• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

uberX vs uberExec

bokatom

If you had the choice would you go for uberX or Exec? In London that is.

Am I right in assuming that you get more business as an uberX driver, and if so, does the extra business make up for the lower fees you get? Or is the extra money for being Exec making up for the extra expense incurred running a higher level car?

I was interested in the income analysis between uberX, uberExec (and Lux if there's enough info). My assumptions are that the higher level of car you go for, the more income you should be making, but of course we all know what assumptions can be.

Thanks in advance for any insightful feedback :-)

SoBeUBER

I think the general rule of thumb is it's best to use the car you already have if it makes sense to use it, but don't buy a car to UBER....thete are soooo many reasons not too....keep reading and you'll figure them all out...

bokatom

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah that sounds like good advice. But what if - like me - you've got two cars, one in each category. It's not that expensive to get your vehicle licensed up for London, any difference in income would quickly pay for the costs incurred

SoBeUBER

Depends on how nice your uber lux car is right now, and how keen you are on keeping it nice...personally if my car had a current market value of over 50,000 us, I would not be driving strangers around in it for anything less than a 1 hour minimum (hopefully longer)charter fare....these tend to be better clients that won't beat up your car, the less money people spend on somethine e.g. uber, the less consideration they have for it and treat it as such....

If you are going to do uber, people are going to vring food and drink into your car and they are going to spill it...and more than likely you are going to allow it because you are in fear of their rating system....I prefer private non uber work...paid in cash often, so no taxes and no bullshit ratings nazis to deal with

Last edited:

bokatom

It's a fairly early XF. So not too valuable, or so precious I mind if it takes a bit of hard work :-)

My plan would be to use that for Exec to start with, then if it goes well once it's had a year or two, move to a more recent E Class.

Another thought I had was that by going uberExec you get a better class of client (not sure if that's the right way to describe it but I would imagine you now what I mean!) Less drunk students and more people who are on expenses - thought possibly still drunk lol. The extra expense keeps out the riffraff ;-)

London UberExec Driver

Some time ago, think it was in the spring, I took an UberX, and the driver told me he had a Jaguar XF, which he keeps for his own clients. He could use it for Exec but doesn't. Instead, I was being ridden in a Ford Mondeo he bought for £5k or so and used that as his UberX workhorse.

He was making good money in it, but that some time ago before the recent rate cuts and saturation of drivers.

London UberExec Driver

Don't forget there are students from wealthy backgrounds as well with a few bob. Especially overseas/international ones, whose courses cost well into 5 figures a year. I've certainly collected a few, mostly those from the US.

bokatom

Some time ago, think it was in the spring, I took an UberX, and the driver told me he had a Jaguar XF, which he keeps for his own clients. He could use it for Exec but doesn't. Instead, I was being ridden in a Ford Mondeo he bought for £5k or so and used that as his UberX workhorse.

He was making good money in it, but that some time ago before the recent rate cuts and saturation of drivers.
Thats's an option, but tbh I'd rather not buy yet another car, plus the Jag is so nice to drive. I might as well enjoy my time as much as possible :-)

bokatom

Don't forget there are students from wealthy backgrounds as well with a few bob. Especially overseas/international ones, whose courses cost well into 5 figures a year. I've certainly collected a few, mostly those from the US.
Oh yeah, definitely, my comment was fairly tongue in cheek. I do wonder whether you get less problem customers overall the higher up the Uber chain you go? Or just maybe different problems?

London UberExec Driver

Use the Jag if you've got it, and make as much money from it while you can for the next year or so as you say.

How early is it? Remember it needs to be less than five years old (59 plate) before it can be licensed and accepted by Uber.

Don't genetrally have too many problems with passengers on Exec. Depends where you hang about waiting for pick ups. Although less likely, someone can easily get drunk in an expensive restaurant as they can from a cheap club selling £1 shots (if there are any in London?!).

Generally, typical X passengers (the tight ones,anyway) may watch how you drive and the amount of times you stop at traffic lights etc., as the fare is increasing at 0.28/minute. Exec passengers aren't really bothered, as you say, the trip is usually on expenses. Unless they're in a hurry to catch a plane/train. They are also likely to leave you in peace as they're on their phone/laptops working away. I suspect typical X passengers are likely to be more conversant, but it's your preference.

UberLuxbod

The XF is the oldest car accepted on Exec.

Due to them allowing pre facelift.on the fleet which could be as old as 2008.

As LondonExec says it needs to be less than 5yrs to get its first PCO.

If it is already licensed you are good to go.

However you may find fuel consumption to be an issue.

