UberX vs UberEats

I recently switched from UberX to UberEats, I also have Postmates, but it's only for back up, in case something happens to Uber, you never know.

I've always resisted the idea of doing food delivery as my perception was that it was not lucrative. Now, I don't even know why I even thought that, because UberX isn't that lucrative, either. I mean, compared to what plumbers make? What Journeyman electricians make? I thought this idea of standing around waiting for food, then having to get out of your car and hunt for the customer's door in a large apartment complex, what, for $4? How is that going to be a money maker?

Now that I've done it, it is obvious that I got it completely wrong.

The advantages are clear: 1. I'm not driving on the freeway hardly at all it's a local trips
( which means fewer traffic jams ) 2. Because I'm driving a hybrid, city driving mileage is better. 3. No more wear and tear on my auto's interior. 4. The tips are way way better, and this I had problem understanding. 5. In the coronavirus era, it's safer -- you don't have passengers in a car close up, and that's a good thing. 6. You get out of your car more often and this is healthier than being stuck in the car for 8 - 10 hours straight.

Here's what I didn't understand about tipping. On UberX, people tip, if and when they do tip, they tip as a percentage of the fare. So, if a fare is $10 to the rider, you *might* get a dollar or two. But, with food, there is a much stronger tipping culture. Uber murdered the tipping culture early on, it took them about 4 years to finally add tipping to the app. But there's more to this, with food, people are calculating their percentage to tip you, NOT on your trip fee you will receive ( about four or five bucks, as they would with UberX ) they are calculating the tip percentage from the food PLUS delivery tab ( or food at the minimum ) as they would for a waiter, and that tab is often more than $20 as deliveries are for families much of the time. My tips have constantly been in the range of 45% of my actual earnings! This is unheard of with UberX. In a sense, we are making what waiters/waitresses would have made, we are replacing them. This I didn't understand at the outset.

By that time (after four years of Uber killing the tipping culture), 4 tiers of new millennials are conditioned not to tip, and the sudden addition of tipping in the app didn't change the non-tipping culture they had already established and burned into young folks. Early on, with Uber, millennials and people under 40 were 95% of all rides. Later, and very slowly, as the rest of the population caught on to the Uber app, older people started using it, and older people are more inclined to tip, having used cabs in the past, where there is a tipping culture.

But, even with that, Uber tips aren't that great. I drove a cab in the 70s, and the tips I made over 40 years ago are about what I'm making now (for UberX). Adjusting for inflation, I'm making a helluva lot less in tips with UberX. Of course, what we make in tips delivering food would not compare to what a waiter makes in a good restaurant, but still, the point is valid. And, for you young'uns, I call them waiters and waitresses, I don't know what they call them today, but I know it's something different

Even now, with most people using either Uber or Lyft, people under 30 are a good chunk of the biz, if not still the majority, using the app.

Then came the virus, and rideshare business, including Taxi, has tanked for obvious reasons. But, as restaurants have closed, food delivery has increased. So, the logical thing to do is switch, which I did.

In every proverbial cloud, there's a silver lining, and for me, it's the fact that, but for the virus, I wouldn't have tried delivery, and now that I'm doing it, not only is it better for all the above reasons, I'm making more money. I'm actually average more per hour--I'd say about $5 bucks more per hour ( actual on the road hours, not the Uber app hours, Of course, other's earnings, different regions, demographics, etc, may vary). And....because I'm putting fewer miles on my car, the cost of wear and tear is less, so it's a better deal all the way around. Now, I've heard a lot of complaining about delivery, and sure, it's not without it's own set of problems. I just mean, 'overall'.

And the side benefit, which didn't occur to me, despite the fact that I do like people, and most people are nice, but some people are, well, a "PITA" and there are much fewer of those in the delivery biz. People love to get their food, on the whole. One more thing: The addresses are far more accurate than the addresses UberX gives me and no more logos on my car!

As for the virus, I've found almost everyone is wearing gloves and masks. So, even if things go back to normal, I'm probably going to stay with delivery and not be hauling people around any more.

