Uber's Prop 22 Earnings Guarantee Explained By A Driver

eugpolo

Real math: 2 + 2 = 4
Uber math: 2 + 2 = 3000
I would say Mileage+Time=ScrewTheDriver
Post automatically merged:

Prop 22 a big scam with regard to long rides. Let's say I have a 60 miles ride and it takes an hour to complete without traffic. Before guarantee I get paid 60c/mile plus 21c per minute. Total earnings $48.60. With Prop.22 guarantee I get paid $15.60/hour plus 30c/mile, total earning for the same trip $33.60. Plus maybe a few pennies for the pickup. This is total BS.

The Gift of Fish

Prop 22 a big scam with regard to long rides. Let's say I have a 60 miles ride and it takes an hour to complete without traffic. Before guarantee I get paid 60c/mile plus 21c per minute. Total earnings $48.60. With Prop.22 guarantee I get paid $15.60/hour plus 30c/mile, total earning for the same trip $33.60. Plus maybe a few pennies for the pickup. This is total BS.
Yes, the earnings guarantee has no value for drivers.

It is meaningless to try to apply an hourly guarantee to workers who do not get paid hourly, but "minimum wage + 20% plus 30c per mile" evidently sounded great to voters.

eugpolo

Yes, the earnings guarantee has no value for drivers.

It is meaningless to try to apply an hourly guarantee to workers who do not get paid hourly, but "minimum wage + 20% plus 30c per mile" evidently sounded great to voters.
However, it works for short rides with heavy traffic, I was in a situation many times making $10-12/hr being busy.

Jim1234

Anyone who supports being an independent contractor is a slave to the company store. You might not feel it now, you will as time goes on. This is a long end game by corporations to go back to the time when there were no worker rights. It started with President Reagan with his anti labor rights (even though he started his career as a union member at union wages). Workers have now lost many benefits such as company retirement plans, matching 401K plans, medical insurance, life insurance, disability insurance, unemployment insurance, paid sick leave, paid vacations, perform bonuses, company provided computers and cell phones, etc, etc, etc.
If you think you won’t ever get really sick, if you think you won’t ever have a serious accident, if you think you can continue to drive after 65 years old, if you think the company will never “phase” you out, you are naive and foolish. But you won’t know it until you can’t drive those hours anymore and no one cares.

SHalester

With Prop.22 guarantee I get paid $15.60/hour plus 30c/mile, total earning for the same trip $33.60. Plus maybe a few pennies for the pickup. This is total BS.
think you that totally wrong. Your time/mileage pay rate will not change; not sure where you got you will be paid 'by the hour' at the Prop 22 floor rate.
My airport trips are an hour: after Jan 1st I'll get paid the same; which is higher than Prop 22 minimum, which is figured at the end of a period, not each drive.

Jimmy44

Plus I am sure it effects the use of your mileage as a deduction if your getting paid by the hour.

Gone_in_60_seconds

Plus I am sure it effects the use of your mileage as a deduction if your getting paid by the hour.
What about your dead head fare back to where ever you live or started from? As an employee you would be better to be paid hourly to be compensated for the deadhead mileage returning.

Daisey77

I believe They have to reimburse mileage and expenses. So no, they won't have the mileage to claim at tax time but Uber also can't tax the reimbursement they pay out to you

Jimmy44

What about your dead head fare back to where ever you live or started from? As an employee you would be better to be paid hourly to be compensated for the deadhead mileage returning.
I have not driven since March after 5 years of full time driving.
With my Prius high gas mileage and the low payouts from UL I was actually looking for ways to avoid deductions so as I could show the IRS more profit.
Thus the dead miles back to my home area gave me to many deductions ie mileage as to make to that trip practically small or no profit.

Jimmy44

I believe They have to reimburse mileage and expenses. So no, they won't have the mileage to claim at tax time but Uber also can't tax the reimbursement they pay out to you
In my five years of driving my mileage deduction was crucial to my business model.
When they start handing out the vaccines I will return and tweek my business model to adapt to the current situation.

SHalester

They have to reimburse mileage and expenses
under Prop 22? No to the expenses, yes to portion of the IRS mileage deduct. Net effect one doesn't get to use the full IRS amount as an expense, which could suck. And getting paid for some mileage is kinda a nit.

Best part: not an employee.

Jimmy44

under Prop 22? No to the expenses, yes to portion of the IRS mileage deduct. Net effect one doesn't get to use the full IRS amount as an expense, which could suck. And getting paid for some mileage is kinda a nit.

Best part: not an employee.
Sounds like a hybrid job

Jimmy44

not sure what that even means. RS is a job, but it ain't an employee/employer job. For me it is the absolute best part-time job. And now it will stay that way for a while.
The bottom line is you are happy because you accept ride-sharing for what it is.
I am glad it's working for you.
Be safe

SHalester

The bottom line is you are happy because you accept ride-sharing for what it is.
well, of course. When I started and when I didn't see the destination until I started the ride THAT made my OCD unhappy. But then we got it 'free' and it was full info. In fact, more info than one could really digest in a short period of time (when it was new). That made for less unhappiness. Setting your own surge is kinda nice as well. Drive pass seems it could work as well. All things for Calif, so far.

As a pt gig, it works. As a full time, I need the income, it would epically suck.