• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

UBERXL vs. U-Haul

SinCityAngel

At first, I really didn't take the issue seriously as I really wasn't getting that many requests. However, just recently, I got an Uber XL request from a pax. Pax bought a big screen TV that was too large for his car at Best buy. So he helps me load his TV into my van and instructs me to follow him home. Which I did. But, previous to that, I went down to the east side of town and basically played storage van for these kids that got kicked out of their weekly rental. Yesterday, I picked up a couple of young men from a U-Haul facility who were moving the remainder of their belongings to their nice 4000 square foot mansion in the West. Has anyone seen anything recently advertised stating something like, "need a moving van but don't want to pay moving van prices? Why not use uberxl?"

DriverMark

At first, I really didn't take the issue seriously as I really wasn't getting that many requests. However, just recently, I got an Uber XL request from a pax. Pax bought a big screen TV that was too large for his car at Best buy. So he helps me load his TV into my van and instructs me to follow him home. Which I did. But, previous to that, I went down to the east side of town and basically played storage van for these kids that got kicked out of their weekly rental. Yesterday, I picked up a couple of young men from a U-Haul facility who were moving the remainder of their belongings to their nice 4000 square foot mansion in the West. Has anyone seen anything recently advertised stating something like, "need a moving van but don't want to pay moving van prices? Why not use uberxl?"
I won't do any more "Moving day services" in my XL. Unless I'm extremely desperate for a ping. The last one I had the chick went in, dude starting unloading. Their credit card or whatever was declined and they were arguing. They spent their last few $$$ on the XL ride it sounded like. I was like "Here, let me help you unload". Which I wasn't going to do but at that point I realized I needed them out of my car and me to leave. I left them on the curb in 20 degree weather and light snow. Felt guilty? Only until that next ping came in which was about 30 seconds.....

Moving a TV or something from the store to their house. No biggie. And I've usually gotten tipped for it.

TPAMB

I've only done this twice. Once was a frame from Michaels and the other from an antique store that was going out of business. One tipped $20.00, the other $5. I don't do them anymore. Last guy was a pu at a hotel with about 20 boxes going to a storage locker. I told him I don't do moving services.

Unleaded

any reason why you didn't cancel? If you don't want the ride just cancel and teach them a lesson

But if you're happy, accept it. You're an independent contractor, not a slave
If you are an XL vehicle and are presented with a rider with too much ir oversized “stuff”...... if it fits, do it. If it doesn’t fit, let your rider cancel and gave them call for a larger vehicle, like a Black SUV. The key word is Safety.

Seamus

Here's a PROTIP to help you. Just remove all your seats on a request like this and you can fit way more stuff in your Van. Leave the seats on the side of the road and you can drive back and get them later when you're done. Great way to get an "excellent service" badge and you may even be tipped a dollar or two!

SinCityAngel

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Here's a PROTIP to help you. Just remove all your seats on a request like this and you can fit way more stuff in your Van. Leave the seats on the side of the road and you can drive back and get them later when you're done. Great way to get an "excellent service" badge and you may even be tipped a dollar or two!
Flattery will get you nowhere. Sarcasm, on the other hand?.. ???

Bluto1899

I once got an XL that felt it could somehow fit 5 pax PLUS all their belongings from running a golf outing. 3 bags of clubs, a bunch of boxes of stuff, luggage, wardrobe bags, big cardboard signs, plus one of them had one of the kneel scooters because they had a broken foot. They seemed legitimately annoyed that I couldn’t fit everything in. I don’t know what they were expecting?

Unleaded

I once got an XL that felt it could somehow fit 5 pax PLUS all their belongings from running a golf outing. 3 bags of clubs, a bunch of boxes of stuff, luggage, wardrobe bags, big cardboard signs, plus one of them had one of the kneel scooters because they had a broken foot. They seemed legitimately annoyed that I couldn’t fit everything in. I don’t know what they were expecting?
Got a ride request to make a pick up at a hotel and this was one of those “45 minutes or Long Ride” trips. Got to the hotel and the riders came out with 31 pieces of luggage and told me that there were 13 riders going to a location 90 minutes away. I have a mid-sized SUV qualified for XL that has a maximum of 7 passengers including the driver. I told the intended riders that this was not going to work with just one XL vehicle. One told me that they had ordered an XL vehicle for their trip and they couldn't understand the problem or my issue. They were still ready to go. Where do some of these riders come from? As I write this, I myself can’t believe that this really happened. Ultimately, I resolved the dilemma with some “fancy footwork” on the app. All’s well that ends well.

Unleaded

I've only done this twice. Once was a frame from Michaels and the other from an antique store that was going out of business. One tipped $20.00, the other $5. I don't do them anymore. Last guy was a pu at a hotel with about 20 boxes going to a storage locker. I told him I don't do moving services.
When it comes time for college students to vacate their dorm rooms, this can a gold mine fir any driver with an SUV. They are normally moving their items to their parents garages or a storage facility. Most students order Uber XL. One Trip can net you some nice cash. Multiple trips can account for a very good payday. Pickup and dropoff is easy and all you have to do is arrange the items to fit in your vehicle. Despite being students, they show their appreciation via tips. If they are using their parents’ account, parents can be very appreciative because you saved them (the parents) from having to do it. Then, after the summer, they will need to move back to campus.

SinCityAngel

I won't lie. I keep straps in case of something stupid and I once stuffed 20 kids in my van and went the equivalent of 2 city blocks for $40.

My concern is that - just like the carpool product - we are suddenly thrust into a new and unexpected service with no regard to compensation

Unleaded

I won't lie. I keep straps in case of something stupid and I once stuffed 20 kids in my van and went the equivalent of 2 city blocks for $40.

My concern is that - just like the carpool product - we are suddenly thrust into a new and unexpected service with no regard to compensation
Did you first take a psychological step back to consider the “What If” factors? Accident or random police stop? What would have been your explanation? Did you have a “$40 plan B”?

SinCityAngel

Did you first take a psychological step back to consider the “What If” factors? Accident or random police stop? What would have been your explanation? Did you have a “$40 plan B”?
This is a city where risks are taken every day. So it really didn't matter one way or the other. However, to increase my chances of success, I drove like an old lady and all of my windows are tinted

SEAL Team 5

just recently, I got an Uber XL request from a pax. Pax bought a big screen TV that was too large for his car at Best buy. So he helps me load his TV into my van and instructs me to follow him home. Which I did.
Man, I'm really bad at following people. Anybody want to come to my house tonight and watch the ballgame on my brand new big screen?