Of course, the $64k question is, when it does go back to normal, will the tipping subside, or are they tipping well now because of the virus, because people understand you are literally risking your life to bring them food and they are sympathetic because of it? I'll just have to wait and see.

Comments

Any port in a storm.

Uber sent me a notification today, encouraging me to deliver food. Small surprise -- since the current car crisis has restaurants scrambling to stay in business.

This forum has far too many Sad Sacks, whining about reduced incomes and exploring the finer points of collecting unemployment.

Far better to use your resources to solve your problems. Delivery is a viable option.

I recently switched from UberX to UberEats,
Of course, the $64k question is, when it does go back to normal, will the tipping subside, or are they tipping well now because of the virus, because people understand you are literally risking your life to bring them food and they are sympathetic because of it? I'll just have to wait and see.
How long did it take for the switch to go into effect? I had my Uber Eats removed from my app a few years ago. Hated getting food orders near airports. But, I'm now thinking that I can simply turn it off in the app if I'm not in an area I want to work in. Anyway, I went online to turn it on. Automated response said it should be on within a day or two. I'm very tempted to try it.

• Article Author Article Author
How long did it take for the switch to go into effect? I had my Uber Eats removed from my app a few years ago. Hated getting food orders near airports. But, I'm now thinking that I can simply turn it off in the app if I'm not in an area I want to work in. Anyway, I went online to turn it on. Automated response said it should be on within a day or two. I'm very tempted to try it.
I think it was something like a couple of weeks. NOthing was happening, the app seemed stuck, or something, so I called again, and they finally put me in touch with a technician, they were having software issues due to the sudden demand. I got it handled, Yeah, you just switch it on or off, as you need to.

I switched off UberX, but I could go back to it once things settle down. But, I'm getting to like Eats. If you are in a nice sized city ( I'm serving too small cities in San Diego, total population of the areas I work in is about 250,000 ). Anyway, it's stacked calls, rarely do I not get a delivery offered after I finish a delivery, I'm usually offered another delivery just after I pick up the food and hit the "start delivery button". I work from 11am to 7Pm, but I often quit around 6:30pm, and I take an hour break between 3 and 4 pm, it's a little slow around then. My actual work time is only about 6 or 7 hours. I don't work a full 8 hours. I should, though, but I'm lazy. I hope it stays like this, and I'm wondering if it's only this busy because of the virus.

Last edited:
I think it was something like a couple of weeks. NOthing was happening, the app seemed stuck, or something, so I called again, and they finally put me in touch with a technician, they were having software issues due to the sudden demand. I got it handled, Yeah, you just switch it on or off, as you need to.

I switched off UberX, but I could go back to it once things settle down. But, I'm getting to like Eats. If you are in a nice sized city ( I'm serving too small cities in San Diego, total population of the areas I work in is about 250,000 ). Anyway, it's stacked calls, rarely do I not get a delivery offered after I finish a delivery, I'm usually offered another delivery just after I pick up the food and hit the "start delivery button". I work from 11am to 7Pm, but I often quit around 6:30pm, and I take an hour break between 3 and 4 pm, it's a little slow around then. My actual work time is only about 6 or 7 hours. I don't work a full 8 hours. I should, though, but I'm lazy. I hope it stays like this, and I'm wondering if it's only this busy because of the virus.
I'm thinking it will probably slow down once everyone is feeling somewhat normal again. Same with tipping. Thanks for the quick response. :wink:

For now people are tipping , take advantage of it , this is not the norm , more tipping people are home now as there’s a pandemic around the country , really not that hard to understand if you give it some thought

I did eats From Dec thru Middle February using my older car. Started back UBER x mid february . Hourly rate is about the same but if tips and promo fall off in eats your lucky to do $11 or $12 hour in my market. Since I am part time i have been doing X because i am leaving Eats for the people that depend on it.

