• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

UberTaxi Dilemma... What would you do?

What would you do?

• Refuse service

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Refuse to do it on uberTaxi and offer cash/credit anyway

• Refuse to do it on ubertaxi and give the customer a discount (that still pays me more)

• Refuse to do it on ubertaxi and give the customer a discount (that pays me what i would have made)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Stevie The magic Unicorn

So... this situation has me stumped.

If i was to get an out of town trip on Ubertaxi... What should I do?

I mean... doing a long trip on Ubertaxi is just a bad idea, for the obvious reasons.

I could do it for the same price, or a discount,

What would the customer respond to me telling them i'm not taking them on uber but i'll do the trip if i get paid credit and lower THEIR price?

I mean... That totally looks like the wrong thing to do, but if the customer is getting a discount... Why not?

B - uberlyftdriver

i would explain that Uber takes too much on a trip like this and offer an equal value for pax.
but on the darkside of this, if Uber finds out about your hustle, i think you will lose access.

trust me, this is done all the time but is against the Apps TOS

Lawlet91

My run for that would be that I have them run a card for the mileage rate at $2.20 a mile plus any expected tolls, which would be $.50 higher per mile for us but give the pax a $.20 per mile discount. Plus I’m not worried about the fare hitting the POS system before check off that way as well, since a ran card is typically in the system in 15 minutes and rarely more than an hour

Fozzie

So... this situation has me stumped.

If i was to get an out of town trip on Ubertaxi... What should I do?

I mean... doing a long trip on Ubertaxi is just a bad idea, for the obvious reasons.

I could do it for the same price, or a discount,

What would the customer respond to me telling them i'm not taking them on uber but i'll do the trip if i get paid credit and lower THEIR price?

I mean... That totally looks like the wrong thing to do, but if the customer is getting a discount... Why not?
How far "out of town?"

Daytona? Ocala? Jacksonville? Miami? Atlanta? How it should be handled depends greatly on return trip costs.

Trafficat

I don't do UberTaxi, but for UberX long trips I often just refuse on the grounds of not enough compensation for the trip. I often get offers from passengers without soliciting one.

Another Uber Driver

What is Uber Taxi paying in Orlando?

This is how it works in the Capital of Your Nation:

At the end of the trip, I key in the meter fare. Uber gives to me the entire meter fare plus a tip, if the customer gives one. All that Uber gets is a two dollar user fee that it charges the customer. This is not a big deal in Washington, as it has cost extra to call a cab since the 1920s. The current charge, as mandated by Department of For Hire Vehicles, for calling a cab is two dollars. Essentially, I am running a call job, but I do not get the two dollars. Uber does not charge me anything to use Uber Taxi, so, I do not begrudge Dara his two bananas.

How do you do it in Orlando?

Based on how it works in the Capital of Your Nation, I would have no problem running the job on Uber Taxi.

Stevie The magic Unicorn

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
What is Uber Taxi paying in Orlando?

This is how it works in the Capital of Your Nation:

At the end of the trip, I key in the meter fare. Uber gives to me the entire meter fare plus a tip, if the customer gives one. All that Uber gets is a two dollar user fee that it charges the customer. This is not a big deal in Washington, as it has cost extra to call a cab since the 1920s. The current charge, as mandated by Department of For Hire Vehicles, for calling a cab is two dollars. Essentially, I am running a call job, but I do not get the two dollars. Uber does not charge me anything to use Uber Taxi, so, I do not begrudge Dara his two bananas.

How do you do it in Orlando?

Based on how it works in the Capital of Your Nation, I would have no problem running the job on Uber Taxi.
Uber charges the customer $2.40 a mile and pays $1.73

Another Uber Driver

Uber charges the customer $2.40 a mile and pays $1.73
........right, good, that changes the perspective. Uber is taking just under twenty-eight per-cent. As I understand it, Uber is still taking a cut of the fares in some cities where Uber Taxi is available.

If you want to keep the trip, I would do whatever it took to get more money into your pocket. If the customers balked at the alternatives, and, you wanted to keep them, you might be stuck with them.

Another thing to consider: into how much trouble do you get for refusing to haul with either Uber or the regulators?

You may or may not be worried about getting into trouble with Uber, but, the regulators are a different manner.

Uber may have to change its payout formula. When Uber Taxi launched here, it was taking twenty per-cent. There was a twenty per-cent default tip setting, but, the customer could change it. In addition, Uber was telling us that the Official Word was that we could charge for a call. I knew that was not the case, but, I did it, anyhow. The result was that you got your fare and a paltry tip, in most cases. Uber was having trouble recruiting drivers with this payoff formula. Just before what was then the Taxicab Commission issued its clarification on charging for a call, Uber changed its payout formula for Uber Taxi. It decided that it would let us keep the meter plus whatever tip, and, it would charge the customer a two dollar user fee. The Commission's clarification did allow the application provider to charge whatever user fee it wanted, but, prohibited the drivers from charging for a call when summoned by application.

I did ask the then-Operations Manager if Uber's receiving only two dollars per was sustainable. He responded that it was. At the time, MyTaxi was still here; it charged the driver a flat ninety nine cents per trip.

All of this did occur before UberX launched, here. Uber Black had launched a few years previously.

As Orlando is one of the few places where the cabs are still having success against UberX, I would expect the payout formula to change, assuming that Uber is having difficulty recruiting cab drivers. Here, the cabs have had to retreat, but, are holding at the Line of Retreat.

Lawlet91

........right, good, that changes the perspective. Uber is taking just under twenty-eight per-cent. As I understand it, Uber is still taking a cut of the fares in some cities where Uber Taxi is available.

If you want to keep the trip, I would do whatever it took to get more money into your pocket. If the customers balked at the alternatives, and, you wanted to keep them, you might be stuck with them.

Another thing to consider: into how much trouble do you get for refusing to haul with either Uber or the regulators?

You may or may not be worried about getting into trouble with Uber, but, the regulators are a different manner.

Uber may have to change its payout formula. When Uber Taxi launched here, it was taking twenty per-cent. There was a twenty per-cent default tip setting, but, the customer could change it. In addition, Uber was telling us that the Official Word was that we could charge for a call. I knew that was not the case, but, I did it, anyhow. The result was that you got your fare and a paltry tip, in most cases. Uber was having trouble recruiting drivers with this payoff formula. Just before what was then the Taxicab Commission issued its clarification on charging for a call, Uber changed its payout formula for Uber Taxi. It decided that it would let us keep the meter plus whatever tip, and, it would charge the customer a two dollar user fee. The Commission's clarification did allow the application provider to charge whatever user fee it wanted, but, prohibited the drivers from charging for a call when summoned by application.

I did ask the then-Operations Manager if Uber's receiving only two dollars per was sustainable. He responded that it was. At the time, MyTaxi was still here; it charged the driver a flat ninety nine cents per trip.

All of this did occur before UberX launched, here. Uber Black had launched a few years previously.

As Orlando is one of the few places where the cabs are still having success against UberX, I would expect the payout formula to change, assuming that Uber is having difficulty recruiting cab drivers. Here, the cabs have had to retreat, but, are holding at the Line of Retreat.
Th main difference here in Orlando is that a cab fare is not allowed to be charged an extra pickup fee other than a dollar surcharge at airport pickups. So unless the Florida state law changes to allow otherwise, they will always charge a commission here. Which I should mention would be perfectly fine if it was only say 10% since that would mean we make $2.16/mile making the ubertaxi fares very much favorable to attempt at that point.

Another fact I wish they would stop doing is only charging for mileage and get our per minute rate in there as well since on heavy traffic spots or a request to wait become heavily unfavorable without that

Another Uber Driver

a cab fare is not allowed to be charged an extra pickup fee other than a dollar surcharge at airport pickups.
Even the provider of an application can not charge a fee to use it if there is a taxicab pickup involved, -eh?

So unless the Florida state law changes to allow otherwise

The state gets that much into regulating taxicabs, -eh?

they will always charge a commission here. Which I should mention would be perfectly fine if it was only say 10%
As it is, the commission is a little over twenty-seven per-cent. That is excessive. I might sign up, but would log onto the application only if it were dead slow.

Another fact I wish they would stop doing is only charging for mileage and get our per minute rate in there as well since on heavy traffic spots or a request to wait
Do you high flag the Uber Taxi trips, there?

TwoFiddyMile

I'm doing a medical account for $1.90 per mile, zero idle time. Losing idle time is horrible because It's $0.50 a minute under 15 MPH. And according to city statute I'm supposed to run the meter when a pax is on board.
But I grossed $249 today and this is becoming more common again. I attribute that to the roughly $300 in medical account jobs in doing every week.

Stevie The magic Unicorn

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm doing a medical account for $1.90 per mile, zero idle time. Losing idle time is horrible because It's $0.50 a minute under 15 MPH. And according to city statute I'm supposed to run the meter when a pax is on board.
But I grossed $249 today and this is becoming more common again. I attribute that to the roughly $300 in medical account jobs in doing every week.
Lyft got kicked off the biggest para-transit account in Orlandoish, Thanks to a blanket refusal to comply with regulations.

There's several different ways similar are paid out here, to us.

$2.00 a mile flat rates (no time)
$2.208 a mile (92% of taxi rates) + 41.4c per minute under 20 MPH (again 92%)

$1.90 or $2.00 a mile is survivable, there used to be a taxi company that operated in the (much less regulated) outskirts that charged $10.00 for the first 5 miles + $2.00 a mile with no time.

Right now is the slow season for the accounts (as many of them involve driving special needs children to school the bus service drastically cut back the amount they send us for the summer)

But Orlando, theme parks, money...

While school is in... (for the drivers actually working outside the tourist areas)

For a 9:00 pm to 9:00 AM shift the medical accounts per day is like $35-40ish, (just account portion)
4:00 am to 6 PM (solo 24 hour rental), $150+ in those hours. (just the account portion)

I've gotten enough off the medical accounts to pay for a days worth of expenses on the $150 rental taxis, I've cracked $200 frequently, But not now with the summer being a drag and the bus service covering their own fares fairly well.
Post automatically merged:

One of my customers,

Magic kingdom to their hotel, the price was about the same that uber was asking but zero wait because we were queued up.

I was suspecting that when closing time rolled around there might be a fare or two to warrant waiting at the magic kingdom taxi queue.

But it's not like Magic Kingdom doesn't close every night or anything...

Nor do the taxi drivers always think to queue at Magic Kingdom at closing time...

So it might have been a fluke...

Last edited: