Unaccompanied minor

Dropking

Totally agree. The gall of parents thinking they can send their minor child to school with a stranger. The parents are breaking the law, and the terms of service, but Lyft and Uber look the other way with a wink. Most drivers complete these trips, or so I've learned from the 12 and 14 year old boys I've refused to pick up. You get dinged with a driver cancellation and no cancel fee. The fact that these rides are occurring en masse every single school day is a scandal that a bright newspaper report ought to pick up and publish.

Same with the toddlers missing car seats. There should be a "breaking terms of service" button that enables drivers to recoup their cancellation fee without penalty, and stop Lyft and Uber from willfully enabling illegal behavior that imperils their drivers.

PickEmUp

Totally agree. The gall of parents thinking they can send their minor child to school with a stranger. The parents are breaking the law, and the terms of service, but Lyft and Uber look the other way with a wink. Most drivers complete these trips, or so I've learned from the 12 and 14 year old boys I've refused to pick up. You get dinged with a driver cancellation and no cancel fee. The fact that these rides are occurring en masse every single school day is a scandal that a bright newspaper report ought to pick up and publish.

Same with the toddlers missing car seats. There should be a "breaking terms of service" button that enables drivers to recoup their cancellation fee without penalty, and stop Lyft and Uber from willfully enabling illegal behavior that imperils their drivers.

Wait five minutes. Call the Pax. Cancel and collect your cancel fee. No legal pax is a no show.

Last edited:

Dropking

Wait five minutes. Call the Paz. Cancel and collect your cancel fee. No legal pax is a no show.

Yeah sometimes that is fine, but not always. These rides are often at peak am earning time so moving on may be the more lucrative option. I actually hate school trips as they are usually short-miles high-minutes rides in congested areas, meaning poor pay. Always glad NOT to do one.

The mom may cancel herself before five minutes and then I've wasted 5 minutes during peak hours while getting a death stare by an annoying teenager and his annoying friends who may decide to do something stupid to my car. Worse, the mom may decide to come out of her house after 4 minutes and jump in and then I'll have to take mom & kid on a roundabout 2-stop journey, 30 minutes 4 miles during rush hour, and I'll get a 1-star rating for $8 bucks.

Mista T

Author
Legally if a parent gives permission to transport their child, its acceptable. By ordering a ride, they obviously give permission.

The legal problems come from setting up an acct in juniors name, under 18 cannot accept a contract and therefore it's not a valid ride.

PickEmUp

Legally if a parent gives permission to transport their child, its acceptable. By ordering a ride, they obviously give permission.

The legal problems come from setting up an acct in juniors name, under 18 cannot accept a contract and therefore it's not a valid ride.

And just how are we expected to know whether or not the child has parental permission. Uber and Lyft policies explicitly prohibit unaccompanied minors.

Mista T

Author
That, my friend, is a challenge.

If a kid says "the name is Sharon, that's my mom" then I take the ride.

But since most kids and teens have their cell phones glued to their hands, and people like to keep the app open while riding, I can usually tell if it's on their phone, which seems like a violation.

Tough to judge sometimes.

Dropking

Neither Lyft or Uber's own terms allow transportation of an unaccompanied minor (at least in California).

Regardless, what idiot driver would actually want to be alone with a minor? Gawd help you against false accusations.

Cynergie

schools in.

We need a "cancel due to unaccompanied minor" button added to the app.

WTF with all the minors using the app or having parents schedule rides for them.

California law requires riders be 18 and up, or be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
This is what I absoultely hated when I was driving Lyft because Lyft is the worse of the two when it comes to these pax. It's that wonderful gray area in which pax is clearly under aged (a child) but ride was paid for by legal adult (parent) who wants you to drive them to school, after school activities etc. Refusing will 99% result in a 1 star rating, pissed off pax, and most likely a nasty passive aggressive bot message from LyfUber. Refusing such riders (especially the barely legal ones who you can't ask their age but who look 18+ and are really minors) is almost equivalent to refusing a pax service animal. Regardless, LyfUber leaves you to sort out the potential bad PR carnage. And will likely deactivate you while investigating any PR incidents that arise from it. You're damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Hell, I'd swear CS would flag your account if it weren't written in black and white on the pax exclusion list.

john2g1

Sure legally... However according to the Uber/Lyft ToS you can not which means if anything happens you are not covered by your Uber/Lyft insurance policy.

So unless you personally have commercial insurance or your personal insurance is up to $1,000,000 and includes rideshare coverage for all different liability types you are not abiding by to the rideshare/vehicle for hire/livery/taxi laws in almost every state.

Oh wait... not abiding by a law means that you are doing something illegal.

upload_2017-9-10_23-12-13.jpeg

Last edited:

Cynergie

Neither Lyft or Uber's own terms allow transportation of an unaccompanied minor (at least in California).

Regardless, what idiot driver would actually want to be alone with a minor? Gawd help you against false accusations.
It's not that difficult really. Any elementary or secondary school child whose parent wants you to take them to school is one perfect example. I've been bullied by Uber (and formerly Lyft) into doing these in the past. Did 6 of these questionable rides driving Uber to date. All during height of rush hour in SF when parents and kids have to get to work/school.

• 3/6 cases parent got in and departed before minor reached their school destination point
  • 2/6 cases parent called Uber to transport their elementary school children to a school that was located over 35 mins away and parents lacked a vehicle
  • 1/6 cases CHILD called Uber using their barely legal looking child's Uber profile.

This last pax was a high school senior? junior? who looked older in Uber profile with make up. But was clearly more of a minor without it. Child became upset and defensive when I asked parent to confirm child's Uber profile with a legal id/driver's license. Child insisted they've never had any issues calling Uber to take themselves and parent to school/work. Child pointed out that my ride was the first time a driver was disrespectful to them.

It also became increasingly clear during trip that parent did not speak English and also appeared to be an illegal migrant. Parent got off before child's stop. Some 15 mins later, I dropped off this child at their school destination. Immediately pulled over and wrote up both pax as fraudulent riders.

The 1 star ratings on both our ends was mutual. Uber CS has yet to get around to removing this pax unfair rating. Doubtful if Uber even bothered to do anything about them to date.

john2g1

On a side note and follow up to my post can UberBLACK or UberSUV drivers take minors?

Can a BLACK car answer or can someone post something verifiable?

PickEmUp

This is what I absoultely hated when I was driving Lyft because Lyft is the worse of the two when it comes to these pax. It's that wonderful gray area in which pax is clearly under aged (a child) but ride was paid for by legal adult (parent) who wants you to drive them to school, after school activities etc. Refusing will 99% result in a 1 star rating, pissed off pax, and most likely a nasty passive aggressive bot message from LyfUber. Refusing such riders (especially the barely legal ones who you can't ask their age but who look 18+ and are really minors) is almost equivalent to refusing a pax service animal. Regardless, LyfUber leaves you to sort out the potential bad PR carnage. And will likely deactivate you while investigating any PR incidents that arise from it. You're damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Hell, I'd swear CS would flag your account if it weren't written in black and white on the pax exclusion list.

A pax cannot rate you unless their ride is completed. If you cancel as a no show they cannot rate you. Before you cancel, do a screen capture and take a photo of the intended pax. That is all the evidence you need. I also run my video camera with audio to capture the exchange.

Cynergie

That's good to know. But even if you cancel/no show, pax will 100% complain to Lyft CS. Which will then send you a nasty passive aggressive email template. Which is a polite reminder informing you that while they sympathize with your fraudulent rider case, you've been officially blacklisted.

That's one of the top reasons why I quit working for the Better Boyfriend aka American Closet Psycho.

DrivingForYou

No this is illegal in California under the CPUC. No one under 18 can ride unaccompanied in Lyft or Uber.

It's that wonderful gray area in which pax is clearly under aged (a child) but ride was paid for by legal adult (parent) who wants you to drive them to school, after school activities etc. Refusing will 99% result in a 1 star rating, pissed off pax, and most likely a nasty passive aggressive bot message from LyfUber. Refusing such riders (especially the barely legal ones who you can't ask their age but who look 18+ and are really minors) is almost equivalent to refusing a pax service animal. Regardless, LyfUber leaves you to sort out the potential bad PR carnage. And will likely deactivate you while investigating any PR incidents that arise from it. .

First of all, no, there is no grey area. Unaccompanied under 18 is illegal in California, PERIOD.

Just like a liquor store or bar, you have the right to ask anyone young their age and for ID before they ride in your car.

Refusing will NOT get you a 1 star rating, and you will CANCEL, and then report them to support immediately.

Lyft will not give you a bot message assuming you properly report this to support.

This is in no way like refusing a service animal. Refusing a service animal is illegal. Refusing a minor is LEGAL, and taking the minor is ILLEGAL.

STOP TAKING UNACCOMPANIED MINORS. If you are taking them, then you as part of the problem.

I've been bullied by Uber (and formerly Lyft) into doing these in the past. Did 6 of these questionable rides driving Uber to date. All during height of rush hour in SF when parents and kids have to get to work/school.
  • 3/6 cases parent got in and departed before minor reached their school destination point
  • 2/6 cases parent called Uber to transport their elementary school children to a school that was located over 35 mins away and parents lacked a vehicle
  • 1/6 cases CHILD called Uber using their barely legal looking child's Uber profile..
How were you "bullied" into making illegal rides?

Here you admit you broke the law 6 times. How were you "bullied" into breaking the law.

It's YOUR car, and both uber and Lyft have clear polices in place.

DO NOT DRIVE UNACCOMPANIED MINORS, IF YOU DO YOU CAN BE TICKETED AND DEACTIVATED.

DO NOT DRIVE CHILDREN THAT ARE TOO SMALL WITHOUT A CHILD SEAT.

PERIOD.

New2This

Here you admit you broke the law 6 times. How were you "bullied" into breaking the law.

I don't do enough Lyft to comment but Uber does, maybe not 'bully' but will penalize you for not picking up unaccompanied minors or declining toddlers with no car seats.

Long story short, I have had numerous instances where I have pulled up, it's either too many riders, an obvious minor or parent witb toddler & no car seat, I cancelled and get no cancel fee. Going back and forth witb Rohit and the gang sometimes will get a cancel fee, sometimes won't.

I still won't pick those up, but I can imagine many drivers, having been burned before doing the right thing, will take them so they get something rather than nothing.

Does Lyft pay cancel fee for unaccompanied minors/no car seats/too many riders?

*before the armchair experts chime in, if I can I wait out the 5 minutes and cancel as no show but that doesn't always work.

Cynergie

No this is illegal in California under the CPUC. No one under 18 can ride unaccompanied in Lyft or Uber.

First of all, no, there is no grey area. Unaccompanied under 18 is illegal in California, PERIOD.

Just like a liquor store or bar, you have the right to ask anyone young their age and for ID before they ride in your car.

Refusing will NOT get you a 1 star rating, and you will CANCEL, and then report them to support immediately.

Lyft will not give you a bot message assuming you properly report this to support.

This is in no way like refusing a service animal. Refusing a service animal is illegal. Refusing a minor is LEGAL, and taking the minor is ILLEGAL.

STOP TAKING UNACCOMPANIED MINORS. If you are taking them, then you as part of the problem.

DO NOT DRIVE UNACCOMPANIED MINORS, IF YOU DO YOU CAN BE TICKETED AND DEACTIVATED.

DO NOT DRIVE CHILDREN THAT ARE TOO SMALL WITHOUT A CHILD SEAT.

PERIOD.
"bullied" = Zero CS feedback to repeated inquiries/reports and/or being flagged for high cancellation rate. Uber has apparently "forgotten" to give me closure on the last pax I took to date (the one with the non English speaking parent). This pax woman-child was borderline adult looking (with makeup like in her profile) and could've been legal adult as a high school senior. And if she were, I'd be still screwed since I cancelled on a legitimate pax.

It was hard to tell, and especially since neither pax would cooperate in providing legal id. The other ramification is a potential deactivation standby until Uber completes their "investigation" into the pax complaint of "discrimination" from the driver. Simply because the pax felt petty enough come up with a spitefully creative lie because I challenged their legal age during the ride.

Uber obviously doesn't care until an accident or law enforcement intervention at a traffic stop etc. causes them to review the pax account info. Regardless, it was clearly apparent that this particular pax had been using the Uber platform without any issues from other drivers. Her rating was very high (4.9 rank which was likely because she was an attractive female and rated so by other male drivers). Given this added factor, the problem is a potentially a wider spread one than you think.

Mista T

Author
I asked Lyft today about under 18 riders solo. Both Lyft local and corporate said it's against the law here.

So glad I checked, learned something important from this thread!

Thanks all who posted.