied, "Seventeen." I spent the next few minutes explaining that Uber drivers are not currently allowed to carry unaccompanied minors. He said that he had been using the Uber Riders' app for a long time. I asked him how he had managed to register an account, with a payment method, but he chose not to respond. Eventually he got out of my car and I cancelled the trip as a No Show, but stupidly I cancelled before the five minute cancellation time had elapsed.

I don't mind losing the cancellation fee on this occasion; next time I'll make sure that I don't cancel until the No Show period is over. Is there a way to have these riders removed from the system? Is there a way to change Uber's policy regarding the carriage of unaccompanied minors? Accredited Uber drivers have passed the same child screening checks as taxi drivers. What was the point of the DCSI check?

shmiff

Ben Hall

What was the point of the DCSI check?
The State Government requires you to have the DSCI check in order to obtain the necessary accreditation to drive for a passenger service, Uber have their own rules.

One of their rules is not to transport unaccompanied minors.

Also Whilst a taxi driver accreditation requires DCSI clearance, it is not the same as the driver accreditation required for rideshare. Taxis have far more regulations than rideshare providers

shmiff

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The State Government requires you to have the DSCI check in order to obtain the necessary accreditation to drive for a passenger service, Uber have their own rules.

One of their rules is not to transport unaccompanied minors.

Also Whilst a taxi driver accreditation requires DCSI clearance, it is not the same as the driver accreditation required for rideshare. Taxis have far more regulations than rideshare providers
Thank you Ben Hall. You're the regulation-obsessed guy who perfectly illustrated the blinkered thinking about public transportation in a previous thread? No offence, but I'm more interested in the opinions of open-minded, less restricted, forward-thinkers. I want what is best for the people of Adelaide, regardless of personal rewards.

shmiff

Immoralized

Uber doesn't want wall to wall media coverage of pedobears working for uber and taking advantage of kids. When they have a zero tolerance policy in place and if it "ever happens" they can legally claim that they basically took every precaution to prevent this from happening.

While on the other hand FFA "free for all" system in place where young children with drivers out their Uber doesn't have full confidence that the drivers will act in a professional manner. It all to do with risk management... They hire dozen of lawyers just doing risk management.

In Perth for example we follow the same regulation as taxi for 95% of the things taxi do. Except for the difference of not been able to use taxi ranks, bus stops and touting for fares. Uber set their own policy though in their T&C.

Last edited:

Ben Hall

Thank you Ben Hall. You're the regulation-obsessed guy who perfectly illustrated the blinkered thinking about public transportation in a previous thread? No offence, but I'm more interested in the opinions of open-minded, less restricted, forward-thinkers. I want what is best for the people of Adelaide, regardless of personal rewards.

shmiff

shmiff
You do not evenunderstand what public transport is. If you were a provider of public transport you would not be permited to refuse transport to a minor.
Your biggest problem is you are only interested in opinion not facts. If you wanted the best for the people of South Australia you would providing a safe form of public transport but instead you do rideshare.

shmiff

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
You do not evenunderstand what public transport is. If you were a provider of public transport you would not be permited to refuse transport to a minor.
Your biggest problem is you are only interested in opinion not facts. If you wanted the best for the people of South Australia you would providing a safe form of public transport but instead you do rideshare.
QED.

Immoralized

Thats what I like about you. You see things for what they are and work with them. You dont believe in a world of rainbows unicorns and fluffy white rabbits.
Security and risk management background, along with formal training and experience helps :cool: The richer you are the bigger the targets on ur back basically. The whole world got a very small tolerance of seeing children in such lights and would sink Uber.

You see it in the #metoo campaigns going on right now everyone coming out of the woodworks to take down successful men/woman.

prk

Is there a way to have these riders removed from the system? Is there a way to change Uber's policy regarding the carriage of unaccompanied minors? Accredited Uber drivers have passed the same child screening checks as taxi drivers. What was the point of the DCSI check?
ermm, thats something you need to take up with Uber, no point asking anybody else.

No offence, but I'm more interested in the opinions of open-minded, less restricted, forward-thinkers. I want what is best for the people of Adelaide,
again, something to take up with the Uber hub.

ghs

How are you ghs , havent seen you for a while

I am fine. I am doing some other work at the moment at the festivals, will probably start driving again in April.

One question I have for the forum is 'How do we define Rank ? '

Uber have that pickup zone on East Terrace for the festivals. I saw an Uber car there and it looked like he was sitting
there waiting for a job to come through on the Uber app. I am pretty sure that constitutes a 'Rank'. Aren't taxis
meant to be the only ones using ranks ?

prk

Uber have that pickup zone on East Terrace for the festivals. I saw an Uber car there and it looked like he was sitting
there waiting for a job to come through on the Uber app. I am pretty sure that constitutes a 'Rank'. Aren't taxis
meant to be the only ones using ranks ?
Yep:rolleyes: