1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Unaccompanied minor - Uber support followed up

Discussion in 'Stories' started by FL_Dex, Dec 31, 2016.

1. FL_Dex

FL_Dex Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    So, last night I get taken off a call to a 4.93 rider to pick up a 4.52 because they're closer. I get there and the kid is 14. For those of you who may not know, unaccompanied minors are not covered under Uber's insurance and are not allowed by the ToC. It's confusing to pax because, in many places, kids older than 13 can ride in a cab without a supervising adult. As I have to remind pax, Uber is not a cab service (at least not yet).

I marked the cancellation fraudulent use and sent support a note. To my surprise I got a response today that they had taken action against the account holder. That may have been nothing more than a vaguely worded email but at least they followed up.

There are still too many drivers letting minors ride without an adult present. You are taking a huge personal liability risk doing so and making it harder on those of us who actually stick to the rules. If they look underage, ask! If they're not 18 cancel, drive away and report them.

2. JimKE

JimKE Well-Known Member

The "action" they took was probably an apology to the account holder for their driver leaving Little Precious stranded!

But that's not what is important here. What's important is that YOU did the right thing and protected yourself from liability.

Have a great night tonight in the Magic City.

Shangsta, negeorgia, Bean and 5 others like this.
  3. UberChicago80

UberChicago80 Active Member

This unidentified yoot probably just wanted to go home. You denied him this right.

Shame! Shame!

4. Grahamcracker

Grahamcracker Well-Known Member

He could call a cab. I would have done the same thing and covered my own a!@ because no one else would have. It's not like he let him die.

He just simply told him that he legally cannot transport him without an adult. Do you break every law pax ask you to break?

Last edited: Dec 31, 2016
    Shangsta likes this.
  5. elelegido

elelegido Well-Known Member

These can go either way. I refused service to a minor and immediately contacted Uber about the incident to let them know the rider was a minor fraudulently using Uber. The result was that they temporarily deactivated me over the incident.

I lost several hours' work while they "investigated". Apparently the kid had submitted a false claim against me in order to get his cancellaton fee refunded. I contacted Uber immediately after the incident specifically so they would have the correct version of events in case the kid false reported. But from the comments of the deactivating CSR, they didn't even look at my report.

So, yeah, this new rider behaviour policy of theirs, just more of the usual Uber bull****. Lip service only.

simpsonsverytall likes this.

6. ebrain

ebrain Active Member

Uber is pax oriented company. Drivers are never going to win against pax unless you have evidence. There is a reason dashcams are so popular among Uber drivers

simpsonsverytall likes this.
  7. JoeyA

JoeyA Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberXL
    Did you get your cancellation fee? For wasting your time?

Over/Uber likes this.
  8. AceManShow

AceManShow Well-Known Member

It happens to me as well, and I DENY them the ride without adults accompanying them. No way am I taking any liability for that ride... NO WAY.

9. JoeyA

JoeyA Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberXL
    So you cancel? Your cancellation rate goes up and you don't get the fee owed to you. So it's a losing proposition that uber gets away with. I realize the risk is worse, but is it our fault they allow the minor to use, or have, an account? Follow what im trying to say? Why are we penalized for the surprise we get when we arrive to give the ride?

Bean likes this.
  10. AceManShow

I know it sucks, but no matter what... Anything is better than having unaccompanied kids in my car. FUBER should kick these riders off the system permanently.

JoeyA likes this.
  11. Heema

Heema Active Member

What if I asked the pax and he said he was 18?

12. Grahamcracker

Grahamcracker Well-Known Member

Uber kinda leaves it at your own discretion to determine the riders validity . You are authorized to ask for ID and you can cancel the ride if the person trying to enter your vehicle cannot produce Identification.

If the person lies to you by saying they are over 17 years of age but are not and you feel at any point during the ride that you need to terminate the ride for whatever reason and something happens to the rider after you kick them out, you could be at risk of civil lawsuit with the minors parents.

The case could turn into a he said she said. I suggest having video recording with audio and signs displayed conspicuously saying audio and video recording are in use.

Below, I provided you a copy and paste of the Code of Conduct section of the Service agreement.

User Requirements and Conduct.
    The Service is not available for use by persons under the age of 18. You may not authorize third parties to use your Account, and you may not allow persons under the age of 18 to receive transportation or logistics services from Third Party Providers unless they are accompanied by you. You may not assign or otherwise transfer your Account to any other person or entity. You agree to comply with all applicable laws when accessing or using the Services, and you may only access or use the Services for lawful purposes (e.g., no transport of unlawful or hazardous materials). You may not in your access or use of the Services cause nuisance, annoyance, inconvenience, or property damage, whether to the Third Party Provider or any other party. In certain instances you may be asked to provide proof of identity to access or use the Services, and you agree that you may be denied access to or use of the Services if you refuse to provide proof of identity.

tradedate likes this.
  13. JoeyA

JoeyA Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberXL
    Thats funny i just printed that out to keep in the car in case i have to prove my point to someone. I did the same with nj laws regarding carseats. Im tired of hearing 'but drivers take me all the time' like im lying to them about the carseat rules.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
    Grahamcracker likes this.
  14. REX HAVOC

REX HAVOC Well-Known Member

Good for you. If the pax even looks close to 18 I ask to see an ID. Don't take chances with your livelihood. That goes for parents that don't have a car or booster seat. They can take a bus.

Grahamcracker and JoeyA like this.
  15. Jesusdrivesuber

Jesusdrivesuber Well-Known Member

Yup, the same way you get kicked out by bogus reports about alcohol smell or weed, that is the pax's kryptonite, if you didn't like the annoying teen, report him as a minor and his/her account gets instantly locked.

In short, picked up a college kid going 2 miles away? Np, cancel and report.

Take them if they go 20 miles, though.

16. Mears Troll Number 4

Mears Troll Number 4 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Taxi
    I to have a printout of local laws that are applicable. I keep it laminated on the bottom of my clipboard. Clear packing tape over the printout.

I have the car seat laws,
    Alcohol purchase laws (including times)
    I'm And the laws applying to the number of passengers in the car.

I can't tell you the number of times I have to make people read it as I'm telling them no.

Shangsta, Sub Guy, FL_Dex and 2 others like this.
  17. JoeyA

JoeyA Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberXL
    People may think we're nutz, but we have to cover our azzes. I don't want to be in the news.

Sub Guy, FL_Dex and AceManShow like this.
  18. wk1102

wk1102 Well-Known Member

Uh… did you say ‘yoots?

jothopo and Tatertot like this.
  19. AceManShow

Great idea..

JoeyA and FL_Dex like this.
  20. TheWanderer

TheWanderer Well-Known Member

Are you sure? Cause I talked to a claims examiner at James river and they said they do not cover an incident if the only pax is a child. (In ca)