UberPool Math Revisited

WestSubDriver

I guess you aren't really participating on this forum until you get your first censorship. Me think someone doth protest too much......

My sharing the story about whether it can be considered that Uber is skimming off the top of UberPool rides (still on this forum shared by a VERY active Chicago member btw and hint hint for keywords to google to find the original story out there on internet) was meant to present a fairly well-written piece on the math of Uber Pool (and, of course, save myself the time of writing up something of my own). So, I guess I'll give you my own story. This is original content belonging to myself so I assume it is safe to post here.

I've had wonderings about UberPool and obviously had a growing suspicion based the content on this forum. I had an uneventful matched Uber Pool ride recently with pleasant conversation. The 2nd pax was very curious about the workings of Uber, etc. This rider mentioned off hand that they were quoted $X for their fare. I didn't think much about it. But, I've now made a practice of reviewing my rides and fares. Upon inspection, I noticed that my fare for that rider was about 50% of what they told me they were paying (taking into account the rider fee which Uber doesn't show us). Sure enough, I was only getting credited with about half the mileage for them.

I submitted a fare review and got a nice automated message that said something like "this falls within our range of estimates, blah blah blah thank you for being a great partner blah blah". I persisted and asked again how this could be. And, lo and behold, Uber Support told me the actual fare. I had to ask again as to why I wasn't being paid on that fare and sure enough I received a prompt reply saying that the fare I was paid on would be adjusted to what the pax paid. Lesson learned.

Per Uber TOS, you have 3 business days to request a fare review.

Last edited:

seeded

I guess you aren't really participating on this forum until you get your first censorship. Me think someone doth protest too much......

My sharing the story about whether it can be considered that Uber is skimming off the top of UberPool rides (still on this forum shared by someone else btw and hint hint for keywords to google to find the original story out there on internet) was meant to present a fairly well-written piece on the math of Uber Pool (and, of course, save myself the time of writing up something of my own). So, I guess I'll give you my own story. This is original content belonging to myself so I assume it is safe to post here.

I've had wonderings about UberPool and obviously had a growing suspicion based the content on this forum. I had an uneventful matched Uber Pool ride recently with pleasant conversation. The 2nd pax was very curious about the workings of Uber, etc. This rider mentioned off hand that they were quoted $X for their fare. I didn't think much about it. But, I've now made a practice of reviewing my rides and fares. Upon inspection, I noticed that my fare for that rider was about 50% of what they told me they were paying (taking into account the rider fee which Uber doesn't show us). Sure enough, I was only getting credited with about half the mileage for them.

I submitted a fare review and got a nice automated message that said something like "this falls within our range of estimates, blah blah blah thank you for being a great partner blah blah". I persisted and asked again how this could be. And, lo and behold, Uber Support told me the actual fare. I had to ask again as to why I wasn't being paid on that fare and sure enough I received a prompt reply saying that the fare I was paid on would be adjusted to what the pax paid. Lesson learned.

Yep. I started a similar post on the board. Once I started to diligently Check all my matched pool rides I found that at least 60% were short on Miles/time. By following up constantly I was able to get uber to adjust about 80% of those incorrect fates. For whatever reason they sometimes like to dig in and send the automated message the fare falling within their "estimate".

Not sure who out there is comfortable with uber estimating their net take home, but I'm not.

My last pool ride (ever) was a few weeks ago. The distance between addresses was 5.9 miles as the crow flies. I had made one stop in between. They "estimated" the miles @ 2.6. I explained to the person copying and pasting responses to me in The Phillipines that there was no way known to physics to get from N. Of Irving park to S. 8th street in under 3 miles.

They still insisted the fare estimate was correct but adjusted the miles and time for that trip in my app but not my pay.

Over about a month I went over every pool ride I accepted and found that they consistently shorted my fares sometimes those adjustments came in around $25 a day depending on how many matched fares I had.

The time spent to keep them honest was too much. I will now only take pool fares on an hourly garuantee.

Also, the other day I had my girlfriend picked up @ Michigan and Ontario to be dropped off near the United center. That's at least a 4-5 mile trip. I paid $3.89. Checked his route. And sure enough uber estimated the trip at 2.2 miles. Robbery. I had my girl tip him a 5 and sent him a message t let him know uber was ripping him off. Hope he was working an hourly.

Seed.

WestSubDriver

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yep, I'll take Pools when I need them to make a guarantee but you can bet that I'm going to be reviewing every Pool fare closely. Like you've experienced, I don't expect to win every one so perhaps I'll be selective to at least the ones I'm getting ripped off the most.

UberLaLa

UberPool only pays based on the miles/time from the first rider picked up to the last rider dropped. So, if you start at X and drive to Y to pick up 2nd rider, then drop off Z the final rider - Uber combines the miles required to get from X to Z, period.

They have changed our Partnership Agreement to state that they take a percentage from miles/time driven, no longer based on Fare charged. :mad::confused:

75drive

My sharing the story about whether it can be considered that Uber is skimming off the top of UberPool rides (still on this forum shared by a VERY active Chicago member btw and hint hint for keywords to google to find the original story out there on internet) was meant to present a fairly well-written piece on the math of Uber Pool (and, of course, save myself the time of writing up something of my own). So, I guess I'll give you my own story. This is original content belonging to myself so I assume it is safe to post here.

Thanks for the post! I know you're going to find this hard to believe the first two pool trips I checked on Google maps were cut in half! Then I checked an a x ride and it was the same as Google maps!

BeingStewie

From what I understand is the reason they half the miles for the second ride is how uber calculates pool charges. So when you pick up pax A, pax A pays 100% pool rate till you pickup pax B. When pax A and B both are in the care the fare is split between the two (or three if you have pax C). If you drop off pax A first then after that drop off pax B pays 100% of pool fare until you drop them off. If you had dropped pax B first, then pax A goes back paying 100% pool rate for the rest of the mileage.

I have noticed in the second scenario for pax B that the miles are counted as 50% of the actually miles traveled. Maybe this is the only way uber can split the fares. This is my understanding.

In conclusion, pool is basically driving at uber x rate, but putting in more time and miles for the money paid. That's why I don't consider it a financially feasible option to do. I remember uber claiming that we will make more money when they first started pool in Chicago. Each passenger pays 25% less UberX fare and if we have multiple riders going on the same direction we make more. Sadly that was the usual uber bait, and we all including riders have got hooked on, lol.

Last edited:

WestSubDriver

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I should probably clarify my cryptic message above. I posted a link to an offsite story earlier today from an uber driver on this topic and one our favorite local cranks on this forum "reported" me. My original posted was then deleted by the moderators so only a couple Chicago members were able to see my OP before it disappeared. This is a re-constituted post without a link to the offine story to try to stay "within guidelines". As pointed out however, you can still find a link to the story I posted in at least one other post I know of currently on this forum which has not been censored.

This is a small sample, but all I know is that Uber charged my 2nd passenger at least double what they were giving me credit for as a fare. And, to be honest, that 2nd passenger was not getting much of a discount over what they would have paid if they just took X, perhaps 10-15%.