1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Uber's Napoleon Moment

Discussion in 'News' started by Ca$h4, Jul 13, 2017.

1. Ca$h4

Ca$h4 Well-Known Member

https://www.bloomberg.com/gadfly/articles/2017-07-13/uber-s-napoleon-moment

Uber's Napoleon Moment

By Leila Abboud
    July 13, 2017 10:05 AM EDT

He probably wouldn't agree, but it's fortunate in one way for Travis Kalanick that he's no longer in charge of Uber Technologies Inc. At least he won't have to deal with the inevitable Napoleon comparisons that would have come his way this week.

Just like the French military leader, Uber has had to beat a hasty retreat from Russia. After a similar withdrawal from China, it's clear that world domination doesn't come easy, even for a company that revolutionized the way people get from A to B.

That said, Uber's sale of its Russian ride-hailing business to local search giant Yandex NV is the smart thing to do. It is strategically backing away from an unwinnable market, where the government favors domestic players.

This is similar to last year's China exit, when Uber sold to Didi Chuxing. The California-based company will keep a 36.6 percent stake in a newly merged Russian business, valued at $3.7 billion after capital injections from both parties. Since Russia isn't nearly as big a market as China, handing over to Yandex probably won't cut Uber's losses by much. Uber told the Financial Times it had lost about $170 million in the Russian market overall. Chinese losses were in the billions.

The New York Times reported that the Yandex deal was largely negotiated before Kalanick was deposed. This highlights the malaise at Uber. Other profound questions need to be answered about its future, but the toppling of its founder after a string of scandals leaves it in a strange limbo. It needs to hire a CEO, general counsel and chief financial officer. It's hard to imagine a strategic decision as big as the Russia deal being made now. There's no one to make it.

If Uber has become less ambitious globally, that has very big implications. India is another market with well-funded and tenacious competitors. Local operator Ola raised $250 million from Softbank in April. Uber might have to swallow a painful truth: that smartphone-powered ride-hailing businesses don't have high competitive barriers. It's not a winner-takes-all market.
    Its go-it-alone approach on self-driving car research also looks a little quixotic given the competition from the autos and tech industry giants. The purchase of Otto, a self-driving truck company, has turned into an expensive legal distraction after Google parent Alphabet Inc. claimed that Otto's founder stole its trade secrets.

Maybe a more collaborative approach to autonomous vehicle development would help. Uber's main U.S. competitor, Lyft Inc., has teamed up with Google's Waymo and General Motors Co. Kalanick would no doubt hate the idea of being like modest little Lyft, which was valued at $7.5 billion in its last funding round.

A re-calibration of Uber's ambitions might make its investors anxious too. You need an awful lot of expectation to justify a valuation of about $69 billion valuation. Roughly $15 billion of private capital was meant to power it to dominance. A more modest, kinder Uber may not be the world-changing force that Kalanick wanted it to be. Investors might have cause to regret it too.

2. Fubernuber

Fubernuber Well-Known Member

Its biggest problem are its investors. When they realize uber is a taxi company not a tech company who got to the top by charging riders less than Half of its smaller competitors and subsidizing drivers in the meantime, the money supply will dry up and the lawsuits will crush it.

3. Cigars

Cigars Well-Known Member

"It needs to hire a CEO, general counsel and chief financial officer"

That makes me wonder who has been making all the decisions since Travis got fired.
    Since then, tips, insurance, booking fees increase, 50%+ of some fares skimmed by Uber, 2 minute timer, etc.

These were all someones ideas that executive management said no to, until Uber lacked executive management.
    Is there a battle royal among senior managers for power?
    Please do not pin your hopes on them, they are the ones responsible for implementing every unethical/illegal move that Uber made when kalinick was CEO. And they implemented these obviously unethical procedures without remorse.
    Each department seems to be trying different things without a cohesive strategy.

Te Board needs to hire new executive management. These need to replace every unethical senior manager below them.
    If the board does not hire quickly and empower the new executives to remove the ones below that joyously implemented all the unethical actions, then the Board shamelessly has failed again.

tohunt4me likes this.
  4. Ca$h4

Ca$h4 Well-Known Member

Uber is leaderless. Nobody wants to run Uber because Uber has built a degrading culture. Wants to degrade Drivers benefits and rights by misclassifying Drivers. Wants to degrade the law by corrupting Gov't officials. Almost everything about Uber is degrading. Uber Math. Uber Accounting. No mention of Uber's legal dept that allowed all the degradation.

[​IMG]

5. Brooklyn

Brooklyn Well-Known Member

False.

Looks like Ariana Huffington is salivating at the mouth for the chance to take over.

Rakos and tohunt4me like this.

6. Ca$h4

Ca$h4 Well-Known Member

K girl 213, tohunt4me and Brooklyn like this.
  7. Ubereater

Ubereater Active Member

Closing down sale. Everything must go.

8. ABC123DEF

ABC123DEF Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    And cheap! No need to tip!

Ca$h4 and tohunt4me like this.
  9. tohunt4me

tohunt4me Well-Known Member

UBER
    UBER FIRE SALE !

2 for1

Dear Uber " Partners"

Your checks may be late next week . . .

