• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Unaccompanied minor cancellations

Do u cancel on minors

• Total voters

Chapindc

Im curious as to how many of us strictly apply it, or not

The Ffuber thieves apparently don't care to inform riders, 1 more example of predatory profits & business

240BIGWINO

If they look questionable I ask them if they are 18. All they have to do is be smart enough to tell me, "yes" so I can pass that response along to anyone who might ask about their age.

Anyone dumb enough to tell me they're under age is informed that I'm not a babysitter and to call their parents. While waiting for the timer to expire I try to reach the parent through the phone to tell them Uber is not a childcare service and that they should be ashamed for dispatching strangers to pick up their children. Then I collect $3.75 and wait around the corner because most of them are dumb enough to re request and I can collect a second fine out of em if they don't cancel me fast enough.

Chapindc

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
If they look questionable I ask them if they are 18. All they have to do is be smart enough to tell me, "yes" so I can pass that response along to anyone who might ask about their age.

Anyone dumb enough to tell me they're under age is informed that I'm not a babysitter and to call their parents. While waiting for the timer to expire I try to reach the parent through the phone to tell them Uber is not a childcare service and that they should be ashamed for dispatching strangers to pick up their children. Then I collect $3.75 and wait around the corner because most of them are dumb enough to re request and I can collect a second fine out of em if they don't cancel me fast enough.
Lol exactly, not long ago I cancelled first after waiting the 2 min poop timer, couple mins later I get him again but he cancelled before I got to him since I wasn't answering the phone(never do btw), then he orders x(I guess he thought that might work lol) but again he kept calling & cancels before I got there, then again on poop, he didn't cancel this time so I got there, he had a pissed off, sad & worried mix look on his face, he came to the car & I said sorry man call ur parents & I'll have to cancel again, this time there was another trip added so went & made another quick cancel

I felt so bad for the kid but I haven't & never again will go the extra mile since over a yr ago for these fuber thieves pieces of shit

Kawiz03

Too much effort for 3.75 just cancel and get on with your day

I felt so bad for the kid but I haven't & never again will go the extra mile since over a yr ago for these fuber thieves pieces of shit
At a certain point it's not even about Uber. These riders are genuinely pieces of work.

I don't go the extra mile for nobody. I don't get tipped anyways so why bother. I provide a basic ride from your pickup to your destination. I'll talk to you if you're interested in that but that's it.

s_malc13

Some high school students look like college students. Some college students look like high school students. I once asked a young woman if she was going to a high school because I didn't want to drive a minor. She was going to NOVACC, and I may have offended her. So, as far as I'm concerned, they're ALL college students unless they start looking like middle school. And parents will try to load them in your car, act as if they're coming along, and not get in. @@@@ Fuber.

rv5

yes. i cancel as a no show because an 18+ year old person did not show. this is also the only time i will accept a ping from the same person after i cancel. multiple no show fees for just sitting there. keep requesting rides... i ain't going anywhere!

BunnyMan

Where did you get your training to identify fake IDs?
Was there an Uber training video?
Don't people balk at showing an ID?
I thought we weren't supposed to be demanding personal details from the rider like that.
In fact, I think it must be a contract violation for the driver to ask things like that.

Or are you just not serious about this "over 18" thing?
Except of course as a way to get cancellation fees?

If it's a minor, some here say the account holder has to be in the car.
How do you check that the adult is the account holder?
What if the parent (you've checked everyone's IDs) rides, but is not the account holder?
What if there are multiple minors and one adult who is either not the parent, or not the
account holder, or both? Like maybe a babysitter. Or an Uncle.
It all sounds kind of complicated to me.

How long does it take you to board riders, and do you check their IDs through the window?
Or do you let them in out of the rain, and then try to kick them out and cancel?
How is that working out for you?

Which drivers have been deactivated for transporting a minor?
Which drivers have been deactivated for refusing to transport someone who turned out to be 18+ ?
Or is Uber not serious about this "over 18" thing?

I mean, Uber does verify the customer's age before allowing them to open a rider account.
Right?
RIGHT?

Or maybe it's all just BS made up to pretend to satisfy a law that only exists in California.
Or a tactic for Uber to pretend not to be liable when something happens and pin it on
the driver. Like the lawyers and juries are going to believe that is reasonable.

N.B. Uber will NOT pay a cancellation fee for Unaccompanied Minor,
unless you sit there for at least 5 minutes (and I think you have to claim No Show, instead).
That goes a long way towards showing how serious Uber is about this policy.

Btw, where does it say in the Driver contract that you cannot transport minors?
Exactly what does it say - could someone please paste it in here?
I know the Rider account contract says it.

Finally, note that this has nothing to do with infants and car seats, which is an unrelated matter.

Last edited:

New2This

Twice I picked up what I thought were college girls unt ik l they started talking to each other. Then by the conversation I could tell they were high school.

Just made sure the dashcam was working and did my best impression of a mime.

Where did you get your training to identify fake IDs?
Don't people balk at showing an ID?
I thought we weren't supposed to be demanding personal details from the rider like that.

Or are you just not serious about this "over 18" thing?
Except of course as a way to get cancellation fees?

If it's a minor, some here say the account holder has to be in the car.
How do you check that the adult is the account holder?

Which drivers have been deactivated for transporting a minor?
Which drivers have been deactivated for refusing to transport someone who turned out to be 18+ ?

