UberEats protest Toronto this Saturday 2pm-3:30 pm at 312 Adelaide St W

CDNcrippler1

clearport

A buddy of mines, who does Uber eats, made me feel bad for him while busting a gut laughing so hard. He told me how he can't wait for the storms to begin, only for the fact that bike food delivery would stop and increase his likelihood of a better income. You thought Uber X was saturated? Uber Eats drivers are waiting for hell to freeze over man.

uber fool

Sitting in a tree feeling bad for myself because i am down to my last Banana, i think to myself could things be worse. As i peel the banana skin throw it on the ground. Feeling sorry for myself, i put my head down in shame only to see another man beneath me eating the my banana skin

Uberchampion

UberEats protest Toronto this Saturday
Protest is at 312 Adelaide st W uber greenlight centre. 2pm-3:30 pm.

Also don't forget to sign up our loop https://uberpeople.net/threads/gta-uber-loop.120974/
(been approached by few merchants with some sponsor proposals, still need more people to join so we can set out our strategy, please show some supports for our community!)
Why do you need sponsors for Grass roots activism? Are you going to pay for everyone's parking on Saturday?

biozon

Western Society is becoming cruel to poor people its not just Uber , TTC operators are being forced to work 70 hour weeks.
I would be gladly working as many hours as I could at an hourly rate. Of course, if I'm on a salary that doesn't change and no overtime pay, forget about it. So at a mere $25 per hour 70 hours a week would equal to $1750 before taxes, which makes it $3500 bi-weekly, or a whopping $91000 annually. That is nod bad at all. Boy, do I miss the time when I was paid hourly. I used to work 11-13 hours a day, including weekend days. Fabulous times. I was able to afford so much!

Judgeetox

I would be gladly working as many hours as I could at an hourly rate. Of course, if I'm on a salary that doesn't change and no overtime pay, forget about it. So at a mere $25 per hour 70 hours a week would equal to $1750 before taxes, which makes it $3500 bi-weekly, or a whopping $91000 annually. That is nod bad at all. Boy, do I miss the time when I was paid hourly. I used to work 11-13 hours a day, including weekend days. Fabulous times. I was able to afford so much!
A TTC operator makes $30/hr on the low end.
Time and 1/2 after 40 hours. Putting a 70hr week around $2550 gross

I'm in Union trades and our contract is double that of the TTC.
We went to renegotiate our clollective agreement this year and the emplyers tried to play hard ball and do away with double time after 8 hrs/day and 40hrs/wk respectively.

....4000 members showed up to show them a large middle finger in unison.

I really hope the Uber drivers can get together in solidarity and show Uber who really holds the power...unfortunately, I'm pretty sure Uber would just pull out of this market if forced to negotiate before changing the terms.

Last edited:

Judgeetox

Really? I thought it's $30 max, so I took $25 as an average.

Well, if that's the case, and especially with added overtime bonus, that makes over 130 grand annually in gross. Nice!
$25 on the low end (strictly wage only), but then you have pension contributions as well as other add ons, the whole package is pretty sweet there.

That's why it's really difficult to get in. Their pension alone is worth it though

Deoxlar

$25 on the low end (strictly wage only), but then you have pension contributions as well as other add ons, the whole package is pretty sweet there.

That's why it's really difficult to get in. Their pension alone is worth it though
It's not difficult if your family and friends are in already.

Actionjax

You forgot to remove the tax and no expenses....take home would suck.

biozon

You forgot to remove the tax and no expenses....take home would suck.
Not really. Even if it's 50% tax in the end, it's a pretty sweet 65 grand a year. But it's not going to be 50% tax, of course. Probably 35-40%. So in reality about $80 grand net a year. That is pretty good for one person. Of course, it's just salary, we are not even talking about benefits here.

I just wanted to clarify - I do not consider this an easy job. Having had 2 years experience with Uber I realize driving for hire is extremely exhausting, nerve wrecking and simply dangerous a lot of times when you are in Downtown with all the crazies driving there. Now driving let's say a bus is different, of course, but it's more responsibility, as you are carrying more people, you interact with more people, your rig is very large and harder to maneuver, etc, etc. But the pay is good, if you are willing to work overtime (which I personally would definitely do, if there is an opportunity).

Judgeetox

Yes. Taxes are the biggest chip off. During the summer, I worked 60 hours a week and paid $1200 in income tax...Weekly. There were 100 other members there on a single jobsite.

...really gives you a bit of perspective on the amount of $$$ this government is pulling in.

Blackout 702

Wow, she's very compelleing. "Come to the protest instead of working and getting paid if you are worried about pay cuts. Uber lies when they say that a boost pays more, because it does pay more, just not more than it does. I won't be there because i have more important things to do."

Actionjax

Not really. Even if it's 50% tax in the end, it's a pretty sweet 65 grand a year. But it's not going to be 50% tax, of course. Probably 35-40%. So in reality about $80 grand net a year. That is pretty good for one person. Of course, it's just salary, we are not even talking about benefits here.

I just wanted to clarify - I do not consider this an easy job. Having had 2 years experience with Uber I realize driving for hire is extremely exhausting, nerve wrecking and simply dangerous a lot of times when you are in Downtown with all the crazies driving there. Now driving let's say a bus is different, of course, but it's more responsibility, as you are carrying more people, you interact with more people, your rig is very large and harder to maneuver, etc, etc. But the pay is good, if you are willing to work overtime (which I personally would definitely do, if there is an opportunity).
Don't forget no benefits or retirement savings.