The 2.7d is inferior in many ways to then 3.0d even though they are closely related.

You will be looking at 28-32mpg overall.

The XJ is also not much different weight wise due to being Aluminium rather than steel.

The later 2.2 is a better bet for work in the same way as a E200/220/250cdi is a better bet than an E350cdi (as long as they both have a 7speed i would personally avoid the 5speed versions.)

I suspect the XF will be a comfortable place to do your shift.

And with the XF you can get Insurance from the likes of Aston Scott who only do Exec and Chauffeur vehicles (and Vianos)

UberLuxbod

Oh yeah, definitely, my comment was fairly tongue in cheek. I do wonder whether you get less problem customers overall the higher up the Uber chain you go? Or just maybe different problems?
More Money More Problems.

You get Payday Millionaires, Fraudsters and Rich Tossers a plenty on UberLux.

If I didn't have my other work my Jag would have been traded in a long time ago.

bokatom

It's a good news/bad news/good news thing

Good news is the Jag is a 3.0 diesel, I have got 50 on the motorway but around town 30+ is about it. Yay!

The Bad news is it's just over 5 years old and not licensed so unsuitable. Boo!

The Good news is I can start with a blank slate and decide if I want to go X or Exec. Yay again!

So after all that my current thinking is get a recent E Class Merc (has anyone tried the Hybrid versions??) and go Exec, or get a Prius and go X.

Now having had a Prius before I probably wouldn't be happy with that as it had quite possibly the worst suspension of any car I've ever driven (and I've had a Smart ForTwo!) It was crashy and noisy, but it did give fantastic fuel economy. I did almost buy a new E220 recently, the Merc garage were desperate to get me to buy one, they'd knocked £7k off within half an hour of me going in, so I know I could get a good deal, if not from them, then somewhere else.

Decisions, decisions!

Thanks for sticking with me so far :-)

UberLuxbod

Have heard a few horror stories regarding battery packs on the E300 Hybrid.

Addison Lee thought it was not worth the risk.

They took on London Exec's E300 Hybrid when they bought LE.

Wether they still have them I don't know.

Cheapest and quickest way into an Exec E Class is to buy an ex Addison Lee one.

Start at £9500 or so. Most are still PCO inspected but obviously have not Road Tax.

Not sure what was wrong with the Prius you had as there is nothing wrong with the ride in a Prius. Either the current one or the previous Gen 2 version.

Buying a new car for Uber is madness unless you have other options for work.

And the £7k discount is not unusual on a new E Class.

Ethos can get you one tomorrow for £27j with a few options on it.

London UberExec Driver

What's your previous experience and knowledge of London?

Most Exec customers will just get in the car and expect you to know where you're going.

Just now, I collected a passenger from Southampton Row by the kerb. It's a busy road. He wanted to go to the Criterion Theatre. Via Baker Street.

I wouldn't think he'd be too pleased if I was fiddling with the sat nav holding up the traffic, then asking him where the theatre was.

X passengers tend to be more forgiving, I expect and will give you postcodes expecting you to use the sat nav. Exec, not so much.

UberLuxbod

More good advice from LondonExec.

A mate was at Uber today for an Exec only sign up day.

Several drivers had only just got a PH Lic

And many struggled to speak and read English

London UberExec Driver

Lol. I wonder how they manage to find the office in the first place.

I sort of feel sorry for the staff there, with the amount of stupidity and disorganised chaos they have to deal with there every day.

UberLuxbod

What really annoys is due to the large number of half wits they are taking on.

They treat the relatively small number of decent drivers like idiots.

And are now so scared on TFL they make issues of things that are not an issue.

But also have no interest in allegations of some Uber drivers possibly allowing other drivers, maybe not even licensed, to use their cars.

It should be easy to spot.

If the car is on the road 24/7 then it likely has more than one driver.

bokatom

Good advice there guys thanks.

I've a pretty good knowledge of west and north London but South, and especially east, is a bit more of an unknown factor for me. I've been driving round them recently to get a feel for the area, shopping etc.

Bearing in mind I can't use the Jag maybe I'd be better starting off with Addison Lee to see how much I get on with them, as they provide the cars? Then when I'm more ready switch to a used Merc and go uberExec if I've not got completely pissed off by then :-)

Londuber

Hi ya,
I have a same questions... Uber X or Uber Exec? I can rent Mercedes E class (last model) for 240/week same like a Prius (2011) ... with Insurance.... Yes its a good price for Mercedes.... I think.
Questions is: Do I will get enough busy with a Mercedes to generate same amount of money like with a Prius?
Thank you for sharing your suggestion and experience.