Two other very important aspects of Uber Eats:

1. You can do UE in an older car than UberX. The car doesn't have to be a 4 door sedan either.

2. The "fare" is based on the total distance from where you are sitting with the app on to the pick-up and drop off. I didn't realize this at first and ended up cancelling on a few pings due to "too far to pick up"! Now that I realized the fare structure, I just sit after a drop off and wait. They basically pay for all of your miles driven. So no dead mile on Uber Eats versus Uber X.

I might just do UE even after the economy is back to normal.

And will it be as busy as it is now equally as important.

The earnings potential for UberX/Lyft is "potentially" higher. 1 30+ min ride will equal many deliveries. Working known surge times can also boost earnings way over delivery.

But, right now there is almost no surge. And when I have seen surge there is not $$ in the surge areas, so is Uber not doing surge right now? Might be seen as price gouging during a pandemic. (shrug 🤷‍♂️ ).

I might not go back to driving people either. But will see. Those late night bar closings can be big money and other events can be much more profitable. But driving 1/4 of the miles, being minutes from home when I call it a night, not having to worry how clean the car is when I start, not dealing with people..... well..... it's been enjoyable.

I see surges and have gotten some. They are small fixed amounts like $1.50 or $2.00

the tips are the big deals. We must focus on fancy restaurants and not Taco Bells

And will it be as busy as it is now equally as important.

The earnings potential for UberX/Lyft is "potentially" higher. 1 30+ min ride will equal many deliveries. Working known surge times can also boost earnings way over delivery.
Yes, UberX is more barometric, higher highs, lower lows. But, on the New Years and July 4th, just switch back.

Well, on those 30 minute rides, you often have to deadhead back, more gas, more miles on car, and with people, more wear and tear on your interior. I've been ubering or 6 years, cabbing for 10 years prior, and I know for a fact that the good days and the good runs just don't happen often enough. Things will really get going, then it will slumber. It never stays even keel. So far, Eats has been real steady, and I kinda like that. On average, I have to UberX for 9 hours what I'm making in 6 or 7 . So, thus far, it seems better, on the whole, but I haven't been doing Eats long enough to know the cycles, if there are any.
Post automatically merged:

Two other very important aspects of Uber Eats:

1. You can do UE in an older car than UberX. The car doesn't have to be a 4 door sedan either.

2. The "fare" is based on the total distance from where you are sitting with the app on to the pick-up and drop off. I didn't realize this at first and ended up cancelling on a few pings due to "too far to pick up"! Now that I realized the fare structure, I just sit after a drop off and wait. They basically pay for all of your miles driven. So no dead mile on Uber Eats versus Uber X.

I might just do UE even after the economy is back to normal.
I didn't realize this, good to know, thanks. IN fact, I've been tracking my paid miles which is way better with UberEats, so that's the reason.

Last edited:
20 years i will say again in a small area as 2nd job.
professional guys will kill to get in line to wait for an opening. for about 5 places only.
EATS PAY SUCKS.
SHORT TERM MEMORY with eats . when they started to . no tip option for customers..WTF.
private places have local loyal customers.

There's a guy making 1700, mostly tips, a week doing just eats, I say go for it! He takes like 300 trips a week and is online for 80 hours a week, but it's paying him well. Personally I don't do eats, too much for for too little pay.

I recently switched from UberX to UberEats, I also have Postmates, but it's only for back up, in case something happens to Uber, you never know.

I've always resisted the idea of doing food delivery as my perception was that it was not lucrative. Now, I don't even know why I even thought that, because UberX isn't that lucrative, either. I mean, compared to what plumbers make? What Journeyman electricians make? I thought this idea of standing around waiting for food, then having to get out of your car and hunt for the customer's door in a large apartment complex, what, for $4? How is that going to be a money maker?

Now that I've done it, it is obvious that I got it completely wrong.

The advantages are clear: 1. I'm not driving on the freeway hardly at all it's a local trips
( which means fewer traffic jams ) 2. Because I'm driving a hybrid, city driving mileage is better. 3. No more wear and tear on my auto's interior. 4. The tips are way way better, and this I had problem understanding. 5. In the coronavirus era, it's safer -- you don't have passengers in a car close up, and that's a good thing. 6. You get out of your car more often and this is healthier than being stuck in the car for 8 - 10 hours straight.

