• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

UberX in Toronto - How much are you earning [ via http://www.uberdriver416.com]

Do you find this calculation ACCURATE?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Slavic Riga

Quite possibly the best way to calculate
what you have earned is
after you have finished driving a shift to see what you have

earned in a night. Then Subtract all your expenses.
Good that you included the Tax into the calculation. Prefer to use the 0.25 cents from water & gum as a buffer for unexpected expenses & not exclusively for water & gum. Reason: Most drivers are done with freebies. New drivers eventually get the gist.

Slavic Riga

Queue all the Uber drivers who will not believe the above is at all accurate as they continue the delusion that are making $25/hour after all expenses.
djino
Figures are reality & approximate of operating costs.
Yes. Some drivers are delusional, but most are Uber propagandists disguising themselves as drivers. FYI - Nobody does propaganda without any monetary compensation.

biozon

LOL, again with this nonsense :smiles:

Let me start by asking why do you include 13% tax into this? Part timers won't make over 30K in a year, so it's not applicable. In fact, not all full timers will.

Also, 25% commission on UberX? This is for newer drivers, my commission is 20%.

Next: depreciation. Yes, for a brand new vehicle - no argue here. But a lot of vehicles used for Uber have already depreciated to the max. Like mine of 2008 with over 200k kms on it. It simply does not have any further depreciation even in case I was ever planning to sell it.

Next: insurance. No, you are already paying for insurance regardless of whether you are using your car for Uber or not. This is not an Uber expense.

Next: Water, gum, etc. Those are irrelevant at all. I keep water in my car and sometimes offer it to customers. Fact is I bought 20 bottles of 0.5 L water in Canadian tire three weeks ago, and I still have 10 bottles left in my locker and three in my car. Nobody wants it. And gum, WTF? Are you a vending machine? No for gum.

What's left is basically gas, maintenance and repairs, which you WRITE OFF along with any other Uber related expenses when filing taxes.

In the end: the fog has lifted, and there's nothing left of this "scary" breakdown.

Reality check: I've been telling this for many months now: this gig is very individual for everyone. Yes, if you are driving a 2016 Camry for Uber, it's a totally different story for you (aside that you should probably get your mental health state checked right away). But for old timers like me the extra expenses except gas are minimal. Also remember about tax write offs for your Uber related expenses (portion of gas, maintenance, repairs, communications and any other that relate to Uber activity).

This is only X, of course. I'm not even going to discuss XL and SELECT, which are roughly double of UberX rate.

biozon

LOL, didn't even notice this as I didn't bother looking at the nonsense depreciation breakdown.

These people can't even do math. And they are trying persuade with their calculations... :rolleyes:

AltheMAD

Hey ppl !!! let me tell this guy how much I make:

I make enough to have second vehicle(used) in my household! without thinking about how much is the gas and oil change and even insurance! ( I pay quite a lot around 200$ for that car insurance)

I ALSO make enough to go on EXTRA vacation with my wife once a year and by her gifts occasionally.

I ALSO like to drive in general, LOVE cars (used mostly because I can tune/custom it a bit the way I want) and I need this switch from routine at my work so Ubering has become sort of a hobby for me!

In addition tho the above I like to help people, I mean my riders so I will try to please them by offering a gum (by the way my wife buys it at Costco and it's still cheap there) and fastest/shortest way I can get them from point A to B!

Slavic Riga

Also, 25% commission on UberX? This is for newer drivers, my commission is 20%.
Lets not take your & mine percentage into commission. Most drivers are now at 25 percent. There are few with 20 percent.
Next: depreciation. Yes, for a brand new vehicle - no argue here. But a lot of vehicles used for Uber have already depreciated to the max. Like mine of 2008 with over 200k kms on it. It simply does not have any further depreciation even in case I was ever planning to sell it.
In other words, no depreciation & maintenance expenses can be claimed when filing taxes. As car was already depreciated & you have to do maintenance anyway.
Next: insurance. No, you are already paying for insurance regardless of whether you are using your car for Uber or not. This is not an Uber expense.
What's left is basically gas, maintenance and repairs, which you WRITE OFF along with any other Uber related expenses when filing taxes.
You have to maintain your car irrespective of whether you are using your car for Uber or not. So, why a claim when filing taxes?
Care to explain.

