UberEats is Dying. hahaha

LAboy

i stopped doing UE for a while now, i have been doing grubhub only. and uber wont stop emailling me about all kind of crappy promos.
i cant do it anymore its just not paying good, 3$ for a trip are you serious haha
doordash and grubhub are takin over the game.
i love Uber and their fast customer service and nice app, but to get paid 3$ for a trip with 2 drinks on a motorcycle going 100 mph haha for 4 miles and the customer aint tipping.
thats why i think grubhub is the best now, some customer they think they can get away without tipping but not on grubhub haha
i recieved a couple offers for 4$ on grubhub no tip i declined.

Zaug

Uber Eats beginning of the end was when they implemented the time based payment. As a night driver in Durham region, Ontario, that was a massive pay cut. I use to fly through deliveries and get paid decent, but since the KM and pickup/dropoff payment was cut in more than half, and (supposedly) compensated for with the time based payment, i am making peanuts because the time i get paid for doesn't even come close to making up the other pay cuts. Now drivers are waiting in parking lots after getting their delivery trying to rack up time to make the trip worth it. This hurts the Uber brand massively making people wait WAY too long for their food. Then on top of that the 1.1-1.6X promotional multipliers went away or got lowered. Then on top of that, the way we get paid is on a somewhat ESTIMATED payment system that is often way off so we don'y even get paid properly for the time the trip ACTUALLY takes. Uber eats should have seen this coming. SOLUTION: Bring back old system and only start paying for time after around 20 mins into the delivery has gone by. This way people want to finish fast but if it does take long, the driver is compensated.

iSeee

Ubereats is so dead in LA, compared to what it used to be and there's zero boosts now, and small quests, must be so many drivers, who knows... but i really like uber too with its simplicity and how its 24 hours and how there are no zones and no scheduling. just wish it was busier and the pay was better, maybe things will change in the future........ I started grubhub last week its better

Last edited:

Invisible

Eats is dead is my area and has been for 1.5 months. It was still busy for a few weeks once they changed the customers fee structure, probably because it was still cold and snowy. But now there’s barely nothing.

OLDSCHOOLPARAD

Eats is dead is my area and has been for 1.5 months. It was still busy for a few weeks once they changed the customers fee structure, probably because it was still cold and snowy. But now there’s barely nothing.
Yeah, I felt once they changed the fees, it died out a lot. It has never recuperated after that.

For OP:
Post automatically merged:

Tips are not mandatory, that’s why they’re called GRATUITIES! People expect customers to pay their wages but how can they when they’re paying up to $20 in delivery fees. For UberEATS, the minimum you’ll pay for a McDonald’s delivery is $5.50 in my market.

For UberEATS drivers, tips make up about 10%, but for others, it’s basically customers paying drivers wages of up to 50%. With those margins, you’d expect drivers on other platforms to make 40% more, but that’s far from the truth.

I can just imagine how much drivers would suffer if GrubHub, DoorDash and the like raised their fees. I’m sure customers would be a lot less likely to tip then.

Last edited:

Jay Dean

i stopped doing UE for a while now, i have been doing grubhub only. and uber wont stop emailling me about all kind of crappy promos.
i cant do it anymore its just not paying good, 3$ for a trip are you serious haha
doordash and grubhub are takin over the game.
i love Uber and their fast customer service and nice app, but to get paid 3$ for a trip with 2 drinks on a motorcycle going 100 mph haha for 4 miles and the customer aint tipping.
thats why i think grubhub is the best now, some customer they think they can get away without tipping but not on grubhub haha
i recieved a couple offers for 4$ on grubhub no tip i declined.
How many times did you eat other people’s food? Lol

Invisible

Uber needs to lower customer fees ASAP, otherwise they’ll be gone. The only reason I think people still order from Uber, in my market, is the consistency.

At places I’ve picked orders that use UE, GH & DD, restaurants have told me Uber drivers are faster at picking up. I’ve heard that from customers, too.

Recently, I had a Uber passenger tell me that he was adding UE as a delivery option to his restaurant because GH is too inconsistent. I’ve heard similar complaints about DD, being hit or miss. They are, and I’d get orders assigned over an hour late with both GH and DD.

DD subsides driver pay with customer tips. Once they raise their fees, customers will leave. DD is getting 500 million from investors, so that’s what’s helping them.

dlearl476

I just got moderate boosts and little carrot quests back last Monday. For the second night in a row UE is kicking GH’s ass. $75 vs $38 in 5 hrs of driving. Thank goodness for the Guarantee on GH I’ll end up being paid $88. ~$30 from GH.

iSeee

just made $70 in 3 hours with UE 1.4x boost,10 trips, with 0 tips, not bad, i take back what i said for now... it was Saturday night though, in the busiest part of LA, thats prob why

Last edited:

Launchpad McQuack

Thank goodness for the Guarantee on GH I’ll end up being paid $88. ~$30 from GH.
The guarantee was nice while it lasted, but I have accepted that I will probably never see one again. I made some decent money off of it for a couple weeks for doing very few actual deliveries, though, so I think I came out ahead.

