Unable to monitor surge with rider app?

SLS77066

Ok I've read here that it's common practice to use the rider app to monitor the surges and avoid flat rate rises. I can't seem to figure it out though, did uber take away this feature from the rider app with a new update?

The partner app will show an area that is surging. I'll navigate to that spot in the partner app and it doesn't really give me any info. Isn't a lightning bolt supposed to show or something, what am I doing wrong?

NachonCheeze

1) I don't drive LA so it may be different for me.... In general though, don't waste your time chasing surges. You can be in the surge zone and get ZERO pings so why bother.
2) The driver apps are different for different areas, again I am unfamiliar with LA. I drive San Diego and Riverside - For either I have to zoom into the surge area to eventually see the surge rate. Sometimes I have to scroll around to see it.
3) Be careful when accepting a ride during a surge......fUber will trick you and the ping will be a non-surge even though it shows a surge is going on. When the ping is showing on your phone the surge rate will display.
4) You don't need to use the rider app to monitor surge, it shows on the Driver app as well.

redloh

In the rider app, swipe up on the bottom of the screen and it will show the current surge rate (if any)

SLS77066

Hey thanks for the reply. Haven't been driving for too long just trying to come up with a strategy. Not trying to chase surges just seeing if it was possible to wait for one.

I thought there was a delay with the surge showing on the rider app to the driver app, maybe that's old news now I've been lurking around these forums for info.

I work during the week so I'm just trying to pick up some spare cheese on the weekends.

Agent99

The driver app is delayed in showing surge, some of the time. Surge also sometimes will show up faster on one device than on another type of device.

SLS77066

In the rider app, swipe up on the bottom of the screen and it will show the current surge rate (if any)

When I swipe up all it says is "get fare estimate"

And according to the partner app there's several areas around me surging

uberist

After the last update the lightning bolt in the riders app disappeared, as mentioned you have to swipe up from bottom to see the minimum fare.

This makes it harder for drivers to monitor surge from the riders app. Which means drivers will have to switch to their drivers app which adds you to the surge algorithm as soon as it's turned on now. And take you out of the pax algorithm.

Don't forget to drop the pin in the surge areas, the riders app is really most useful for seeing where other drivers are, if your picking up at a venue that's surging head away from other cars or drive past them in the surge never be the car in the middle of a pack of cars within a surge.

SLS77066

Thanks for the tips. Hat goes off to you all who have been at this for awhile. It really is a "game"

I've been out of town for a week so I'm gonna get back out there this weekend and see how it goes.

hulksmash

What market are you in? I have the most updated version of the app and still see the surge icon. Even when I point in random places outside my market I still see the icon in surge areas. I have iOS

JimS

Surges are being replaced in some markets like NYC with upfront pricing. They will include the surge in the price, but not show the multiplier.

uberist

LA OC area... as mentioned the icons gone, still have surge just gives custmer an estimated cost.

Which makes me curious if destination in mandatory, no way to estimate wuth out it.