So .. . .
    how much did Uber lose in the 2nd quarter ?

More or less than the 1st quarter ?

Interesting photograph . . .
    Looks like she is on her way OUT OF THE PICTURE.

( im a big fan of Symbolism)

Lol
    So you wanted to be RINGMASTER ?

Start juggling snakes . . .NOW !

( she Set this stage ! Now, she must Perform on it)(perform or perish)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
    K girl 213, ABC123DEF and Ca$h4 like this.
  10. westsidebum

westsidebum Well-Known Member

q

The cheaper than a cab strategy meets its Waterloo. Travis like Napoleon left a trail of destruction delusional lies, to feed his meglomania before being exiled. Sustainably clearly means a smaller uber with realistic rates that give drivers fair compensation rather than shared pain in trying to drive out the competition in a quixotic race to the bottom.

11. tohunt4me

World Bankers decided Napoleons fate.
    The Louisiana purchase was a desperate attempt to finance Napoleons efforts to salvage loss.

History repeats.

Bankers reuse formulas that work.

" Fate of Nations"
    Fate of Business.

Attached Files:

12. westsidebum

westsidebum Well-Known Member

Campaigns both military and business cost money. Americas rise was when Briton ran out of money after WW I. Travis is guilty of massive overreach fueled by the hype of things like self driving cars and right before his exile the ludicrous flying car concept.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
    tohunt4me likes this.
  13. tohunt4me

To the victors go the spoils.

Wonder what taxes will be like in a Conquered Nation ?

14. Ubereater

Ubereater Active Member

I reckon they should hire Chet from the "From dusk till Dawn" movie, the spruker dude at the Titty Twister bar... For a quick sale:

"All right, uber, uber, uber! Come on in uber lovers! Here at the Titty Twister we're slashing uber in half! Give us an offer on our vast selection of uber, this is a Uber blow out! All right, we got white uber, black uber, Spanish uber, yellow uber, we got hot uber, cold uber, we got wet uber, we got

[sniffs]

smelly uber, we got hairy uber, bloody uber, we got snappin' uber, we got silk uber, velvet uber, Naugahyde uber, we even got horse uber, dog uber, chicken uber! Come on, you want uber, come on in, Uber lovers! If we don't got it, you don't want it!

Attention uber shoppers! Take advantage of our penny uber sale! If you buy one piece of uber at the regular price, you get another piece of uber of equal or lesser value for only a penny! Try and beat Uber for a penny! If you can find cheaper Uber anywhere else, f*** it !"

tohunt4me and ABC123DEF like this.
  15. yojimboguy

yojimboguy Well-Known Member

This is only a temporary setback. I'm confident Uber is more corrupt than Russia and China combined!

tohunt4me and ABC123DEF like this.
  16. rembrandt

rembrandt Well-Known Member

When you become too big as a private company, always keep your head down and never challenge the establishment or you get shot. Uber has gone to the extent of becoming an outlaw and it is more than likely to suffer the fate of Sundance kid.

tohunt4me, K girl 213 and ABC123DEF like this.
  17. tohunt4me

You may be right.
    But
    Uber doesnt have State Executions
    Or Siberia.

Uber always was an Outlaw
    Outlaw that became Establishment.

koyotemohn likes this.
  18. Strange Fruit

Strange Fruit Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Our economy allows degradation. Uber isn't special, or exceptionally unethical. This forum blows my mind sometimes.
    Corrupted by what? They're a business. In the West, businesses are amoral. They do what they can to succeed financially. For centuries a major factor is how well u can exploit labor. The fact that America politically, is highly anti-labor in recent decades is a successful cultural coup by the business class. ****ing Exxon got one of their lizard kings to head the state dept here to make US foreign policy an arm of Exxon's corporate strategy. That's what corruption is. Uber is just what happens to be in the news. The whole economy is unethical. The rulers like it that way. Uber's just trying to win their little part of it. Their leadership, as do many Western business leaders, believe they should pay labor the least amount possible while still able to keep workers. They consider that ethical. I hope regular people eventually realize the implications of that. Uber isn't special. All that's unethical about them is normal to the Western business class. That has global repercussions.
    Trump will save us :D
    I am expecting this to happen some day. Like, they're possibly going to tank one day and they'll probably not be sensible in the lead up to it. Just complete denial. Then, if they suddenly declare bankrupt, can they be sued for our final week's payout that never came?

rembrandt and tohunt4me like this.
  19. tohunt4me

Exxon is a Wonderful company.
    An American company.
    Unlike Royal Dutch Shell
    Or British Petroleum.

One of the Last few American Major oil companies.

You will get a tax write off instead of a final paycheck

But Uber corporate will have Free Catered Lunch till the very last day.

You can sue Bernie Madoff also.
    He would love to get out of prison into court.

20. rembrandt

rembrandt Well-Known Member

America is the only place on earth where poor demi- educated / pseudo -educated working class is the biggest defender of the oligarchy and corporatocracy where they have no share whatsoever. They believe that they are serving the nation but they are serving the oligarchy instead in reality. All they accomplish is a poster called " Employee of the month" which can be read otherwise as " New clown on the block". The great American dream is accomplished.

PT66UberLyft likes this.