GrubHub expanded my delivery territory last week......significantly. The new delivery territory is 3-4x the square miles of the old delivery territory, and they don't hesitate to send you pings for restaurants that are 15+ miles away. Yesterday, I went to a music festival in Seaside Heights. On the way, I turned on GrubHub and did a few deliveries. In situations like this, I only do GrubHub because I can see the restaurant location and the customer location and only accept pings that take me in the direction that I want to go. Turned on the app around 11:30. Pretty soon I got a ping from a local Taco Bell heading in the right direction. While I was en route to Taco Bell, I got a ping from a KFC that was way south of where I was. Probably a solid 15 miles away. Normally I would reject that without a second thought, but it was in the right direction so I took it. Made the Taco Bell pickup and then got stuck in traffic on the way to the drop off for a street fair that I didn't know was happening. Made the drop off and then proceeded to the KFC in Brick. Moderate traffic along the way. Nothing serious, but it slowed things up some. Got to the KFC around 12:30.

So I walk into the KFC to make the pickup, and the guy at the counter tells me, "Double check your order. We don't have that order on the board any more." So I show him the order in my app, and he says, "That doesn't do anything for me. If it's not on the board, I can't make it." I tell him, "I understand that, but you told me to double check my order, so here's my order." So I call GrubHub support and explain the situation. Support tells me that they are going to resend the order to the restaurant. So I tell the guy at the counter that GrubHub told me that they're going to resend the order, and he reads me the riot act about how unreliable GrubHub drivers are and how we never show up on time and how orders sit on the stack for hours and the customers are upset because they're not getting deliveries in a timely manner. After he calmed down some, we had a legitimate conversation.....well, actually no. It was still just him talking but more calmly. One of the things he said is that things really went downhill in the past couple weeks after they changed the delivery territories. He said that before the change he at least had a handful of drivers in the area that were fairly reliable, but now he hardly ever sees those drivers and instead he has drivers like me that he has never seen before coming in two hours late. Anyway, the order ultimately gets cancelled and I end up picking up an order at a Taco Bell across the street before continuing on my way.

As I was coming into Mantaloking, I turned Uber on because I was approaching the boundary of my GrubHub territory. I immediately get a ping back to Brick (which is where the KFC was). 30 minutes away. Earn at least $7. Yeah.......no. Decline. I get a few more of those from Uber. Then I get a GrubHub ping, so I pull over to see what it is. This ping was for a Taco Bell in Howell. Howell. I realize that none of you guys know NJ geography, but according to the Uber ping that I just got it was about 30 minutes back to Brick. Howell is at least that far beyond Brick. I would say that to drive from Brick to Howell would be a solid 30-45 minutes. So driving from Mantaloking to Howell has to be at least an hour. Probably more than that. These are the kinds of ridiculous pings that I get on GrubHub nowadays. They don't really bother me because I just reject them. My acceptance rate since they changed the territory has tanked from around 60% to around 20%. It means that I am never going to get an hourly guarantee again, though, and I can't imagine that it is good for the restaurant or the customer when drivers are getting these kinds of ridiculous pings.

YourFoodIsGettingCold

The guarantee was nice while it lasted, but I have accepted that I will probably never see one again. I made some decent money off of it for a couple weeks for doing very few actual deliveries, though, so I think I came out ahead.

GrubHub expanded my delivery territory last week......significantly. The new delivery territory is 3-4x the square miles of the old delivery territory, and they don't hesitate to send you pings for restaurants that are 15+ miles away. Yesterday, I went to a music festival in Seaside Heights. On the way, I turned on GrubHub and did a few deliveries. In situations like this, I only do GrubHub because I can see the restaurant location and the customer location and only accept pings that take me in the direction that I want to go. Turned on the app around 11:30. Pretty soon I got a ping from a local Taco Bell heading in the right direction. While I was en route to Taco Bell, I got a ping from a KFC that was way south of where I was. Probably a solid 15 miles away. Normally I would reject that without a second thought, but it was in the right direction so I took it. Made the Taco Bell pickup and then got stuck in traffic on the way to the drop off for a street fair that I didn't know was happening. Made the drop off and then proceeded to the KFC in Brick. Moderate traffic along the way. Nothing serious, but it slowed things up some. Got to the KFC around 12:30.

So I walk into the KFC to make the pickup, and the guy at the counter tells me, "Double check your order. We don't have that order on the board any more." So I show him the order in my app, and he says, "That doesn't do anything for me. If it's not on the board, I can't make it." I tell him, "I understand that, but you told me to double check my order, so here's my order." So I call GrubHub support and explain the situation. Support tells me that they are going to resend the order to the restaurant. So I tell the guy at the counter that GrubHub told me that they're going to resend the order, and he reads me the riot act about how unreliable GrubHub drivers are and how we never show up on time and how orders sit on the stack for hours and the customers are upset because they're not getting deliveries in a timely manner. After he calmed down some, we had a legitimate conversation.....well, actually no. It was still just him talking but more calmly. One of the things he said is that things really went downhill in the past couple weeks after they changed the delivery territories. He said that before the change he at least had a handful of drivers in the area that were fairly reliable, but now he hardly ever sees those drivers and instead he has drivers like me that he has never seen before coming in two hours late. Anyway, the order ultimately gets cancelled and I end up picking up an order at a Taco Bell across the street before continuing on my way.

