Uberpool Boycott - my 6th month anniversary

boom888

I refuse to do Uberpoo. From the moment it was introduced and explained it was obviously a hit on the driver and made little sense on many levels. However, I did accept a few uberpoo rides at the beginning just to see whether my initial assessment was valid or if uberpoo can be beneficial (or at least tolerable). It only took about a dozen rides to know this was a pile of crap dumped by a squatting Uber over our heads.

So it's been over 6 months and over 600 completed trips since I did my last uberpoo. I haven't accepted any that were surged, or any that were close, or whatever the reason. Not a single ride. Not one. I simply refuse to accept and do an uberpoo.

It's 4-5am in the morning and/or out somewhere on the edge of the city, someone is ordering an uberpoo knowing there is little chance they will have to share a discounted ride. I give the finger to my phone when I get those sometimes lol. Why would I consider taking those? I don't.

Why would I accept a uberpoo when it's surging when I can just wait it out (usually seconds) and take a full uberx ride? I don't.

A matched uberpoo is not enticing either. Forget about the potential awkwardness, or unpleasantries that I've read about on other threads, I personally can deal with that shit. Ultimately, the payout isn't worth the trouble of juggling multiple rides when I can just choose accepting uberx instead and make more.

Then there's the ratings hit too. Riders know how uberpoo works, however they get annoyed (ex. dropped of second when they're picked up first, other passenger is unpleasant, etc) and they ultimately show this with dinging you with a bad rating.

Ultimately though it's a matter of principle as much as the other important factors. Not only on principle that uberpoo is disadvantageous and therefore I refuse to get sucked into it by accepting even a single ride, moreover there is no way to know how to calculate your trip. Why would I want to involve myself in Uber's scheme?

I calculate each trip I take to ensure uber has done so correctly too. It's easy when you know the variables.
base fare + ((($0.81 x kms)+($0.18 x duration)) x surge if applicable).

Can anyone precisely and without question convince us how uber calculates your share of a poo ride? I don't believe one can. I haven't seen this anywhere. In fact I see the opposite. People theorizing how much a uberpoo trip can bring in and painstakingly trying to do comparable to uberx, and they still need more evidence after half a year into this lol. Sorry, this is a crock of shit.
There are ample threads and articles out there exposing the skim uber takes off uberpoo. The less we know on how much they're taking in from the poo rides, our share and the calculation of such, the better for them.
I want no part of this. If it's not transparent and I as I driver can't calculate it, then I want no part of it.

Yes I get the uber threats and how it's detrimental to other drivers and the passengers for not accepting uberpoo. Pfffft.

If you're a driver and you want to accept uberpoo, that's your choice. My choice in not to expend my time, effort and expenses on that scheme.
If you're a passenger and you want a cheaper ride on an already heavily discounted mode of transportation, then you might not get your first request accepted. You might have to wait a little longer to get that cheap ride, or have to suck it up and pay a couple of dollars more...which would still be cheaper than a taxi or better than taking an hour with public transportation, or God forbid, walk that 2 kms.

I do this part-time. If uber wants to deactivate me, someone who maintains a rating hovering in the 4.86-4.91 range for as long as I've been driving, so be it. I will not be forced into the poo.

Last edited:

Manhoos

I refuse to do Uberpoo. From the moment it was introduced and explained it was obviously a hit on the driver and made little sense on many levels. However, I did accept a few uberpoo rides at the beginning just to see whether my initial assessment was valid or if uberpoo can be beneficial (or at least tolerable). It only took about a dozen rides to know this was a pile of crap dumped by a squatting Uber over our heads.

So it's been over 6 months and over 600 completed trips since I did my last uberpoo. I haven't accepted any that were surged, or any that were close, or whatever the reason. Not a single ride. Not one. I simply refuse to accept and do an uberpoo.

It's 4-5am in the morning and/or out somewhere on the edge of the city, someone is ordering an uberpoo knowing there is little chance they will have to share a discounted ride. I give the finger to my phone when I get those sometimes lol. Why would I consider taking those? I don't.

Why would I accept a uberpoo when it's surging when I can just wait it out (usually seconds) and take a full uberx ride? I don't.

A matched uberpoo is not enticing either. Forget about the potential awkwardness, or unpleasantries that I've read about on other threads, I personally can deal with that shit. Ultimately, the payout isn't worth the trouble of juggling multiple rides when I can just choose accepting uberx instead and make more.

Then there's the ratings hit too. Riders know how uberpoo works, however they get annoyed (ex. dropped of second when they're picked up first, other passenger is unpleasant, etc) and they ultimately show this with dinging you with a bad rating.

Ultimately though it's a matter of principle as much as the other important factors. Not only on principle that uberpoo is disadvantageous and therefore I refuse to get sucked into it by accepting even a single ride, moreover there is no way to know how to calculate your trip. Why would I want to involve myself in Uber's scheme?

I calculate each trip I take to ensure uber has done so correctly too. It's easy when you know the variables.

Can anyone precisely and without question convince us how uber calculates your share of a poo ride? I don't believe one can. I haven't seen this anywhere. In fact I see the opposite. People theorizing how much a uberpoo trip can bring in and painstakingly trying to do comparable to uberx, and they still need more evidence after half a year into this lol. Sorry, this is a crock of shit.
There are ample threads and articles out there exposing the skim uber takes off uberpoo. The less we know on how much they're taking in from the poo rides, our share and the calculation of such, the better for them.
I want no part of this. If it's not transparent and I as I driver can't calculate it, then I want no part of it.

Yes I get the uber threats and how it's detrimental to other drivers and the passengers for not accepting uberpoo. Pfffft.

If you're a driver and you want to accept uberpoo, that's your choice. My choice in not to expend my time, effort and expenses on that scheme.
If you're a passenger and you want a cheaper ride on an already heavily discounted mode of transportation, then you might not get your first request accepted. You might have to wait a little longer to get that cheap ride, or have to suck it up and pay a couple of dollars more...which would still be cheaper than a taxi or better than taking an hour with public transportation, or God forbid, walk that 2 kms.

I do this part-time. If uber wants to deactivate me, someone who maintains a rating hovering in the 4.86-4.91 range for as long as I've been driving, so be it. I will not be forced into the poo.
That was a big rant but I agree with you cent percent..

One "3-pax Poo ride" is 3 drivers' job. Uber is making money per seat and paying driver less than "single X ride".. which eventually leads to less work and immense frustration for growing numbers of drivers..

But still, soon you will see some come up with formulae that how poo is beneficial for drivers.. most of them will be either
  1. New drivers
  2. Those drivers who recently hit a jackpot with poo (which happens once in a blue moon)
  3. Uber paid trolls, or
  4. Ones who only have theories and might drive once a week/month

Bruce55

I agree with everything you said except the part where you avoid poo.

Last edited:

uber fool

I m with him i to
images.jpg

UberxGTA

Congratulations!
You are a hero to all Real drivers(Uber trolls excluded).
You have the makings of a true entrepreneur 'Independent Contractor'.

highwayman

That was a big rant but I agree with you cent percent..

One "3-pax Poo ride" is 3 drivers' job. Uber is making money per seat and paying driver less than "single X ride".. which eventually leads to less work and immense frustration for growing numbers of drivers..

But still, soon you will see some come up with formulae that how poo is beneficial for drivers.. most of them will be either
  1. New drivers
  2. Those drivers who recently hit a jackpot with poo (which happens once in a blue moon)
  3. Uber paid trolls, or
  4. Ones who only have theories and might drive once a week/month