UK to Victorian Licence

Martin Price

Hi Guys,

I am considering driving uber for some extra cash,

I have had a full clean driving licence in the UK for 8 years with no accidents and have obtained my Victorian licence 2 months ago (I have lived in Aus for 2 1/2 years and regret not getting it sooner)

I understand the basic requirements call for a driver to have held a Victorian licence for 12 months.

Has anybody had any experience with this being waived based on previous driving experience?

I spoke to a couple of drivers I know personally who have said they have heard of drivers who have came directly from overseas and started driving as soon as they got their Vic licence.

To my knowledge this would not be an issue until you have to complete your driver accreditation.

I am happy to wait the 10 months required if need be but was just exploring the possibilities.

Also a sub-question

How long is it until you have to complete the accreditation. I have read various statements, some saying 1 month some 2 and some immediately.

Which notably a colleague (at my full time role) who drives said he didn't have to complete this and did not get locked out of his app, I do assume this was either just a one off with Uber or he is not telling the truth.

All the info I can find seems to be neither here nor there and lack consistently but from looking at this forum it seems there is a wealth of knowledge from experienced guys,

Thanks

Martin Price

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hi Grand,

Thank you for the links I will be sure to check them out,

I thought that may be the case with having to ask directly as there seems to be a lot of mis information around. Either that or Uber are not consistent with their processes.

But the timeframe on how long guys took till they had to get accreditation would be great.

Thanks again

LevelX

I understand the basic requirements call for a driver to have held a Victorian licence for 12 months.
This is correct, as per the signup page http://melbourne.ubermovement.com/signup/

Has anybody had any experience with this being waived based on previous driving experience?
They do say on the signup page "Have you held an interstate licence in Australia for more than 12 months? Visit us in-person to find out how you can meet our eligibility requirements."

So you might be lucky! But you'll have to go visit them in person and talk options. (hint take a snack and coffee with you for the queue)

LevelX

But the timeframe on how long guys took till they had to get accreditation would be great.
about 3-4 weeks is normal, it takes a few weeks to do the paperwork and wait for uber to do its bit, then you have to get the car inspected and away you go.

The 'delay' can be from people with the wrong paperwork or cars that fail the checks etc.

If you're going to go in, take all the paperwork with you just in case. ie car insurance, rego cert, your drivers licence and passport info etc.

Martin Price

Thanks Level X,

This is the most helpful forum I have ever used! I'm very impressed.

If it doesn't work out, Ill have to get a scooter and drive uber eats!

Tom2828

Get hire car license then Uber will sign you up in 10 minutes.

For hire car license you will need to have driving assessment by TSC approved inspector and you done !

Martin Price

Thanks Tom, I didn't know there was alternatives.

Is the hire car license the same as the following link and thus require the 12 months?

melbourne. ubermovement driver-accreditation

(Won't allow me to post link as first few posts)

After having a further read the info I could see lead me to the following conclusion (I am not sure it is correct)

Uber allow you to sign up but then 4 weeks later you will be required to complete the accreditation.
The requirement for an accreditation is 12 months vic licence.
So therefore even if Uber waived the requirement at sign up, I wouldn't meet the requirement for the accreditation and therefore eventually get locked out the app.

Martin Price

Get hire car license then Uber will sign you up in 10 minutes.

For hire car license you will need to have driving assessment by TSC approved inspector and you done !
Sorry for the double reply,

Am I right in thinking the hire car licence is $40k?

If so I may as well wait the 10 months and go the standard route as it would take much longer to break even let alone earn some extra cash.

Tom2828

Sorry for the double reply,

Am I right in thinking the hire car licence is $40k?

If so I may as well wait the 10 months and go the standard route as it would take much longer to break even let alone earn some extra cash.

The car is not the driver accreditation.

If you have hire license or taxi license Uber sign you to drive immediately without police and driving history check

Martin Price

The car is not the driver accreditation.

If you have hire license or taxi license Uber sign you to drive immediately without police and driving history check
Okay, but does that not cost $40,000 as the below link or am I looking at the wrong licence? (broken link again, sorry)

taxi vic gov au drivers fees-and-charges

If it is 40k then it isnt worth it from a cash flow perspective.

Last edited:

LevelX

Before getting any hire car licences, go in and talk to Uber. See what they say and if it's a no go. Then ask about the hire car route.

If not, push bike or scooter for eats deliverys

Martin Price

Before getting any hire car licences, go in and talk to Uber. See what they say and if it's a no go. Then ask about the hire car route.

Thanks for the advice. If it ends up a scooter for eats then ill have to get my motorbike licence.

God I love 'Straya sometimes!

Martin Price

Just an update incase the question arises again it can be directed to this thread.

Reply from Uber:

"Thanks for reaching out.

At this time, all uberX partners must have held a full Victorian licence for at least 12 months. We are unable to make any exceptions even if you have a Driver's Authority card.

Please check out this link to know more for Driver-Partner requirements.

Let us know if we can help you with anything else."

Tom2828

Just an update incase the question arises again it can be directed to this thread.

Reply from Uber:

"Thanks for reaching out.

At this time, all uberX partners must have held a full Victorian licence for at least 12 months. We are unable to make any exceptions even if you have a Driver's Authority card.

Please check out this link to know more for Driver-Partner requirements.

Let us know if we can help you with anything else."

Uber support is rubbish !
Go to ceremone office and get proper answer.

Deedub

i call that bullshit. I have had numerous trips where I was a Rider and the driver was a FOB Punjabi who could not speak any english other than 'ok' , and ended up getting stooged by him going long dumb routes

LevelX

1. I would have thought there is a requirement to have a VIC license if residing more than 12 months.
2. Not sure what happens if cops pulled you over and asked for license.
Nothing, as this requirement is a UBER requirement. Most likely they require you have 12 months australian licence somewhere, so you know how to drive 'correctly' here in this country or something like that. So you're not fresh off the boat and finding your way around the city :wink:

Police don't enforce Ubers requirements and if the police thought you're a uber driver, they'll slap you with a fine instead and send you on your way!

3. Based on their comment I would assume that if I move from NSW to VIC I too would be ineligible!!! LevelX has the right comment about the web extract.
Based on the signup page, you will need to visit them in person to see if your eligible for an exemption to that 12 month vic rule. Which I'm pretty sure you would be if you have held a Australian licence in another state for more than 12 months. Guessing the online signup page doesn't support that type of mixed licence signup.

go and front the office.
Agreed.... as we have been saying all along! Go in to the fuber office and ask a real person. They'll have more of an idea than any of us.

Last edited:

Martin Price

Thanks for the update Martin Price.
Just some observations. I understand you now have VIC license.
1. I would have thought there is a requirement to have a VIC license if residing more than 12 months.
2. Not sure what happens if cops pulled you over and asked for license.
3. Based on Uber comment I would assume that if I move from NSW to VIC I too would be ineligible!!! LevelX has the right comment and approach about the web extract.

And I agree with Tom, web support does not mean good support - go and front the office.

Let us know how it goes.
1. I only purchased a car recently so not too much of an issue other than I usually rent one apart from when I purchased to do a road trip from Brisbane to Melbourne.

2. Play the dumb tourist card should it have happened (Although not a tourist now!)

3. To my understanding in that situation you have to hold a full current Vic licence and have held an interstate or NZ licence for 6 months prior to that if you have just moved to VIC.