UberEATS on a bike worth it?

N1526730

I was wondering if anyone here has done it? And, whether it does as good financially as driving?

The way I see it is I ride anyway for fun on the weekend, so why not get paid. It might also be nice if I can lower the wear-and-tear/gas costs out of the deliveries.

kenetix

I have been doing UberEats on a bike in my city (Ottawa, Canada) 2 years (this is my 3rd year). I find its worth it for me. Although as ive been getting in better shape, doing more hours each year, the boost rates have been dropping. Its really only worth it from 5-9pm every day in my area (for me anyway), but its great exercise, and i still manage 20+$/hr (no insurance, no gas, no parking). But i know several guys in my area who stopped doing it, because during the rest of the day (or late at night) it pays very little.

N1526730

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I have been doing UberEats on a bike in my city (Ottawa, Canada) 2 years (this is my 3rd year). I find its worth it for me. Although as ive been getting in better shape, doing more hours each year, the boost rates have been dropping. Its really only worth it from 5-9pm every day in my area (for me anyway), but its great exercise, and i still manage 20+$/hr (no insurance, no gas, no parking). But i know several guys in my area who stopped doing it, because during the rest of the day (or late at night) it pays very little.
Alright! That's what I wanted to hear! I completely understand that during certain times it would be slow, but I think that's to be expected. I'm stoked I can make money while on my bike! Do they give priority on customers/restaurants close by?

kenetix

Slow? To be honest, ANY time during the day (id say 11am until 10pm) you hardly ever wait here (at least for me) its just the lower boost that makes the hourly average drop. I rarely wait more than 2-5 mins for next call (depending on where i dropoff). As for priority, i have no idea how Uber matches driver to order. They told me (3 years ago) when i signed up that "Eats only" drivers (and cyclists) get priority on pings over drivers that do passengers and eats. Ive had countless deliveries where i go to the same restaurant 3 times in an hour and i notice and eats cyclist hanging around outside the whole time, and have been asked why he sat outside for an hour and received no pings nearby yet I have done 3 from that spot. Uber did tell me when i signed up that cyclists will never receive pizza (and another cyclist told me she was told no soups either) yet I have received tonnes of soup orders and even a handful of pizza orders. So i wouldnt bank on any of what they say. Also (where i am) i was told the limit for cyclists (distance from pickup to dropff) is 5km (~ 3 miles?) and so far that has been the case (although on double orders i have had to ride more in total if you end up having to go in different directions.

Id say go ahead and get an Eats cyclist account, and try it and see. If you are already driving for it, then you can always switch back if it doesnt work for you. The only downside i find is when you end up with the max dropoff range, and nothing is around for a pickup and then have to waste that time coming all the way back to a good area.

N1526730

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I misunderstood. Boosts? Lol, yeah we don't really get that around here. That's great that you have that much business in your city. Thank you so much for all the info!

Invisible

There is a guy on this forum who does bike delivery in SF; I think his name is Robert Larsen. He’s been doing it for years, and does well.

Teal

I was wondering if anyone here has done it? And, whether it does as good financially as driving?

The way I see it is I ride anyway for fun on the weekend, so why not get paid. It might also be nice if I can lower the wear-and-tear/gas costs out of the deliveries.
Not worth it from what I understand, Goober here in Perth keep trying to send the bike riders to pick up from like 4km away from their locations, by the time they get to the restaurant, pick up the meal and go deliver it, they find it's been 30 minutes for a $8 trip - or they get stuck in the CBD with no meals watching the drivers in their cars come past and cancelling on meals due to the lack of parking, complete waste of time - but that seems to be the norm when it comes to Uber and any "bright" ideas they have these days.

njn

Try it. New sign ups get higher priority. Bikes get priority.

Many people sign up for bike accounts and use cars, which has to be the dumbest thing ever.

amazinghl

There is a guy on this forum who does bike delivery in SF; I think his name is Robert Larsen. He’s been doing it for years, and does well.

Robert Larrison said:
I'm 55 and made 38k last year in SF on a bicycle, how are you doing?
Robert worked hard for his 38k, way more than 40 hours a week, I think. You'll have to ask him about it.

Robert Larrison

yes he does
1547697438065849.jpg

Post automatically merged:

Get real food bags https://www.webstaurantstore.com/19177/insulated-food-delivery-bags.html and make a drink holder, these are closed cell foam I cut with a 3.5" hole saw.I read trade publications like PMQ to learn http://www.pmq.com/
For electric bikes check out https://endless-sphere.com/forums/ and https://www.electricbike.com/
Here is a 48 volt 14 amp battery i spot welded with Panasonic NCR 18650, same cells as the Tesla 3
For soups i put one block as a spacer so it won't shift. Next project is a 21" square metal box and I building a tiny pelter thermoelectric cooler for it right now https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermoelectric_cooling
1050027199.png
20180718_022842-COLLAGE.jpg
15553963169471030521975.jpg

Last edited:

Androidcoder

Screenshot_20190416-070754_Uber Driver.jpg
I've been biking Minneapolis since March of 2017, when you might spend an hour pedaling to a remote restaurant for a remote delivery for $3.62. And customers were told 'No need to tip' right on the app, besides not being able to in- app tip in the first place. And no boosts (like now). The only thing that kept me going were waiting payments of $5 for every 10 minutes of waiting I claimed. No other couriers seemed to be aware of being able to claim that here until I mentioned it on the Minneapolis Uber Eats thread.