Reality check: I've been telling this for many months now: this gig is very individual for everyone. Yes, if you are driving a 2016 Camry for Uber, it's a totally different story for you (aside that you should probably get your mental health state checked right away). But for old timers like me the extra expenses except gas are minimal. Also remember about tax write offs for your Uber related expenses (portion of gas, maintenance, repairs, communications and any other that relate to Uber activity).
Agree with the first part (until, gas are minimal).
Disagree with the second part. Cannot state maintenance, communication is expense & Insurance is not part of the Uber expense. Have to factor all the above as expense not cherry pick. Its your car & all the above is required whether you drive for Uber or not.

From CRA perspective they have seven years to ask for supporting docs & reassessment. Uber official operational date July 15, 2016.

Myxx

Hey ppl !!! let me tell this guy how much I make:

I make enough to have second vehicle(used) in my household! without thinking about how much is the gas and oil change and even insurance! ( I pay quite a lot around 200$ for that car insurance)

I ALSO make enough to go on EXTRA vacation with my wife once a year and by her gifts occasionally.

I ALSO like to drive in general, LOVE cars (used mostly because I can tune/custom it a bit the way I want) and I need this switch from routine at my work so Ubering has become sort of a hobby for me!

In addition tho the above I like to help people, I mean my riders so I will try to please them by offering a gum (by the way my wife buys it at Costco and it's still cheap there) and fastest/shortest way I can get them from point A to B!
Now this sounds like my motivation for driving Uber.... after one year of driving Uber, I can validate these points as being real. I have a brand new Honda Odyssey that costs me $110.00 a week to lease from Honda and averages about $34.00 per hour for the 15-20 hours that I drive, and I enjoy what I do which is reflected in my high 4.9+ rating.

Last edited:

UberZF

I've been working with a number of fellow drivers, and other sources,
Putting together a Costing model for cars, to estimate their Cost/KM while driving.

One Item I chose to exclude is the Insurance, which should not be included, unless you drive the car 100% for business.
Maybe if I had more people provide their numbers, it would help Prove/Dispel this data.

But there are Other factors at play.. where even at a "LOSS", Driving Uber may have huge Benefits:
  • For the Retiree/Vet/etc Sitting at home, stir crazy
  • For the Gamers & Anti-social/Isolated, that don't get out much
  • For the ones that go out to Drink/gamble/drugs, where they would have spent more than Double the time they drive.
  • For those that would be out Cruising aimlessly anyways, at least they can make some money off it.

Keep those type of factors in mind especially for part-timers

UberZF

You screwed up in your conversions... - Should be about $0.34/km as someone else pointed out.
And that's pretty much what Government of Canada uses for Taxes....

funny, the $0.54/mine is what IRS uses state side...

biozon

In other words, no depreciation & maintenance expenses can be claimed when filing taxes. As car was already depreciated & you have to do maintenance anyway.
As per the law I'm entitled to claim CCA and maintenance in accordance to the portion of mileage I do for Uber, so this can, was and will be claimed accordingly. CRA doesn't care whether I'm planning to sell the vehicle, etc. It's the law.

You have to maintain your car irrespective of whether you are using your car for Uber or not. So, why a claim when filing taxes? Care to explain.
Sure. It's very simple, when filing taxes through T2125 you state your overall mileage and mileage for business and all your expenses and vehicle CCA. Then the portion of your expenses are being written off taxes according to percentage of the mileage you did for Uber from overall mileage.

Cannot state maintenance, communication is expense & Insurance is not part of the Uber expense. Have to factor all the above as expense not cherry pick. Its your car & all the above is required whether you drive for Uber or not.
There is no cherry pick. See above. It's Uber mileage from overall mileage part. See form T2125. I've filed two years already (2014 and 2015), it was assessed and I got my return, so it's ok.

From CRA perspective they have seven years to ask for supporting docs & reassessment.
Correct, it's just one day short of seven year period. I know all of this in and out, as I've been self employed since 2009 for several years and always filed my taxes myself entirely. Realistically, in order to get an audit for more than 2-3 years in the past, you have to screw up big time, which almost never happens. Default audit for "small fish" is usually 1 year. If they find inconsistencies, a decision can be made to go into 2 or more years. That's why I'm always telling everyone - file taxes in a legit way, don't cheat. It's very simple, there is free software that does all the calculations for you, you just have to keep all your records and receipts, that's all.

Uber official operational date July 15, 2016.
Everyone keeps saying this is the official date, and yet no one has seen any official announcement from the city of Toronto or any legal document that confirms this. I believe it's true, but I just wonder why it's not officially announced yet.