As I was coming into Mantaloking, I turned Uber on because I was approaching the boundary of my GrubHub territory. I immediately get a ping back to Brick (which is where the KFC was). 30 minutes away. Earn at least $7. Yeah.......no. Decline. I get a few more of those from Uber. Then I get a GrubHub ping, so I pull over to see what it is. This ping was for a Taco Bell in Howell. Howell. I realize that none of you guys know NJ geography, but according to the Uber ping that I just got it was about 30 minutes back to Brick. Howell is at least that far beyond Brick. I would say that to drive from Brick to Howell would be a solid 30-45 minutes. So driving from Mantaloking to Howell has to be at least an hour. Probably more than that. These are the kinds of ridiculous pings that I get on GrubHub nowadays. They don't really bother me because I just reject them. My acceptance rate since they changed the territory has tanked from around 60% to around 20%. It means that I am never going to get an hourly guarantee again, though, and I can't imagine that it is good for the restaurant or the customer when drivers are getting these kinds of ridiculous pings.
Sorry to hear that. I just started with GH, to actually obtain the guaranteed GH contribution do you have to accept 90% of offers during that block or for the entire day that you are online with them?

Launchpad McQuack

Sorry to hear that. I just started with GH, to actually obtain the guaranteed GH contribution do you have to accept 90% of offers during that block or for the entire day that you are online with them?
For the entire day, regardless of whether you are on block or off block. You can accept every ping during your block and then lose the guarantee if you reject or miss a ping while you are driving off block later in the day. That is one of the shady things that GrubHub does.

Another shady thing that they do is that they count all of the money you made for the day (both during your block and while driving off block) to determine whether they pay you the guarantee.

Example: Lets say that you are guaranteed at least $15/hour during your block. You sign up for a two-hour block around lunch time, and it's dead. You're online for two hours, but you only get one ping during the block for $7. GrubHub owes you a minimum of $30 ($15/hour x 2 hours), so you should have $23 coming your way, right? You take the afternoon off and then you go online in the evening even though you're not scheduled for a block. Now it's busier and you get fairly regular pings and you make $24 in two hours working off block. Not great money, but not terrible either. How much did you make total for the day? Most people would think that you made $54 ($30 for your two-hour block + $24 off block). GrubHub is not most people, though. According to GrubHub, you made $31 ($7 for your two-hour block + $24 off block). But wait a minute, what about the extra $23 that GrubHub owes me so that I made the guaranteed minimum of $15/hour during my block? Here is where an important distinction comes in. GrubHub does not guarantee that you will make $15/hour during your block. GrubHub guarantees that for each hour that you work on block, you will make at least $15 for the day. So in our little example, you worked two hours on block so GrubHub guarantees that you will make at least $30 for the day. You made $31 for the day ($7 during your block + $24 off block), so GrubHub doesn't owe you anything extra. Never mind that you actually made that $31 in four hours.........which averages out to a sweet $7.75/hour.

So the moral of the story is to not go online off block if you have any significant guarantee coming your way for on-block hours worked earlier in the day.

YourFoodIsGettingCold

For the entire day, regardless of whether you are on block or off block. You can accept every ping during your block and then lose the guarantee if you reject or miss a ping while you are driving off block later in the day. That is one of the shady things that GrubHub does.

Another shady thing that they do is that they count all of the money you made for the day (both during your block and while driving off block) to determine whether they pay you the guarantee.

Example: Lets say that you are guaranteed at least $15/hour during your block. You sign up for a two-hour block around lunch time, and it's dead. You're online for two hours, but you only get one ping during the block for $7. GrubHub owes you a minimum of $30 ($15/hour x 2 hours), so you should have $23 coming your way, right? You take the afternoon off and then you go online in the evening even though you're not scheduled for a block. Now it's busier and you get fairly regular pings and you make $24 in two hours working off block. Not great money, but not terrible either. How much did you make total for the day? Most people would think that you made $54 ($30 for your two-hour block + $24 off block). GrubHub is not most people, though. According to GrubHub, you made $31 ($7 for your two-hour block + $24 off block). But wait a minute, what about the extra $23 that GrubHub owes me so that I made the guaranteed minimum of $15/hour during my block? Here is where an important distinction comes in. GrubHub does not guarantee that you will make $15/hour during your block. GrubHub guarantees that for each hour that you work on block, you will make at least $15 for the day. So in our little example, you worked two hours on block so GrubHub guarantees that you will make at least $30 for the day. You made $31 for the day ($7 during your block + $24 off block), so GrubHub doesn't owe you anything extra. Never mind that you actually made that $31 in four hours.........which averages out to a sweet $7.75/hour.

So the moral of the story is to not go online off block if you have any significant guarantee coming your way for on-block hours worked earlier in the day.
Thanks for the info. Do the hourly guarantees change? My app states it's $10, is that in stone? If it is, then the guarantee is worthless since I can easily accept a ping DD, PM, or UE while on a GH delivery.

Screenshot_20190520-012757.jpg