UberSelect

KUBriguy

I haven't had a single Uberselect trip the past 3 months, just Uberx. Any Uberselect drivers out there? Do you find the same thing?

jfinks

I took an uber ride the other day, it was a select capable car, but I ordered X. I talked to the Driver a bit after mentioning I drove uber also. He said he might get 1 select ride per day. It is very rare. Really I think they should just do away with Select (in KC market at least) and have uber X, Uber XL and Uber Black.

The select ride I took a couple weeks ago cost about $16 and it wasn't any special car. It just had leather seats, big deal, It was a tiny little Lexus CT hatchback. I took the select uber just to see what the service was like. Really it is not much different or better than a lot of X cars. I don't think many people in KC, even semi wealthy businessmen/lawyers, really care about a luxury 4 mile, 5 mile or even 10-20 mile ride on normal occasions.

Last edited:

KUBriguy

I took an uber ride the other day, it was a select capable car. I talked to the Driver a bit after mentioning I drove uber also. He said he might get 1 select ride per day. It is very rare. Really I think they should just do away with Select (in KC market at least) and have uber X, Uber XL and Uber Black.

The select ride I took a couple weeks ago cost about $16 and it wasn't any special car. It just had leather seats, big deal, It was a tiny little Lexus CT hatchback. I took the select uber just to see what the service was like. Really it is not much different or better than a lot of X cars.
Thanks for the info! Not very promising for that market. Maybe Kauffman Performing Arts or Plaza on a Friday or Saturday night might be better.

jfinks

It has good intentions. See that that is the thing, you mention Friday/Sat night where there is heavy demand and probably high surge. Select is gonna be way more than X at that point. Say a normal X ride is $10, 3X surge that it is $30. The same non surge Select ride is $20, now that becomes $60. If a rider normally would pay $10 on a non surge X that means they are going about 4-5 miles max. 3x surge the same select ride and now the rider is paying $12-$15 per mile, approximately. It just isn't competitive anymore and a rider would rather call a limo or something.

NGOwner

I don't think that the surges are equal among all rides. X, XL and Select all have their own individual surges. So when it does surge, riders should look to other vehicle types to compare rates.

[NG]Owner

aw99

I think if you drive only select you’re always disadvantaged in our market. Weekdays, it is slow very few select riders. On weekends you could make more on X if it surges.

KUBriguy

I left select only on all day downtown just to see. No pings. I noticed a Lexus CT is not on the select list in KC but I have heard of other vehicles not on the list still able to funcrion as select.

UberRazor

Well crap, maybe I can get my 2013 accord exl added to the select list then (all leather, heated front seats, the works). It receives compliments all of the time. Hmmm

aw99

Well crap, maybe I can get my 2013 accord exl added to the select list then (all leather, heated front seats, the works). It receives compliments all of the time. Hmmm

Honestly your vehicle choice is the wrong one for UberX or any other class. You may be bought it for yourself. To use it for UberX it is expensive for you. You and a 2002 Honda civic driver get paid the same. If I order SELECT and you show up with Honda Accord I would not be happy. I expect Lexus, or Cadillac. I don't think Honda could be listed under SELECT.

jbudb

Would really like to see uber black in KC. My Tahoe LTZ is XL but I have to accept uber x or sit a very long time when it is a non-surge area.

aw99

The problem is the demand for it. Do you think enough people will request black for you to be busy? It would be rough to drive Uber X with your Tahoe. I am sorry for you. People are not happy even with Prius.

jbudb

I get a substantial amount of X riders who have four people and luggage. I wonder what the true X cars do with these folks. At least with Black, they would be requesting a SUV. Not sure about it, but I think it would help.

I have a recent model Honda Pilot that is decked out (leather, sunroof, heated seats) but I was told it is not select in our market. So I don't think a Honda or Toyota can be select in KC no matter how nice they are. Needs to have the fancier emblem (Lexus, Acura, etc.).

UberRazor

Honestly your vehicle choice is the wrong one for UberX or any other class. You may be bought it for yourself. To use it for UberX it is expensive for you. You and a 2002 Honda civic driver get paid the same. If I order SELECT and you show up with Honda Accord I would not be happy. I expect Lexus, or Cadillac. I don't think Honda could be listed under SELECT.

I understand the part about not being happy if I rolled up in my accord and you ordered a select...but I'd put my interior/space/smooth ride up against a Lexus hatchback that someone had mentioned previously. Regardless, I know folks would be upset too.

As for the accord "being expensive for me," I'm not really sure what you mean? Explain it further. How do you if it's expensive for me or not? Perhaps our definitations of expensive are different. I certainly know you're not speaking of the MPG, as I usually haul right around 35 mpg on the daily.

aw99

I understand the part about not being happy if I rolled up in my accord and you ordered a select...but I'd put my interior/space/smooth ride up against a Lexus hatchback that someone had mentioned previously. Regardless, I know folks would be upset too.

As for the accord "being expensive for me," I'm not really sure what you mean? Explain it further. How do you if it's expensive for me or not? Perhaps our definitations of expensive are different. I certainly know you're not speaking of the MPG, as I usually haul right around 35 mpg on the daily.

I am not saying your car is not nice. It is.
Your car could be worth $18, 000 right now. I could buy a little bit older car for $8,000 and make the same amount of money like you do. After four years we both would put 100, 000 miles each on our cars Both our cars would worth nothing by that time. Now you lost $10, 000. That's why it is expensive for you.

Last edited: