Uber's New Automatic Sign Out from Driver App

Does anyone else do this?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

The Gift of Fish

After declining/ignoring three consecutive pings, the app used to just take me offline. No big deal, I just clicked Go Online again. Now, though, the app asks me if I am still "confirming requests". No, Uber, I do not need to confirm requests; I am not the one making them. What they mean is "am I still accepting requests", to which the answer is, "if they are going to keep being the same shit requests you've been sending me so far, then no". But Uber's app developers did not think to include such a response button in their app. I digress.

After the second rejected ping, the app asks me if I am still "confirming" requests, and then threatens to log me completely out of the app if I don't accept the next one. This is an inconvience, because as well as having to paste my password back into the app, a logout/login involves Uber resetting all of the defaults in the app (ping volume reset to full blast, navigation set to AlwaysLost® Uber nav, nagging voice guidance on etc etc.

So what I do now, if I've already rejected two consecutive pings and received the logout warning, is automatically accept the third ping, regardless of how bad/far the location, surge or pax rating, and either turn GPS off or just drive around / sit where I am until the pax cancels if the ping does not meet my requirements. I realise that this may inconvenience pax, but so do Uber's shenanigans with the logout trick, and my convenience is more important than pax'. A little of my time is wasted doing the accept-and-wait, although this is mitigated by the fact that I sometimes get the $4 cancellation fee when they finally do cancel.

Anyway, does anyone else do this?

Last edited:

EngineerAtHeart

I've never had to app log me out of the driver app. Unless this is a new thing.
Post automatically merged:

So what I do now, if I've already rejected two consecutive pings and received the logout warning, is automatically accept the third ping, regardless of how bad/far the location, surge or pax rating, and either turn GPS off or just drive around / sit where I am until the pax cancels if the ping does not meet my requirements. I realise that this may inconvenience pax, but so do Uber's shenanigans with the logout trick, and my convenience is more important than pax'. A little of my time is wasted doing the accept-and-wait, although this is mitigated by the fact that I sometimes get the $4 cancellation fee when they finally do cancel.
I don't recommend doing that.

Last edited:

dauction

Interesting ..looks like Uber is working to stop cherry picking ...Take the work we send you or we wont send you any work... That's How the Trucking Industry has worked for decades with Independent Contractors

reg barclay

After declining/ignoring three consecutive pings, the app used to just take me offline. No big deal, I just clicked Go Online again. Now, though, the app asks me if I am still "confirming requests". No, Uber, I do not need to confirm requests; I am not the one making them. What they mean is "am I still accepting requests", to which the answer is, "if they are going to keep being the same shit requests you've been sending me so far, then no". But Uber's app developers did not think to include such a response button in their app. I digress.

After the second rejected ping, the app asks me if I am still "confirming" requests, and then threatens to log me completely out of the app if I don't accept the next one. This is an inconvience, because as well as having to paste my password back into the app, a logout/login involves Uber resetting all of the defaults in the app (ping volume reset to full blast, navigation set to AlwaysLost® Uber nav, nagging voice guidance on etc etc.

I drive in 2 neighbouring states. In one of them that happens (started recently), in the other it doesn't. So I'm guessing it's region specific. It's an inconvenience getting logged out completely, but I think it's still easier than the alternative. In any case, wouldn't going offline for a split second after the second ping rejection reset it and solve the problem?

The Gift of Fish

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I drive in 2 neighbouring states. In one of them that happens (started recently), in the other it doesn't. So I'm guessing it's region specific. It's an inconvenience getting logged out completely, but I think it's still easier than the alternative. In any case, wouldn't going offline for a split second after the second ping rejection reset it and solve the problem?
The logout hassle can be mitigated by:
-pasting in the password each time
-preventing the app from blasting pings at full volume with the Volume Control app
-muting nav voice with the same app

Still have to go into settings to change the nav back to Google Maps though. Maybe a shortcut generator app can make this more of a one or two click process.

Because my volume controls are now forked up by Uber with this new trick I can no longer use my main phone for Spotify or Mp3, so I bought a cheap Android that I now tether and use just for music.

So now things are nearly back to normal and the effects of this latest tea baggery from Uber is minimised.

reg barclay

The logout hassle can be mitigated by:
-pasting in the password each time
-preventing the app from blasting pings at full volume with the Volume Control app
-muting nav voice with the same app

Still have to go into settings to change the nav back to Google Maps though. Maybe a shortcut generator app can make this more of a one or two click process.
I use Waze as default and the logout doesn't appear to affect that for me. I noticed my Uber nav stops being muted and resets to default though. I just turn the media volume off to solve that, but if you're listening to music through the phone that presumably wouldn't help. Again though, it's three pings in a row to get tossed off the app, so if you go offline for a moment after rejecting 2 pings wouldn't it reset?

MadTownUberD

The Trendy Transporter
I just go offline until I'm in an area where I can pretty much accept most pings. I doubt you're making a big difference in outcomes by declining most pings.

The Gift of Fish

I doubt you're making a big difference in outcomes by declining most pings.
On the contrary; I make a very big difference to the only outcome I care about - my revenue. When I am in my home area:

A lot of pings here come from one of two high schools. I decline all of those requests, obviously.
I decline all pickups at local the local Target and Costco, again for obvious reasons.
I decline any ride over 5 minutes away.
I decline any ride from hospitals or medical centers. Too often the pax from there need trained transport personnel, not rideshare.
I decline any pax with less than 4.5 rating.

There are many different ride disqualifications. If I am in the city then I am much more amenable to accepting pings but, again, it depends where the ping location is.

Last edited:

tohunt4me

Too bad they DONT STOP MONITORING YOUR PHONE !

MadTownUberD

The Trendy Transporter
On the contrary; I make a very big difference to the only outcome I care about - my revenue. When I am in my home area:

A lot of pings here come from one of two high schools. I decline all of those requests, obviously.
I decline all pickups at local the local Target and Costco, again for obvious reasons.
I decline any ride over 5 minutes away.
I decline any ride from hospitals or medical centers. Too often the pax from there need trained transport personnel, not rideshare.
I decline any pax with less than 4.5 rating.

There are many different ride disqualifications. If I am in the city then I am much more amenable to accepting pings but, again, it depends where the ping location is.
I am getting more selective too, but it's mostly based on ratings and in some cases locations. There is one grocery store in particular that's almost guaranteed to be a several-cart pickup. And when I'm near campus I decline obvious fraternity/sorority pings. Other than that I take pretty much anything, including "low rent district". I think it really depends on your area. Most trips in Madison are pretty safe bets.

Do you like somewhere that has high Rideshare traffic, such that you can sit at home and decided on pings vs. housework etc.? That might explain part of it too. I pretty much have to drive into Madison, although I do that anyway for various reasons, and in the couple of hours I have available between obligations I want to do trips...not sit and wait.

Stevie The magic Unicorn

Ignoring long pings is a constant around here.

In 15 minutes I could ignore three separate 30 minute pings and get a 10 minute ping

Not rocket science to figure out 30 minute pings are terrible

Drivincrazy

In LV, I have a hard time accepting anything over 5 minutes...if it's two miles away, you start off minus $1.20. If I need to complete an incentive...I'll go a little longer.

The Gift of Fish

It looks like they have turned off this "feature". I guess they discovered that, if they want to get drivers to accept more pings, logging them out of the driver app probably isn't the best way to do it. Dumbasses.

krbjmpr

I was bichin about it to Uber Helpless earlier today. Says I might have an app problem, and he is going to send steps to reset it. Yeah, right. On a different note, does the new update remove the 3 strikes thing, or did it disappear this morning on its own accord? (Ref TGOF feature off post)

The Gift of Fish

I was bichin about it to Uber Helpless earlier today. Says I might have an app problem, and he is going to send steps to reset it. Yeah, right. On a different note, does the new update remove the 3 strikes thing, or did it disappear this morning on its own accord? (Ref TGOF feature off post)
I started noticing no more sign off yesterday. I doubt that it has anything to do with an app update; it is most likely controlled server-side at Uber towers

krbjmpr

That is what I was thinking, being server side. I was being threatened as of 3:22am this morning. I may get kicked, but Maxymo turns back on faster than I can.