I mean, Uber does verify the customer's age before allowing them to open a rider account.
Right?
RIGHT?

Or maybe it's all just BS made up to pretend to satisfy a law that only exists in California.
Or a tactic for Uber to pretend not to be liable when something happens and pin it on
the driver. Like the lawyers and juries are going to believe that is reasonable.
You mean this, straight from Rohit's mouth?

downloadfile-1.png

BunnyMan

You didn't answer any of my questions. Not one of them.

A note from customer service is not a contract.
Also, I see that Uber didn't even give you a cancellation fee.
Until you complained and went round and round with them about it.

[Edit: Maybe you did sort of answer my question about how you check IDs.
You don't check IDs or anything. You just guess. Frequently wrongly. ]

John Origami

Lol BunnyMan go read your contract instead of asking us to go read it instead.

“N.B. Uber will NOT pay a cancellation fee for Unaccompanied Minor,
unless you sit there for at least 5 minutes”

Not true, you just have to cancel and then message support about the trip (say rider made you feel unsafe) and then you’ll get your cancel fee regardless of how long the trip was. It takes 1 message to them (which takes <5min to type so you are still ahead) or at max, 2 messages one with some choice words.

Pretty sure driving a minor messes with James River insurance policy for rideshade as well.

Uber does not verify their age. They don’t require any ID.

New2This

You didn't answer any of my questions. Not one of them.

A note from customer service is not a contract.
Also, I see that Uber didn't even give you a cancellation fee.
Until you complained and went round and round with them about it.

[Edit: Maybe you did sort of answer my question about how you check IDs.
You don't check IDs or anything. You just guess. Frequently wrongly. ]
This was from a while ago before the unaccompanied minors was an option on the cancel menu.

I have just directly asked "how old are you?" and gotten told 16, in which case they try the "but I take Uber all the time/other Uber drivers do it/you're an @@@@@@@" spiel starts.

I did actually have training to spot ID's when I was in the nightclub business.

Lately with the system I'm using the unaccompanied minors thing hasn't come up.

As John Origami said James River may try disputing coverage if anything happens. I am not willingly going to be a Guinea Pig for that.

Last edited:

BunnyMan

Lol BunnyMan go read your contract instead of asking us to go read it instead.
Pretty sure driving a minor messes with James River insurance policy for rideshade as well..
I could be wrong, of course, but I think you're making both of those things up.

Meanwhile, does it concern you that you have been, by your own admission,
often knowingly transporting unaccompanied minors? If not, why not?
What about all the ones you didn't even know about?

Trying to understand your reasoning on this.

I did actually have training to spot ID's when I was in the nightclub business..
Can you tell us about your ID checking practices for driving Uber? Or was that a non-sequitur?

BunnyMan

As I said been quite a while since I had to desl with any unaccompanied minors.
As far as you know. But you say you've been wrong before.

I think you transport them all the time and just don't know.
Which leads back to all my questions about what any of it really means.

New2This

As far as you know. But you say you've been wrong before.

I think you transport them all the time and just don't know.
Which leads back to all my questions about what any of it really means.
This is getting tedious. I know how Another Uber Driver feels dealing with Nats121.

Let me break it down in simple terms

*It's against Uber's TOS to transport unaccompanied minors

*If you're transporting an unaccompanied minor and something happens Uber has plausible deniability because they say in the TOS it's forbidden.

*Uber makes it deliberately opaque (no formal guidelines on verifying ages) to make it easier to distance themselves from any driver that does have an issue with an unaccompanied minor.

*Has anyone actually been deactivated for transporting an unaccompanied minor? Not that I've seen but, like the other transgressions (Shuffling/Longhauling etc.), they could if they wanted to.

*I've never knowingly taken any unaccompanied minors and never would.

I think Uber's 'on paper' serious for PR/legal reasons) but in reality knows and counts on being an alternative to the school bus.

1manwolfpack

yes. i cancel as a no show because an 18+ year old person did not show. this is also the only time i will accept a ping from the same person after i cancel. multiple no show fees for just sitting there. keep requesting rides... i ain't going anywhere!
Nice work! I like that. I did the same thing yesterday. The kid was literally 14 years old. I'm no thanks dude

Chapindc

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
20180802_092239.jpg

Some time ago I read on here that waiting time wasn't required to get cancel fees for unaccompanied minors, no car seat & too many riders, for not very long that was the case but then it changed, so I was calling rohit(a) every time & it was often very difficult to get a fee paid, often they didn't even know what I was talking about unless I had a screen shot(sometimes even that wouldn't help), so some of us have realized the easy way(the sensical way) is to wait the 2 or 5 min & then cancel under the appropriate option, but it's totally bs as expected from the fuber pieces of shit as this can present dangers for us from fuber prodigy riders since we're sitting ducks for some time & all for a pathetic 3.75 or 4 $ miserable fee

If the riders look around 18 yrs or younger I just ask how old & or the oldest of them is & that's all I need to know, then I call fuber to report their account.... but these fuber pieces of shit just dont care & never will, every single aspect of their business is PREDATORY & they're loving it

BunnyMan

I'll just say this. If this issue means anything other than an occasional cancellation fee to you,
you may wish to consult a good lawyer about "professional negligence". (I realize nobody
here actually considers any of this BS "policy" to be of sufficient concern to bother doing so.)