Uber's Policy on Food, Drinks, etc

Tom Harding

I wanted to know Uber's policy or position on riders with food or beverages in my car. After several messages to support, I finally got an answer that was not a canned one. This is their response:

Sorry for all the confusion here, Thomas.

Let me clarify all your questions directly for you.

For uberPOOL trips, please note that its within our policy that the maximum passengers per pick up is two. That means that only two passengers are allowed to go inside your vehicle every pick up for a maximum of four passengers for a simultaneous uberPOOL match.

A rider can bring a bottle of alcoholic beverage inside your vehicle however it's also against our policy to drink or open it while inside your vehicle. If this ever happens to you in the future, please let us know and we'll assist you regarding this.

Riders drinking non-alcoholic beverages or eating food in your vehicle is allowed in terms of our policy but it is within your personal preferences whether to allow them or not. However do note that letting riders drink or eat inside your vehicle can lead to better ratings since this can count as a special ride experience. If a rider makes a mess, you can also write to us about it together with photos of the mess and we'll take it from there.

If you suspect a rider having an alcoholic beverage in a discrete container, clarify it to the rider that drinking alcoholic beverages are not allowed inside an uber vehicle. If you can somehow verify that it is indeed an alcoholic beverage it would follow the same process as the one indicated above.

For smoking, we do not have a certain policy regarding this however as the vehicle owner this would also fall within your personal discretion. You can request a rider to exit your vehicle in case they do not follow your personal rules inside your vehicle however please consider going the extra mile for every ride.

You can read more about our Community Guidelines by clicking here.

I hope I clarified your questions about our policies. If you have other questions or concerns, don't hesitate to write back.

Last edited:

OneRideOneVomit

Uber will always have as few rules against the rider as possible. They want them to be able to do anything they want in your car. They put as much burden as possible on the drivers cuz it is in Uber's best interest to do so.

jester121

Riders drinking non-alcoholic beverages or eating food in your vehicle is allowed in terms of our policy but it is within your personal preferences whether to allow them or not. However do note that letting riders drink or eat inside your vehicle can lead to better ratings since this can count as a special ride experience. If a rider makes a mess, you can also write to us about it together with photos of the mess and we'll take it from there.

By "we'll take it from there", they mean "We'll deny your cleaning fee request and leave you to clean up the mess on your own, costing you time and money out of your pocket".

Stlman

Pretty simple here F Uber and what they say! If you are trying to keep your car clean as I do that means no eating in the car. It's common sense no alcoholic beverages opened in my car that's the law. As far as smoking, I don't smoke so absolutely no smoking or vaping in my car.

pengduck

I wanted to know Uber's policy or position on riders with food or beverages in my car. After several messages to support, I finally got an answer that was not a canned one. This is their response:

Let me clarify all your questions directly for

For uberPOOL trips, please note that its within our policy that the maximum passengers per pick up is two. That means that only two passengers are allowed to go inside your vehicle every pick up for a maximum of four passengers for a simultaneous uberPOOL match.

A rider can bring a bottle of alcoholic beverage inside your vehicle however it's also against our policy to drink or open it while inside your vehicle. If this ever happens to you in the future, please let us know and we'll assist you regarding this.

If you suspect a rider having an alcoholic beverage in a discrete container, clarify it to the rider that drinking alcoholic beverages are not allowed inside an uber vehicle. If you can somehow verify that it is indeed an alcoholic beverage it would follow the same process as the one indicated above.

For smoking, we do not have a certain policy regarding this however as the vehicle owner this would also fall within your personal discretion. You can request a rider to exit your vehicle in case they do not follow your personal rules inside your vehicle however please consider going the extra mile for every ride.

I hope I clarified your questions about our policies. If you have other questions or concerns, don't hesitate to write back.
Your car, your rules!

chitown73

Another perfect example of how Uber's claim that they're "just a technology company" and that drivers are independent contractors is total bs. Sorry but its my car, my rules and if a pax don't like it they can get the f**k out.

quesie

Why did you even need that? It's against the law in the state of Illinois for ANYopen liquor in a car unless there is a physical barrier between driver and passenger, like in a limo. As to food, you are an independent contractor, what Uber allows/disallows means nothing.

UberBeemer

"If you suspect a rider having an alcoholic beverage in a discrete container, clarify it to the rider that drinking alcoholic beverages are not allowed inside an uber vehicle. If you can somehow verify that it is indeed an alcoholic beverage it would follow the same process as the one indicated above."

I call BS on this one. I sent photos of beers riders snuck into my car in their purses, and left half empty in my back seat, and uber did ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.

chuber1

"It will help our rating "for what ?
Rating is not going to pay my bills. Sorry uber my rule apply here.

lakersfan1

Open containers is why I stopped taking POOL rides after 7PM. Always some fool with a 40oz or Boones Farm hitting on my female passengers.

But I let a female eat a nasty hamburger in my backseat all the way to Tinley Park from ORD. She asked. She tipped me $16. OKAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

MrCity

Your car, your rules!

This is the way it goes. No food, no liquor, no open containers. You got coffee, have it in a container. No trash.

