Ubers next class action law suit

Optimus Uber

It will be the passengers. Being charged a different amount than what they are paying the drivers for the trip.

I wrote in another thread about one of my regulars paying $35.60 for a trip from SM to Century City when my invoice stated $31.62 and that is what he normally pays.

He sent emails to uber regarding this issue (I say emails because we all know it takes a few to reach an English speaking human being).
After attaching his receipts that show how much he has paid for his daily commute in the past they agreed to reimburse him the difference.

He told them, from now on, his receipts need to be itemized. None of this flat rate BS. Not sure if they'll do it. But this morning it actually quoted him correctly.

He's a banker and stated that he has all his receipts. Mostly because they're all digital and gee keeps them in his uber file.

Today I picked him up and his quote was $31.60 instead of $35.60. He said they fixed it for this trip but imagine all the people they are charging more than what the actual costs are.

He stated he will be talking to legal counsel on a possible class action law suit.

Imagine that, uber, just one mess up after another. That's why the one word that describes uber is incompetent.

If there was any one company that is its own worse enemy, it's uber.

I suggest to all passengers to make uber give you the detailed blow out of your trip. Including time, miles and the amount they charged for the trip. Calculate it for yourself and see how it correlates with this flat fare they are charging you.

Guess what passengers, it's not just the drivers they have bent over. They have left over lube for you too.

We would be sympathetic, but we don't have enough tip money to care about you. Just thought I'd let you know. Now the drivers are laughing at you instead of you laughing at us.

Last edited:

Showa50

All this because a large percentage of their users are too cheap to pay a reasonable rate for a ride.

Even though Uber has enough money to supplement driver pay via incentives, their latest scheme with riders and quoted fares is going to blow up in their face. All it takes is one lawsuit.

mandreyka

It will be the passengers. Being charged a different amount than what they are paying the drivers for the trip.

I wrote in another thread about one of my regulars paying $35.60 for a trip from SM to Century City when my invoice stated $31.62 and that is what he normally pays.

He sent emails to uber regarding this issue (I say emails because we all know it takes a few to reach an English speaking human being).
After attaching his receipts that show how much he has paid for his daily commute in the past they agreed to reimburse him the difference.

He told them, from now on, his receipts need to be itemized. None of this flat rate BS. Not sure if they'll do it. But this morning it actually quoted him correctly.

He's a banker and stated that he has all his receipts. Mostly because they're all digital and gee keeps them in his uber file.

Today I picked him up and his quote was $31.60 instead of $35.60. He said they fixed it for this trip but imagine all the people they are charging more than what the actual costs are.

He stated he will be talking to legal counsel on a possible class action law suit.

Imagine that, uber, just one mess up after another. That's why the one word that describes uber is incompetent.

I suggest to all passengers to make uber give you the detailed blow out of your trip. Including time, miles and the amount they charged for the trip. Calculate it for yourself and see how it correlates with this flat fare they are charging you.

Guess what passengers, it's not just the drivers they have bent over. They have left over lube for you too.

We would be sympathetic, but we don't have enough tip money to care about you. Just thought I'd let you know. Now the drivers are laughing at you instead of you laughing at us.
How is it he pays the exact same price every time on select ? I know it's he same route etc but time is always different. Are the doing flat rates up there?

toi

uber will issue a template statement.

Optimus Uber

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
How is it he pays the exact same price every time on select ? I know it's he same route etc but time is always different. Are the doing flat rates up there?
Yep flat rates now. But he's always around $32 for his morning run. They started charging him $35.60 which kissed him off.

uberalles60

Another side of this coin is that since they are quoting the price of the ride up front, riders are shying away from Select rides. This is what I have been encountering. Also the fact that now in stead of posting "no UberX available" it just says " set pickup location" pax are not choosing Select like they used to, but instead just hitting the button and it keeps requesting until an UberX becomes available.

I know that Uber is trying to get away from informing pax about surge by just quoting the price, but I think it is hurting the Select driver who might have gotten that ride.

On another note "sorry to deviate" but pax have mentioned to me that when signing up for Uber on the computer, they are asked what percent they would like to designate as a tip, without tell them that tipping is not included. Have had a few riders tell me that. Anybody else experience this?

Subjugator

Sounds like tipping in experimentation stage. I'm not sure what's going on with this flat rates thing though. Quote upfront makes sense, but only for maybe surge freeze. I don't see how flat rate is a good idea. I see the potential to exploit it. Like say get to destination an thend go somewhere else. If I'm right, driver would get compensated by the rate and not what the passenger is quoted. So they would basically get free rides.

mandreyka

What happens to a flat rate of you get stuck in a ton of unexpeded traffic or are forced to make a detour ?

Subjugator

All I know is uber pays drivers separate from what passengers pay uber. We get minute and mile with surge the passenger accepts ride at. If uber doing some promotion like half off or flat rates, we don't get paid by that. Just like we get paid on medals incentives and riders.pay normal.

Euius

99.999999% of riders don't care. If you told them you earned a single penny for their $20 ride, they'd just nod and say have a nice day.

And Uber will tell him to go screw. Uber has made it clear they're moving toward all rides being flat fares. No display of surge. No per minute or per mile charge displayed to the rider. It will work for UberX and Select like it already works for UberPool: The rider is given a dollar quote when they request, and that amount will be the final amount they pay unless they change the address.

Drivers will be affected because there's no way to prove that the surge being offered (in the ping) to the driver is the same being charged to the rider, and drivers can expect the forced use of Uber's navigation (at least for Apple) for all drives.

This actually means nothing, long term. Uber throws money at all rider complaints. For example, almost all complaints about cancellation fees are refunded either with money or ride credits. Drivers don't see it, because they don't zero out the driver money for the no-show and the driver still gets paid.

"What the actual costs are" are whatever they were quoted when they started the ride, independent of what the driver is paid.

What likely happened is the area he made the request from was surging that morning, and support just said "here have money, go away"

On another note "sorry to deviate" but pax have mentioned to me that when signing up for Uber on the computer, they are asked what percent they would like to designate as a tip, without tell them that tipping is not included. Have had a few riders tell me that. Anybody else experience this
That's for UberTaxi. It's obvious it's only for UberTaxi when they sign up. Riders are just not very observant.

Check it yourself at https://riders.uber.com/payment

Your preferred gratuity will be applied to any future TAXI trips that you request through Uber. This will apply to TAXI fares only (not Black, SUV, or uberX) and be paid to your driver. Gratuity only applies in certain countries.