Here's what I didn't understand about tipping. On UberX, people tip, if and when they do tip, they tip as a percentage of the fare. So, if a fare is $10 to the rider, you *might* get a dollar or two. But, with food, there is a much stronger tipping culture. Uber murdered the tipping culture early on, it took them about 4 years to finally add tipping to the app. But there's more to this, with food, people are calculating their percentage to tip you, NOT on your trip fee you will receive ( about four or five bucks, as they would with UberX ) they are calculating the tip percentage from the food PLUS delivery tab ( or food at the minimum ) as they would for a waiter, and that tab is often more than $20 as deliveries are for families much of the time. My tips have constantly been in the range of 45% of my actual earnings! This is unheard of with UberX. In a sense, we are making what waiters/waitresses would have made, we are replacing them. This I didn't understand at the outset.

By that time (after four years of Uber killing the tipping culture), 4 tiers of new millennials are conditioned not to tip, and the sudden addition of tipping in the app didn't change the non-tipping culture they had already established and burned into young folks. Early on, with Uber, millennials and people under 40 were 95% of all rides. Later, and very slowly, as the rest of the population caught on to the Uber app, older people started using it, and older people are more inclined to tip, having used cabs in the past, where there is a tipping culture.

But, even with that, Uber tips aren't that great. I drove a cab in the 70s, and the tips I made over 40 years ago are about what I'm making now (for UberX). Adjusting for inflation, I'm making a helluva lot less in tips with UberX. Of course, what we make in tips delivering food would not compare to what a waiter makes in a good restaurant, but still, the point is valid. And, for you young'uns, I call them waiters and waitresses, I don't know what they call them today, but I know it's something different

Even now, with most people using either Uber or Lyft, people under 30 are a good chunk of the biz, if not still the majority, using the app.

Then came the virus, and rideshare business, including Taxi, has tanked for obvious reasons. But, as restaurants have closed, food delivery has increased. So, the logical thing to do is switch, which I did.

In every proverbial cloud, there's a silver lining, and for me, it's the fact that, but for the virus, I wouldn't have tried delivery, and now that I'm doing it, not only is it better for all the above reasons, I'm making more money. I'm actually average more per hour--I'd say about $5 bucks more per hour ( actual on the road hours, not the Uber app hours, Of course, other's earnings, different regions, demographics, etc, may vary). And....because I'm putting fewer miles on my car, the cost of wear and tear is less, so it's a better deal all the way around. Now, I've heard a lot of complaining about delivery, and sure, it's not without it's own set of problems. I just mean, 'overall'.

And the side benefit, which didn't occur to me, despite the fact that I do like people, and most people are nice, but some people are, well, a "PITA" and there are much fewer of those in the delivery biz. People love to get their food, on the whole. One more thing: The addresses are far more accurate than the addresses UberX gives me and no more logos on my car!

As for the virus, I've found almost everyone is wearing gloves and masks. So, even if things go back to normal, I'm probably going to stay with delivery and not be hauling people around any more.

It's a no brainer for me. I switched to Eats before this covid nonsense and I can't believe I actually used to drive people around. Way less wear and tear and mileage for about the same amount of money if not maybe a little more.

Too little money you say? Well, I do 20 hours casually for $500 a week, and check out the tips (50% of fare). Plus hardly any dead miles.

If I drove 80 hours that should be around $2,000.

Almost $25 per hour right now is gold my friend.

The virus has changed everything. Adapt or die, LOL.

View attachment 451529
That’s only for right now, it wasn’t always that lucrative.... in 20 hours I pull 6-8 hundred working x.
Too little money you say? Well, I do 20 hours casually for $500 a week, and check out the tips (50% of fare). Plus hardly any dead miles.

If I drove 80 hours that should be around $2,000.

Almost $25 per hour right now is gold my friend.

The virus has changed everything. Adapt or die, LOL.

View attachment 451529
What market?