Basically, do not not do anything that hurts the inside of my car or the ride is over. If Uber wants to start telling me what I can and can't do with the inside of my car besides common sense, then raise the boost and stop flooding the streets with drivers.

lakersfan1

then raise the boost and stop flooding the streets with drivers.
F the Boost!

Supply and Demand is just that! Stop spoon feeding the millenials. If they don't want to pay surge prices, ride with the homeless people pissing in the corner of the subway like the rest of us!

Advertising for new riders instead of drivers? What would be the point? We should all be giving each other rides and jerking each other off, because that's what it's come to.

UberBeemer

This is the way it goes. No food, no liquor, no open containers. You got coffee, have it in a container. No trash.

Basically, do not not do anything that hurts the inside of my car or the ride is over. If Uber wants to start telling me what I can and can't do with the inside of my car besides common sense, then raise the boost and stop flooding the streets with drivers.

They could triple the everyday pay and it is still not enough for them to hold sway over the conduct I allow in my car. If I don't like it, the rider gets only as far as the next gas station or 7-11.

SuperStar3000

Are they actually suggesting that we permit smoking as a way to get better ratings or improve the passenger's experience ?!?

Mad Medic

Pretty simple here F Uber and what they say! If you are trying to keep your car clean as I do that means no eating in the car. It's common sense no alcoholic beverages opened in my car that's the law. As far as smoking, I don't smoke so absolutely no smoking or vaping in my car.
Haven't had issues until a pool rider last week. She and her friend just start opening bags of chips and flaming hots, passing around, spilling on my floor, seats.

Not to mention that breath stank, that certain nasty smell eating certain foods. Plus - the licking crumbs from fingers and lip smacking.

Told pool rider # 1 who had to share the ride "still glad u chose pool to save a buck?". He said next time X.

At least ASK the driver "Excuse me. Would you mind if we eat in your car?" I make a case by case determination on snacks but NEVER meals. I usually tell pax I don't mind running you thru that taco bell drive thru if I'm car 3 or greater so thst you can get some food for your drop off destination but please don't eat in my car, as Im already doing you a favor that we don't get paid extra to do (tip solicit) by spending time in a drive thru or waiting at a gas station, etc.

Sometimes pax offers to buy my food at drive thru. Used to never accept and now I always replenish my Diet soda, maybe get some food on their dime, but not often if just mcdonalds or taco bell. Prefer a cash tip $5.00 for doing the favor.

I don't like people eating in my car. At least ask me, this way I can say how normally even I dont eat in my own car so please respect my vehicle and do not make any mess.

I also hate the pax that touches my radio. How many of you drivers allow that?

After the 1st few pax did it when I was still new, groups of 4 and guy in front seat just reaching over and changing stations, volume, base, balance, etc. I put a stop to that. You ask, ill put whatever you want on.

You dont ask, then keep your hands off my dial. It's called ride share.

Just start eating without asking, I'll say something. You want taxi perks- then hail a dirty cab

Chicago-uber

Haven't had issues until a pool rider last week. She and her friend just start opening bags of chips and flaming hots, passing around, spilling on my floor, seats.

Not to mention that breath stank, that certain nasty smell eating certain foods. Plus - the licking crumbs from fingers and lip smacking.

Told pool rider # 1 who had to share the ride "still glad u chose pool to save a buck?". He said next time X.

At least ASK the driver "Excuse me. Would you mind if we eat in your car?" I make a case by case determination on snacks but NEVER meals. I usually tell pax I don't mind running you thru that taco bell drive thru if I'm car 3 or greater so thst you can get some food for your drop off destination but please don't eat in my car, as Im already doing you a favor that we don't get paid extra to do (tip solicit) by spending time in a drive thru or waiting at a gas station, etc.

Sometimes pax offers to buy my food at drive thru. Used to never accept and now I always replenish my Diet soda, maybe get some food on their dime, but not often if just mcdonalds or taco bell. Prefer a cash tip $5.00 for doing the favor.

I don't like people eating in my car. At least ask me, this way I can say how normally even I dont eat in my own car so please respect my vehicle and do not make any mess.

After the 1st few pax did it when I was still new, groups of 4 and guy in front seat just reaching over and changing stations, volume, base, balance, etc. I put a stop to that. You ask, ill put whatever you want on.

Just start eating without asking, I'll say something. You want taxi perks- then hail a dirty cab

Heck.. I don't even like when my family eats in the car. Now why would I let these pax eat in my car. Flash me some cash or food and I might change my mind.

pengduck

Take pictures and request a cleaning fee!

UberBeemer

Are they actually suggesting that we permit smoking as a way to get better ratings or improve the passenger's experience ?!?
Indirectly, yes. Because it's all about us making their company look good. Even if we get cancer from second hand smoke.

"I also hate the pax that touches my radio. How many of you drivers allow that?"

This has become my #2 peeve, but a close second to eating. I hate that a rider assumes it's ok. I had a girl reach over and try to turn on my wipers once, and I had to concentrate on not slapping her hand away. I pointed out that the little green light indicates they're already on in rain sensing mode, and I can see just fine, thank you.