UberX - simply its not worth it - No Money

ivanB

I have tried Uber X for 2 weeks now, and I must say its just not worth it. There is no money to be made, and only person making money is Uber them selves.
I have tried Uber X I didn't try Uber Select but it simply wasn't worth it. After I counted the number of hours I have worked, and deducted my gas expense my wages came to $10.70/hour

I just think there is no money here, Uber is a big hype and they live of that, yes its cool if you are a passenger, but for drivers there is no money there at all.

Time to quit unless Uber raised their prices, or does surge pricing daily.

biozon

The topic and your statements contradict each other. You say there is no money, and then you say you got 10.70 and hour after deductions. Yes, it's not much. My own findings average between 11-15 per hour.

If you know any other job that requires no education other than G driver's licence and at least 10 yeard old vehicle in good mechanical condition and provides hours as flexible as you like and pays $10.70 per hour with the ability to deduct all job related expenses (such as gas, food and drink, maintenance and repaira, etc) thus giving you an opportunity to receive returns from taxes paid on your full time job - don't hesitate and take it.

RusTO

Just wanted to write down comment where the hell is Biozon preaching it's all hunky dory haha

ivanB

Biozon is an Uber Rep send out here to promote how good Uber is. Now he will start posting fake screen shots from his phone........just watch it.

kwzombie

And IvanB seems like an angry cabbie trying to spread the hate.

Anyway, Uber is not and should not be a full time gig. It's for people who want a little extra money part time or between REAL jobs. Many of us just do a few trips here and there for fun and not so much for the money, I've met quite a few interesting people in my town. I have 'occasional business use, including carrying customers' on my policy while I'm waiting for real Uber insurance to be available from Intact, there is no other option for part time drivers at the moment, and I'm paying about $60/month extra for this (more than Americans in no-fault states pay for hybrid insurance). I drive literally a couple of hours every couple of weeks and during times of low traffic - but I am just doing this for fun, not for the money. When there is real coverage and regulations I may buy some seat covers and Uber a little more especially the peak bar hours, but not until then.

People driving Uber full time SHOULD be getting taxi insurance until there is a hybrid policy available because that is a gross misrepresentation of risk to your insurance company. But again, Uber should NOT be a full time gig, it is not intended to be such.

Sorry that it isn't working out for you Ivan, if you are actually an Uber driver and not just a taxi industry propagandist.

Hans

I have tried Uber X for 2 weeks now, and I must say its just not worth it. There is no money to be made, and only person making money is Uber them selves.
I have tried Uber X I didn't try Uber Select but it simply wasn't worth it. After I counted the number of hours I have worked, and deducted my gas expense my wages came to $10.70/hour

I just think there is no money here, Uber is a big hype and they live of that, yes its cool if you are a passenger, but for drivers there is no money there at all.

Time to quit unless Uber raised their prices, or does surge pricing daily.

I completely agree with IvanB. I was accepted for UberX few days ago, and even tho I'm from KW area my first UberX experience happened last Friday night in GTA. Had some business there, so I've decided to stay in GTA and try it for a few hours. Worked from 8pm to 2:00am roughly, my cut was $118, after all fees where subtracted... I'm quite disappointed...

I had several trips where my cut was $3.68. LOL. Both trips had actually full occupancy of the vehicle. Driving 4 people in my car to the bar, they scream and yell in my vehicle for $90 cents per person? I drive nicer luxury vehicle, what pissed me off is that in both instances all three back row passengers used single door to get in and out while sliding with their dirty (muddy) shoes all over my car... Come on, where is the common sense? Cars are made with 4 doors, not one or two. People eat in a car without asking permission, touch my stereo and so on.

So here is the calculation: $118 was my cut, spent about $20 in gas, comes to $$98, then I have to consider that I don't have proper insurance and I will eventually need to pay HST and income tax on these earnings... Plus not to mention that my car needed a good cleaning job. I honestly don't see my self ever doing this again. Only and only when prices are at least 1.5X multiplied (or higher).

Uber is good for Uber and perhaps for riders, all on expense to partners (drivers). The only way to make money is to work on new years eve, snow storm weekends and similar nights when prices are raised. Everyone tho should know the risks and consequences and carefully weight them with potential earnings.

Regards;

Hans

kwzombie

I'm not here to defend Uber but I wouldn't drive a nice car for UberX, its not worth it. I also wouldn't drive in a market where they have cut the rates, also not worth it. Less than $1/km before Uber's take? Nah.

Hans

I'm not here to defend Uber but I wouldn't drive a nice car for UberX, its not worth it. I also wouldn't drive in a market where they have cut the rates, also not worth it. Less than $1/km before Uber's take? Nah.

