• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

UberPro - Tuition Arizona State U - Must Read

wasnotwas

Yesterday, I decided to look into the highly publicized "100% Tuition Coverage" program. Keep reading.

I went to check for an off-the-shelf boring Software Engineer BS program. Which looks the most promising in that arena. They have other IT programs, but there is really no meat on them bones. Meaning, the programs are sooo generically abstract that after graduation you may impress friends over a cocktail with the newly acquired terminology, and definitely thrill your family that you finally got a BS. Leaving that aside, you will have a BS a can look for a real job.

Of course, you can also study Philosophy or any other civilized trade. It is your call. These programs last 4 years or you can also do part-time. They are ONLINE, meaning video watching with some back-end test processes, some chatting with an 'Instructor Aide" here or there, et al.

Requirements. Gold, Platinum, Diamond. For IT programs, ASU only wants your high school transcripts. GPA 2.00 is ok and that is it. So, even my cousin Joey qualifies.

This is the breakdown of the Software Engineer program: https://webapp4.asu.edu/programs/t5/roadmaps/ASU00/TSSERBS/null/ONLINE/2019?init=false&nopassive=true

This is the link for all the Other Programs: https://webapp4.asu.edu/programs/t5/programs/Campus/ONLNE/undergrad/online/false

Tuition. Ranges from $563-$663 per credit. Lets do the math: 120 credits times...$67,560-$79,560. 120 of course is the total number of credits to get the infamous BS piece of cardboard.

FAFSA. This is a grant given to all US Citizens or Permanent Residents in the USA to help with College. The maximum one can get is $6,195 per year. In the "real world" meaning if Uber was not in the equation, that grant is for you to be used as you decide. Some for tuition, some for food, etc. But, since Uber is in the kitchen. The $6,195 goes to ASU, drivers don't see $1 of it. It's actually a requirement that you do that first, before they take you in.

Now...lets roll. Lets say you take the Software Engineering program. Cost is $79,560 (4 years). With me so far ?

Guess who knocks at your door next? Yup, the IRS cartel. Because, any amount given by Uber over $5,250 is TAXABLE each year. So, lets do the 4 year math:

Software Engineer BS Program Tuition: $79,560
FAFSA: $6,195 per year - so...$24,780 (not taxable. cuz, its a grant used for educational purposes)
Subtotal: $54,780

Tax deduction: $5,250 per year - so...$21,000 total deductions in a 4 year program.

Grand Total. $33,780 additional TAXABLE income...or $8,445 per year.

Epilogue. If you enroll in one of these programs, for illustration -I chose the Software Engineer BS Program- then you will pay taxes on $8,445 + whatever you $ make from the pimps on that year as well.

Now, lets say CTB Hamsters (formerly known as Ants) make $40,000 a year + $8,445 - Total income $48,445 and you will pay taxes on said amount. I don't know your deductions. But, the final amount is really NOT that bad. Isn't it?

My Take. Reagan (no friend of mine indeed) used to say that status quo is French for the "mess we are in" - meaning that Uber/Lyft are dead-end jobs that scratch your soul on a daily basis and take away your smile.

Therefore and aside of our personal feelings about the universe et al...I will dive into one these programs ASAP. I mean today. Do it.

Why? Because unless you have a real plan B ("real" being the operative word) - four years from now you still be cursing at the wind, writing on this blog and busting your derriere for cents, not counting having to put up with the passenger's holier-than-thou attitude towards drivers...and....in a lord-of-the-stupid dead-end job.

The logistics are in your favor, meaning you can be a Hamster and carry on the Online program at home instead of watching TV. If you can muster the grit of four years of it, you will have a BS to compete on the street. It's doable. Requires discipline and deep hate for being on the CTB Hamster-Wheel.

Well, I did my part. The rest is up to you. The table is served. Have a go at it and get a BS. FORGOT TO SAY: That If you don't enroll because you like TV better, then enroll you daughter, son, niece, wife, sister, brother, mother...any other family member is allowed.

Peace.

Last edited:

warsaw

If you have to drive like a madman to qualify and most likely to be so tired that you would not be able to study, but that's the catch.
They're basically offering you something that's hard to complete, just like those damn quests, CTBs, and other

Grand Lake

The logistics are in your favor, meaning you can be a Hamster and carry on the Online program at home instead of watching TV. If you can muster the grit of four years of it, you will have a BS to compete on the street.
What are the odds that Uber continues to provide this perk for the next four years? I wouldn't bet on it, that's for sure. Are the credits you earn going to transfer to another school, if you end up having to try to complete the degree somewhere else?

wasnotwas

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Walk that dinosaur, Was.
Yeah. You got it. Great band, they only did 1 LP/CD. Fame is a beach.
Post automatically merged:

Ant fly ? paper.

Outside of being hopeful, did you really think this was more than a marketing piece?
Au contraire, mon frére. It is there for the taking. It is the ticket out of the zoo. By now, you probably know that Lions in the Zoo, can't make it on the outside. They are used to those meals thrown to their cages.

If you have to drive like a madman to qualify and most likely to be so tired that you would not be able to study, but that's the catch.
They're basically offering you something that's hard to complete, just like those damn quests, CTBs, and other
This is the question: What is your plan B bubba ? Cuz, it certainly isn't driving for the pimps until the "invisible hand' gives you a real job.

But, but City College of San Francisco is FREE also and much more respectable. And my plan B is to sell weed.
Selling weed ? Isn't that a like super saturated now ? But, if not. Yeah, run with it. I joint...

Kudos. I'm with you.
Said like a true scholar.

grow, sell, and deliver weed to make a killing

@@@@ this uber scheme -
Cheech & Chong are back. Those were the days.

What are the odds that Uber continues to provide this perk for the next four years? I wouldn't bet on it, that's for sure. Are the credits you earn going to transfer to another school, if you end up having to try to complete the degree somewhere else?
Actually, as they accept you, Uber is liable. It is an open air contract with NO payment loopholes. They will pay. As for the credits, of course they are valid and transferable. It is Arizona State University. This ain't no beauty school scam. Northwestern, Berkeley, UCLA, etc also have online programs.

Knowing what I know about Fuber, I wouldn’t touch anything they offer.
Buy you do and everyday. You do take what they give you. As we all do. That is what pimping means. No sugarcoating here.

Just wait till they start offering the “Uber Inn”, 12 hours of sleep space for diamond level ONLY!
Just like Tokyo. They sleep in Internet Cafes cuz is cheap. Bathroom free. Shower $5 dollars. Rings a bell ?

Does it have parking space & 1 xtra DF?
Cloud parking 4 sho.

Last edited:

BiggerDog

Hmm....Uber Ant fall out rate is 94% in one year.

We keep you trapped in Uber sticky Fly Paper program for four years and more with lots of debt.

eazycc

If you really want to do college, why not go to a community college for significantly cheaper, then transfer out? If you put your mind to it you can complete the degree in 3 years.

Or you could do a 12 week boot camp which would likely do the same thing, and get you to a higher paying job much faster? Uber's "contribution" isn't really much. If you're willing to work for pennies for 4 years for college , why not just enlist?