Things improved considerably last summer with 1.4x lunch and 1.6x evening boosts. Those were the only periods I biked. I could average about $12 an hour lunch, $16 an hour evening. Not what I pictured myself doing with my $200,000 Computer Science masters from the UofM Institute of Tech, but at least I was my own boss. Still tips were rare, as customers had to rate you first before even being offered a tip option. I would have to explain this to people when asked about in-app tipping, but rarely got one even then.

Now we are back to the no boost era, but customers can apparently tip upfront. Has this made up for the lack of boosts? Not really. My runs are tipically $4.80 to $5.30 now, but I'll get a buck or two extra tip on a third of them. You still make more during lunch and dinner just because there are more runs offered, so you can be pickier on what to accept.

As to whether it's worth it on a bike, per hour bike income is hugely dependant on how far you get sent. I'll make $4.80 for a 10 minute hotel run across the street, $5.80 for a 45 minute roundtrip 3 mile remote ride that I have to deadhead back from. It takes some skill with a bike picking your areas and pickups to avoid those runs. 5 Guys is notorious for remote, sometimes ghetto drops, but I do them anyway because I'm pinged so hard for 5 Guys. The downtown one here is on a bus only street. I'm only doing about $11 an hour now throughout the day, pretty sad really. I may still be the only legit biker here, countless customers have told me I'm the only courier that's shown as a biker on the app who has actually been on a bike. Minneapolis takes on more Somali refugees than any other US city, and the no insurance/license Uber Eats car courier population is huge here. They all claim bike status. Uber should ask alleged bicycle couriers to take a picture of their bike, besides themselves, for ID checks.

The golden days are over, but if $11 an hour is worth it for you and you can pedal for hours at a time, you might try it. For me personally by the way, I wouldn't do this by car at all. Parking would be a pain here and it can trash your vehicle.

Last edited:

Robert Larrison

View attachment 312419
I've been biking Minneapolis since March of 2017, when you might spend an hour pedaling to a remote restaurant for a remote delivery for $3.62. And customers were told 'No need to tip' right on the app, besides not being able to in- app tip in the first place. And no boosts (like now). The only thing that kept me going were waiting payments of $5 for every 10 minutes of waiting I claimed. No other couriers seemed to be aware of being able to claim that here until I mentioned it on the Minneapolis Uber Eats thread.

Things improved considerably last summer with 1.4x lunch and 1.6x evening boosts. Those were the only periods I biked. I could average about $12 an hour lunch, $16 an hour evening. Not what I pictured myself doing with my $200,000 Computer Science masters from the UofM Institute of Tech, but at least I was my own boss. Still tips were rare, as customers had to rate you first before even being offered a tip option. I would have to explain this to people when asked about in-app tipping, but rarely got one even then.

Now we are back to the no boost era, but customers can apparently tip upfront. Has this made up for the lack of boosts? Not really. My runs are tipically $4.80 to $5.30 now, but I'll get a buck or two extra tip on a third of them. You still make more during lunch and dinner just because there are more runs offered, so you can be pickier on what to accept.

As to whether it's worth it on a bike, per hour bike income is hugely dependant on how far you get sent. I'll make $4.80 for a 10 minute hotel run across the street, $5.80 for a 45 minute roundtrip 3 mile remote ride that I have to deadhead back from. It takes some skill with a bike picking your areas and pickups to avoid those runs. 5 Guys is notorious for remote, sometimes ghetto drops, but I do them anyway because I'm pinged so hard for 5 Guys. The downtown one here is on a bus only street. I'm only doing about $11 an hour now throughout the day, pretty sad really. I may still be the only legit biker here, countless customers have told me I'm the only courier that's shown as a biker on the app who has actually been on a bike. Minneapolis takes on more Somali refugees than any other US city, and the no insurance/license Uber Eats car courier population is huge here. They all claim bike status. Uber should ask alleged bicycle couriers to take a picture of their bike, besides themselves, for ID checks.

The golden days are over, but if $11 an hour is worth it for you and you can pedal for hours at a time, you might try it. For me personally by the way, I wouldn't do this by car at all. Parking would be a pain here and it can trash your vehicle.
If you read numbers IPO or if you need somebody else's summary of it you will learn that uber gets 25% of their business from 5 major cities, there are many articles in trade publications showing whichs city and which platform had the most business

Getting paid waiting fee is in UberEats site (buried) for years, but you can only get a few a day and it's like pulling teeth

Lastly if someone gets higher specialized training/school They usually move to the best location for their chosen field.
Do you want any job search to the 5-mile sled-dog radius

BTW I'm a 56 yet old drop out with a steel hip and epilepsy so had been learning electronica, Arduino,C++ and Java,18650 lithium cells, welding and plating to quote Sheldon Cooperif iwere you is go back to the university and ask for a refund

Last edited: