UberPool on CNN

Euius

Drivers say UberPool means more work, but not necessarily more pay.
Bull. Its never more,outside of bonuses. There should be no driver funded discount. Neither my costs nor the value of my time go down just because some rider chose pool.

It also needs to stop averaging surge paid between the riders. If a 1.5x is in my car I should be paid 1.5x. Regardless of if there are three 1.0x as well.

yucklyftline

Bull. Its never more,outside of bonuses. There should be no driver funded discount. Neither my costs nor the value of my time go down just because some rider chose pool.

It also needs to stop averaging surge paid between the riders. If a 1.5x is in my car I should be paid 1.5x. Regardless of if there are three 1.0x as well.
Euius, can you please point me to a thread or article that explains how surge gets diluted when the subsequent pax surge is lower? Thanks

I've ignored pings, which happens quite often, but still managed to keep my acceptance rate above 75. Much easier than lyfts 90%.

Euius

Euius, can you please point me to a thread or article that explains how surge gets diluted when the subsequent pax surge is lower? Thanks
I've just observed things.

When you have two riders in your car, then the miles and minutes get "charged" half of each. If one is surge and one isnt, you're halving your surge bonus.

This is obvious any time you pickup a surge ride then a non surge, but you drop off the second rider first. The entire ride should be paying the full surge, but during the second passengers presence it is halved.

That's why I refuse (now cancel) second pickups of lower surge. The bonus isn't enough to counteract the loss

Of course with it surging so much less, it's less of an issue. Still, those 2am pool rides are where I rack up most of my refusals

yucklyftline

That's why I refuse (now cancel)
Ok, that makes sense. They are halving and thricing (sp) it between the pax, but only the portion where they are in the car together. Got it.

If no surge, I accept all, but I never pick up the second rider if the surge is lower, not even 0.5 lower, but it's impossible to work out the math unless you know destination. I had a 2am ride at 2.9x to San Mateo. The next ping came in at 2.4x. I didn't want to dilute the trip but it would have been a shame if the second rider was going to PA or SJ. Then and only then does it become profitable.

And you're cancelling because they were auto added to your trip? I am still being prompted to manually accept, keeping my fingers crossed it stays this way.

Euius

This occurred to me, because it happened a few times last night, but drivers should be emptying out their car whenever possible, even if the app says otherwise.

I've noticed a huge increase in second pickups near the destination of the first passenger. This cuts driver pay by because the $2 base fare only applies once per pool group. If the ride was also only a minimum fare, the driver will lose money as compared to emptying the car first.

So when the app gives you a second pickup six blocks from the first riders drop off, just continue to the first riders drop off and "End Ride", "More convenient drop off order" Boom, you now have two totally separate rides, and while you don't get paid for the six blocks to backtrack to the second pickup, you get a $2 base fare for each. (Or just cancel the second if you want)

The algorithm/app has definitely had an increase in the number of matches recently. It means that a rider requesting a Pool is far more likely to be sent to a driver already on a Pool ride than a driver sitting empty. This helps for PDPlus counts/guarantee minimums etc, but it also means it adds more people right before the car is empty very frequently. Doing the "More convenient drop off order" is the way to fight off that, increase income (but only by $2 minus commission) without harming acceptance rate or adding cancels.

RedoBeach

This occurred to me, because it happened a few times last night, but drivers should be emptying out their car whenever possible, even if the app says otherwise.

I've noticed a huge increase in second pickups near the destination of the first passenger. This cuts driver pay by because the $2 base fare only applies once per pool group. If the ride was also only a minimum fare, the driver will lose money as compared to emptying the car first.

So when the app gives you a second pickup six blocks from the first riders drop off, just continue to the first riders drop off and "End Ride", "More convenient drop off order" Boom, you now have two totally separate rides, and while you don't get paid for the six blocks to backtrack to the second pickup, you get a $2 base fare for each. (Or just cancel the second if you want)

The algorithm/app has definitely had an increase in the number of matches recently. It means that a rider requesting a Pool is far more likely to be sent to a driver already on a Pool ride than a driver sitting empty. This helps for PDPlus counts/guarantee minimums etc, but it also means it adds more people right before the car is empty very frequently. Doing the "More convenient drop off order" is the way to fight off that, increase income (but only by $2 minus commission) without harming acceptance rate or adding cancels.
Ive noticed this too and have tried the above method often to stay in control of my fares instead of donating to Uber for the same work.

I also drop off passengers out of order when we pass their drop off for another passenger. Uber is obviously trying to take advantage of both the passenger & the driver with this.

yucklyftline

Dude, gotta hand it to you. That's a GREAT catch on your part!

Standing O'

TDIguy

....but now that SCRool forces acceptance of subsequent rides does this still work?