uberPool - I want to hear your thoughts

UberXinSoFlo

Some of you may remember me, I was an uber and Lyft driver for a little while, but landed a FT job. Despite all the issues with uber/lyft (I had more than my fair share of complaining), it did help me get some extra $$ and some good stories, so I am grateful for that (hindsight is 20/20).

Recently I was in Boston and started using the uberPool, it is an interesting concept.. The drivers up there seemed relativity happy with it (who is happy with x??); however, I never had an issue getting a ride.

I returned to PBI and wanted to get a ride home, surprised to see uberPool now offered in west palm I decided to give it a shot. Twice I got not so friendly drivers calling me, asking where I was going. I was a driver before, I get it, but getting canceled on twice sucks. So then I said screw it and ordered an X, got a driver without a phone call.

Now that uberPool is just $3 anywhere in West Palm I've been taking more than I ever took X. Hell, $3/ride is cheaper than parking! I tip my drivers, always outside waiting for them, and try my best to be pleasant (still got my 5* pax rating!).

Since the PBI experience I only had 1 driver cancel on me.

So my question to the drivers: Why not take uberPool? I completely understand the complaints that uber collects 2-3x while you only get paid for the one rate. However, if a pax wanted to stop by someone's house and pick up a friend, then get a ride somewhere, would you care? I never did, more miles = more $. So yes, multiple stops can be annoying, but as long as the rate is the same as X (which I do not know the current rates) and you keep busy (with pax(s) in the car), then who cares what uber is/isn't making? Be happy to know that uber loses $$ on those $3 trips and benefit from the increase of demand.

Not looking for a debate on how bad uber sucks (I'm sure it has only gotten worse since I've left), but I want to hear a good uberX vs uberPool debate.

UberXinSoFlo

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Also, wanted to add that the rider app really pushes uberPool. If you select X then it asks you how many pax you have, if you select 1 or 2 then it highlights uberPool as the default, you have to change that to X (by clicking on the higher price) if you prefer X.

I'd recommend going through the motions to request an X and see for yourself.

TravisNJ

Pool is 75 cents a mile and 10 cents a minute, versus X being 85 cents a mile and 13 cents a minute. Why do I want to do the same job and get paid less so your ass can get a discount?

Also, yes, as you know, we don't like getting ripped off so Uber can make 3x by forcing us to do UberFool.

Customers often put the wrong address in the app when utilizing Pool, whether intentionally or unintentionally, so they expect us to fix the error (which we cannot). I've even told one customer that they shouldn't try to cheap out and save a dollar or two if they want the flexibility of being able to change destinations in lieu of an error.

UberXinSoFlo

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Pool is 75 cents a mile and 10 cents a minute, versus X being 85 cents a mile and 13 cents a minute. Why do I want to do the same job and get paid less so your ass can get a discount?

Also, yes, as you know, we don't like getting ripped off so Uber can make 3x by forcing us to do UberFool.

Customers often put the wrong address in the app when utilizing Pool, whether intentionally or unintentionally, so they expect us to fix the error (which we cannot). I've even told one customer that they shouldn't try to cheap out and save a dollar or two if they want the flexibility of being able to change destinations in lieu of an error.
Gotcha! Didn't realize that. I don't know why uber does the stuff they do... makes no sense not to pay the same rate as X.

Aside from the rate (and I know $.10/mile can make a big difference), are there any other issues from a driver's perspective between X and Pool?

What happens on no-shows? Say you pick up Pool pax 1, then get a ping to pick up Pool pax 2. If Pool pax 2 isn't there, do you still get the $5 cancellation fee?

TravisNJ

I'm not completely sure as I've never received a matched request outside of South Beach (I do not take POOL unless I get saddled with one at the airport), but it is either $0 for the 2nd pax cancellation and uber keeps the $2, or it is $1.60 for the driver for the cancellation.

Other issues other than the payment rate: You have to pick up 2 separate passengers, you have to hope they get along and aren't @@@@@@@@ about the order in which they are dropped off (which Uber dictates), and get rated by two different people (who may take out any number of issues that are out of the drivers hands on the driver) for the same amount of freaking work that you are getting paid less for.

OdyUber

If the first or subsequent Pax isn't ready in 2 minutes, you get $5 cancellation minus uber 20%/25% fee.

In short, it's a gift. a matched pool rider no-show is much better than a ride along, even if the 2nd rider is going 5-6 miles farther than the 1st dropoff, since you don't have to pay the gas for those extra miles.

Last edited:

Manotas

Lower pay, risk of lower rating, more deadhead miles to drop off... other than the occasional no show that will pay the $4 fee. I don't see why any driver would accept those UberFool requests. I hope a Boston driver will stumble on this thread and tell us why they love it so much

ShadyBrady

POOL is just Uber's way of lowering the price once again, but trying to make it seem like it's great for drivers. It's not - it's just cheaper fares.

I don't know how good the pax are in Boston, but I'd estimate that 25% of mine either have their pickup location wrong, destination wrong, PIN not matching address, etc. I've also had POOL pax want to dictate the route, want me to take them multiple destinations, etc.

Uber just forces this crap down the pax neck, telling them how great it is without really explaining how it works.

We don't get paid nearly enough to have obviously non-compatible pax in our cars together, with everyone being uncomfortable until the ride is over.

Motursa

Uber never loses money, don't get fooled. Saturday is the busiest day for uber with more than 20 M requests, do the math. They don't have the expenses that we have per trip. They just bribe whoever needs to be bribed, invest in technology, settle lawsuits, etc and still makes huge profit over ours expenses. Very dishonest way to do business.