Agreed and somewhat agreed. I still can't go over $3.68 per ride. What a joke. I felt like beggar on the traffic lights. There is a bit of difference between $0.80 and $1.10 but what you think for how long we will enjoy that difference? Also, KW by-law enforcement is much more active it seems then in GTA...

ivanB

Uber is good if you are using an older corolla that is falling apart, but even then its not worth the headache, especially in waterloo with stupid students

ivanB

Agreed and somewhat agreed. I still can't go over $3.68 per ride. What a joke. I felt like beggar on the traffic lights. There is a bit of difference between $0.80 and $1.10 but what you think for how long we will enjoy that difference? Also, KW by-law enforcement is much more active it seems then in GTA...

Don't worry about KW by law enforcement, all they can do is send you a letter saying not to do it again. Region of Waterloo is Pro Uber since Uber paid a lot of money into this community, being a hi tech sector of Canada, they want Uber here. So by law here is a joke, however be careful going to Guelph, over there you will get a ticket from actual cops.

kwzombie

Re: enforcement; I take Uber to work or back on occasion and none of the est. 8 different drivers I've had have gotten a ticket, a couple got the warning letter from the Region though. If they are still actively enforcing outside their token effort to placate the taxi owners, I should hope they are going after mainly the full timers. To me, Uber's big benefit is to aid in ensuring ride availability during peak times (when you could typically wait up to an hour for a taxi) helping people to make the best choice of not drinking and driving. The Region shouldn't be discouraging that at all. Most councillors and police I've talked to are "for" Uber but they can't just not enforce the law especially when Uber is operating without proper insurance (not necessarily their fault as it isn't actually available for their mostly part time driver driven business model yet) and the Region could be liable if there is an accident, insurers deny the claims, and they have turned a blind eye.

Hans

Re: enforcement; I take Uber to work or back on occasion and none of the est. 8 different drivers I've had have gotten a ticket, a couple got the warning letter from the Region though. If they are still actively enforcing outside their token effort to placate the taxi owners, I should hope they are going after mainly the full timers. To me, Uber's big benefit is to aid in ensuring ride availability during peak times (when you could typically wait up to an hour for a taxi) helping people to make the best choice of not drinking and driving. The Region shouldn't be discouraging that at all. Most councillors and police I've talked to are "for" Uber but they can't just not enforce the law especially when Uber is operating without proper insurance (not necessarily their fault as it isn't actually available for their mostly part time driver driven business model yet) and the Region could be liable if there is an accident, insurers deny the claims, and they have turned a blind eye.

Think you just hit the point "Region could be liable if there is an accident, insurers deny the claims, and they have turned a blind eye". Exactly. So i'm to risk my license, insurance rating, even my property as in the case of some nasty accident. First thing everyone will do is so sue each other and of course deny any coverage for me... All for $3.68 per trip. Uber prices should be at least 50-75% higher to begin with so we can afford proper insurance. I don't know, but I'm done with it except perhaps during new years eve if I don't get too drunk of course :smiles:

biozon

Biozon is an Uber Rep send out here to promote how good Uber is.
Yes.

Now he will start posting fake screen shots from his phone........just watch it.
For what? I'm just suggesting a person to take a better part time job with flexible hours, if this person can find it. If you actually read and understood my message, it would be clear to you.

Just wanted to write down comment where the hell is Biozon preaching it's all hunky dory haha
Well, I have to work for the money Uber paying me for representing them here, don't I? Seriously though, can you suggest a better job with no education requirements and flexible hours (not just flexible, but any hours you want) paying $10.70 per hour? I'll be glad to hear you or anyone else out.

ivanB

Kwzombie just admit that Uber is paying you to post these false claims? Remember there will never be an Uber insurance from Intact or any other insurance company in Ontario.

Dubstep

I think you forgot to deduct insurance, depreciation and possible repair/maintenance expenses as well, so it all might be about $5-$9/hr

kwzombie

I average about $15/HR after expenses for Ubering, but do it so little it's basically beer and takeout money. But I do it because it's fun. If I drove the drunks home I'd probably make more but I'm sure it would be less fun.

Where I make the real money with Uber is being a paid astroturfer on UberPeople. It's obvious from my posts. I have a little shrine to TK where I burn incense, leave offerings of oranges and Tim Horton's, and all those tips I get.

Felixx

I Uber part time mostly. and do realize it may not be worth my time. but reality is I can't find other jobs that gives me the flexibility I have with Uber. Of course it would be so sweet to be able to earn more. but if you think about it, since it's so easy to sign up and if Uber increases base fare, you will see even more drivers signing up hence resulting in less pings. Less pings less money. After Ubering about several months, its less stressful if I only driver when my time allows and try not to go after surge all the time. It will always be somewhere between $15 to $22 per hour. Certain trip may give you even $90 for 1 trip with 3.0x surge. but remember, those are rare.